Hammerhead karoo- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hammerhead karoo

I've been getting ads like crazy for hammerhead on my FB account. Says 45 day free trial. Anybody use one? Like it? No? Discuss
    Last edited by ewadz3006; 11-02-2019 at 06:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Iíve been curious as well, went to the website and read this;

ď We're excited to offer you this exclusive, limited-time opportunity to get your Hammerhead Karoo at a discount. Karoo will sell for $499 when we've fully scaled up our manufacturing, distribution, and software in only a few months.Ē

Well, the price has always been $399 and I cannot recall them ever mentioning that the price might go up. They comment about scaling up to full manufacturing and thatís been expected for like, 2 years or so and never seemingly happened, so my read on this is the same old BS theyíve been putting out. That BS seems like all theyíve scaled up to.

That said, I read on occasion (bikeforums.net) from the very occasional person that owns one and states they are very well thought out, great screen, good maps, the Android OS is very flexible and an ideal platform to work on, features are OK, it seems you have better connections to other route generators, but still need WiFi to connect, cannot do BlueTooth to a smartphone and use cell data service, which I think is a major shortcoming. It seems that improvements and features seem to roll out slowly and itís like the whole concept went nowhere, or at least is taking forever to get there.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ewadz3006 View Post
    I've been getting ads like crazy for hammerhead on my FB account. Says 45 day free trial. Anybody use one? Like it? No? Discuss
    I own a Karoo, and I feel that Iíve gotten decent use out of it. The key to ďliking itĒ depends on your placing importance on features that it happens to do pretty well...rather its many features that have been poorly implemented since itís inception and, for the most part, remain so today.

The screen is large and has a higher resolution than any others I know of, which is great. My biggest priority is simply to follow the mapped mtb trails in my area. Hammerhead uses Mapbox as itís map provider, and the maps are built off of the Open Street Map (OSM) system. Iíve added a lot of content (i.e., local trail systems, edits to existing trails, etc.) to the OSM base map, so some of these trails appear on the Karoo. On the other hand, you canít download OSM maps directly to the Karoo ó they can only be downloaded via the Mapbox system. The problem is that Mapbox doesnít commit to any set frequency of updating their maps. In practice, it seems that they *might* do an update within six months or so of the previous one, but I suspect that the lag is more like a year or more. Which means that you have to deal with missing map content for long periods of time. Many of the Garmin units (including ones Iíve owned in the past) allow you to directly download OSM maps, keeping them much more current.

There have been many complaints about the Karooís battery life. Since I only do 1-3 hour rides and recharge after each ride, the battery issues havenít affected me (again, my needs steer clear of the Karooís shortcomings). The road guys who do centuries, though, have been very dissatisfied. There has been similar discontent among riders who want *accurate* turn-by-turn ride instructions, Garmin Varia and DI2 compatibility (recently added, but not sure if itís working correctly), audible turn notifications, email/text notifications, structured workouts, etc. And, yes, as mentioned above, the development process has moved at a glacial pace ó two steps forward, one step (bugs) back. The work gives every indication that the persons at Hammerhead just arenít that good...or smart...and donít have an accurate feel for what cyclists want in a cycling GPS unit.

So, if youíre looking for a good screen with OK mtb maps and data fields for basic metrics, the Karoo could be for you. The 45-day trial offer does eliminate the risk of purchasing the device then finding itís screwing-up all of the things that you value. Itís certainly NOT a $499 value, and probably not even a $399 value...at least at this point. I bought mine used for $300, and Iím glad that I didnít invest any more than that. You can follow them on Facebook and on karoousers.org to get a little more of a feel for what Karoo users are saying...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I forgot to mention another big plus for me regarding the Karoo. You can operate it using the touch screen OR the buttons, which is really handy, particularly in the winter when you're wearing thick winter gloves.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Really good write up Fitman, thanks for the info.

I really wanted to like the Hammerhead and might have purchased one to replace a Garmin, except that my instinct told me all hype and little substance. That seems to have played out. I still really hope they get this rolling, it has really terrific potential to be a great unit. I almost wish they would just spend a lot of time with a Garmin 1030, figure out all the features it does well, then do that while making it less buggy than Garmins are known for. The lack of connection to a smartphone as example, leaves me puzzled. When my rides are complete, my Garmin dumps to the web either using WiFi, if itís available, or using BT to a phone that has cell data. That works very well, but Garmin just seems to have ongoing BT problems across the product range. Karoo on the other hand, skipped a smartphone link which I think is a mistake and why I would not consider. Too bad, poor design choice, IMO,

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I keep hearing about buggy Garmins but haven't experienced it myself.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses guys. I thought this was domething new that just came out. Sounds like I'll stick with my Garmin for now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I like the Karoo--easy to read, very customizable screens.

While they list at $399, a web search for coupons will turn up a &50 off code.

Members who have read this thread: 4