Let's fly!

Garmin warranty and support

I have had great experiences with Garmin over the 15+ years Iíve had their products. They replaced my Forerunner 910xt, are placed in the wrist strap and a separate incident, and Iíve always helped me when I called them. Recently, I destroyed a 820 in a crash. They sent a replacement the same day I called. When I got it, I had some trouble pairing it with my phone, a phone support person got that resolved very rapidly for me. Iíve seen people post about poor experiences with them, I have used their warranty and service department multiple times over the 15+ years Iíve had Garmin products, they have ALWAYS been great for me and come through!

On a related note. I have a Thule T2 bike rack and, through my own error, broke the front wheel holder for one of the bikes. I found a company called Etrailer.com that sells a replacement on their website. I called them up and asked if the bolts come with it because I only have one of the bolts. He said the bolts donít come with it, he did not have them in stock, and he recommended calling Thule directly because they have great support.

I called Thule, explained that I broke the front wheel holder, needed a replacement, and did not have the bolts. She said she would be happy to ship the bolts to me. She asked if I had ordered the replacement wheel holder, I told her I had not, she said she would include the front wheel holder as well. WOW!!!!

I am completely and utterly amazed that the guy at etrailer.com recommended I call Thule. Major props to etrailer.com!!

I am completely and utterly amazed that Thule was willing to ship out replacements even though I told her that I broke it. Major props to Thule!!!

Iíve experienced a lot of poor service, so I thought I would give a shout out to companies that are giving great service.
    '13 Spec Epic 29er, '09 Orbea CX, '12 Cannondale SuperSix, '08 Spec Transition, '06 Simtra Trials (sold), Yamaha YZ450 (sold)

since 4/10/2009
    Garmin's been good to me, too. Recently posted about my own experience. I destroyed my 520 in a crash, and it was WELL outside of warranty. I found their crash replacement program to be fair and reasonably prompt (the Thanksgiving holiday delayed things by a few days).

Your experience with Thule makes me think I should give them a call, too. I have some Lowrider towers that are probably 13yrs old or so that are pretty weather-beaten. The real issue are the straps that hold the towers to the factory rails. I wanted to just replace those straps, but it doesn't appear that those are a part I can buy and that I'll have to buy all new towers. Been dragging my ass on dealing with it, because it's a low priority job right now.

mtbr member
    Saris is liberal with replacement parts too. e.g. Straps on my 8 year old rack were too short to go around my new wider tires and taller rims so they sent me new longer ones free. Of course these companies build that generousness into the price of the products. They ensure they have enough margin to be able to afford to be generous.
    Do the math.