gps, gps w/ speed sensor, or gps w/ bike computer.....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

gps, gps w/ speed sensor, or gps w/ bike computer.....

I have a garmin 500. I understand it's not the most accurate when in the woods and navigating tight, twisty singletrack. My average speed and distance are way off. I would like to have accurate miles, distance, and speed for logging my training. I decided to just add the Cateye Padrone to log that stuff accurately, but my question is more about the speed sensor that I just realized Garmin made. Will adding the speed sensor take the place of my Padrone or does it only come into play when the gps loses a signal. It would be nice if it would make my off road rides more accurate with actual distance and speeds or would the garmin/ speed sensor option still have discrepancies?

Rich

since 4/10/2009
    On older Edges, and early firmware for the Edge 500, the speed sensor only kicked in when the GPS lost signal. That's not the case anymore. The speed sensor supersedes the GPS-based distance and speed calculations when it's present.

I recently added a speed sensor (the new magnetless hub-based one) to my Forerunner 310XT, and it was a good thing because my ride the other day had really bad reception problems and I would have lost over half of my ride without that sensor. But it does improve accuracy a bit (and that improvement in accuracy should result in a slight INCREASE in recorded distance).