GPS for the Tour Divide- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Wrench
    Reputation: FNFAL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    769

    GPS for the Tour Divide

    Hello,

    I have been entertaining the idea of getting a GPS and using it during the Tour Divide this summer. I am completely new to this, but I have found Divide routes online that I can download for a GPS unit. However, I'm a little foggy as to where to start looking for an actual GPS.

    Could someone please point me in the direction of a good unit, preferably AA or AAA batteries, that I can start researching? Thanks.

  2. #2
    trail rat
    Reputation: slocaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,823
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL
    Hello,

    I have been entertaining the idea of getting a GPS and using it during the Tour Divide this summer. I am completely new to this, but I have found Divide routes online that I can download for a GPS unit. However, I'm a little foggy as to where to start looking for an actual GPS.

    Could someone please point me in the direction of a good unit, preferably AA or AAA batteries, that I can start researching? Thanks.
    Start with the sticky at the top of this forum.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

    CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

  3. #3
    Wrench
    Reputation: FNFAL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    769
    I read it. I understand it. I'll have a SPOT GPS unit for the race so my folks and friends can track my progress.

    However, I'm looking for a good GPS that tells me where I'm going and where I am while out and about in the wilderness.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6
    I'm just starting to figure it out, but I'll likely be using a Garmin Vista HCx. It seems to be one of the preferred units for longer multi day events like the TD despite being a slightly older model. It uses AAs. I believe that the bikepacking.net forums contain some discussions of GPS units with a focus on the Tour Divide.

  5. #5
    Wrench
    Reputation: FNFAL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    769
    Quote Originally Posted by Boney
    I'm just starting to figure it out, but I'll likely be using a Garmin Vista HCx. It seems to be one of the preferred units for longer multi day events like the TD despite being a slightly older model. It uses AAs. I believe that the bikepacking.net forums contain some discussions of GPS units with a focus on the Tour Divide.
    Thank you very much Boney I'll look into this.

  6. #6
    trail rat
    Reputation: slocaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,823
    The Vista HCx is good, look through the posts in this forum about the Oregon 450. It might be the best thing going at its size with the replaceable AA batts, long life, good sensitivity.

    @FNFAL, you first post was very open ended, did not indicate that you have done any research, and any GPS will do what you asked. Tough question to answer unless you have a few hours.

    What features are important to you, mapping, replaceable batteries, mount on bike, in pack, read and navigate while moving, biking only, other sports, hiking, geocaching?

    Sources:
    http://gpstracklog.com/buyers-guides...s-buyers-guide
    http://gpstracklog.com/buyers-guides/gps-for-cyclists
    http://gpstracklog.com/2011/01/best-...mber-2010.html
    http://bestgpsdeals.net/
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

    CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

  7. #7
    Wrench
    Reputation: FNFAL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    769
    Thanks guys, this info is really great.

    I'm looking at a GPS that...

    - Shows speed
    - Shows position
    - Durable and waterpoof
    - Gives position and can have the Tour Divide route uploaded to it
    - Runs off of available batteries (AA or AAA, if I'm lucky) and has a decent battery life

    So basically, this will be my biking GPS.

    So out of the Oregon 450 and the Vista, what's the better GPS within my parameters?

  8. #8
    trail rat
    Reputation: slocaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,823
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL
    Thanks guys, this info is really great.

    I'm looking at a GPS that...

    - Shows speed
    - Shows position
    - Durable and waterpoof
    - Gives position and can have the Tour Divide route uploaded to it
    - Runs off of available batteries (AA or AAA, if I'm lucky) and has a decent battery life

    So basically, this will be my biking GPS.

    So out of the Oregon 450 and the Vista, what's the better GPS within my parameters?
    Both will do all of the above. You are at the point where you need to make your own decision. Toe - May - toe, Toe - Mah - toe.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

    CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

  9. #9
    Wrench
    Reputation: FNFAL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    769
    Heads, Oregon. Tails, Vista. Got it.

  10. #10
    trail rat
    Reputation: slocaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,823
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL
    Heads, Oregon. Tails, Vista. Got it.
    Now that the weekend activities are over, you will probably get more opinions. I have very limited use of the Vista Hcx as a loan from State Parks for trail survey purposes. I have not used an Oregon.

    I have a 60CSx that I use extensively in trail scoping, survey, and design work. I actually transfer all the data from it to my computer and then into the State Parks Vista to give the data back to them.

    I have used a 305 and 705, in fact the 705 goes on every bike ride and gets used five times a week.

    I am not sure a coin flip is needed, but you have still defined so few features that are important to you that it is almost impossible to give you a qualified recommendation on the hundreds of choices available. You need to provide more information in order to get more information, and it appears that you need to do more research to identify more features /. requirements in GPS functions.

    You have stated five items that you want. Every single GPS made will cover four of those. The replaceable battery item narrows down to dozens of choices still. Your question is just too broad to answer easily.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

    CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

  11. #11
    Wrench
    Reputation: FNFAL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    769
    The coin was heads. I think I'll be happy with my purchase.

    But thanks for all the help. I'm sure the GPS will be fine, it'll be the human that's the problem if I get lost.

  12. #12
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    27,653
    You probably made a better choice with the Oregon.

    If for anything (extra features you didn't address in your previous posts aside), because it has more memory capability (onboard plus memory card) to handle maps and trail data for a long route such as the one you're doing.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk
    You probably made a better choice with the Oregon.

    If for anything (extra features you didn't address in your previous posts aside), because it has more memory capability (onboard plus memory card) to handle maps and trail data for a long route such as the one you're doing.
    Although, with the Vista and a 8 GB mem card, he is not likely to run out of memory...

  14. #14
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    27,653
    Quote Originally Posted by hesher
    Although, with the Vista and a 8 GB mem card, he is not likely to run out of memory...
    He'd never run out of memory...because the Vista will run out of the ability to use that much.

    If he puts satellite imagery on the Oregon, he'll actually be making pretty good use of the memory capacity he has.

    Plus, the Oregon has a good hunk of onboard memory that the Vista does not have.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.