Garmin Training Center with newer Garmins? (830 being considered)- Mtbr.com
    It's carbon dontcha know.

Garmin Training Center with newer Garmins? (830 being considered)

Does anyone know if a new Garmin 830 will sync with Training Center?

I'm thinking about updating my Garmin 800 but I still happily keep my ride data on my computer and I've 12 years worth in Training Center.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    An answer might be here

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fit.../723008#723008

Seems a 520 owner was not able to have TC read his unit, when it updated to a new OS. This was 2 years ago. I suspect the answer will be no.

The not terrible news is that Garmin states they will port your TC data to the online based Connect system. 12 years worth ?, that's a good question.

OTOH Connect is a decent piece of software. It's the only activities tracker that actually understands how to deal with a pool based swim workout, thus I use it frequently. I also migrated to RodeWithGPS, which I like and paid for eventually.

since 4/10/2009
    Wasn't able to get it to work with my Edge 520, but that was a long time ago and I didn't try THAT hard.

Sounds like I might be SOL.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    Sounds like I might be SOL.
    Only in terms of needing to start using a new activity tracking system. Iíve been thru 4 in 30 years, book form, then a computer based custom spreadsheet program (Aimbie Software) that went out of business, then online/smartphone with Endomomdo, now in Garmin and RWGPS. I was able to put the Aimbie activities into Excel so can still view them, the Endomomdo stuff I still have access to, and Garmins been 5 seasons so have that. Online is OK as I can access from different devices. As well, I pretty much never go back more than a few years to access an activity.

And thatís the question, do you actually access ride date from 12 years ago ?? Iíve logged separately my yearly mileage, so always have that available. But maybe moving to a new formate isnít terrible.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Catmandoo View Post
    Only in terms of needing to start using a new activity tracking system. Iíve been thru 4 in 30 years, book form, then a computer based custom spreadsheet program (Aimbie Software) that went out of business, then online/smartphone with Endomomdo, now in Garmin and RWGPS. I was able to put the Aimbie activities into Excel so can still view them, the Endomomdo stuff I still have access to, and Garmins been 5 seasons so have that. Online is OK as I can access from different devices. As well, I pretty much never go back more than a few years to access an activity.

And thatís the question, do you actually access ride date from 12 years ago ?? Iíve logged separately my yearly mileage, so always have that available. But maybe moving to a new formate isnít terrible.
    Nice thing about the online systems now is that they have the ability to import from other services, do batch exports if you ever need to change services, and also do batch imports.

So if you've got all the files on your hard drive in Training Center, then it'll be easy peasy to migrate to Connect. And from there, Connect can send to Strava, RWGPS, etc depending on what you like. Connect definitely does certain data visualizations better, but other services do other things better. RWGPS does better for building routes. Strava is more social. And so on. If you're more interested in raw fitness metrics, there are services that do that better, too.

I was on Motionbased back before Garmin bought them. But I have also used Topofusion (far less so now that the dev hasn't issued updates in a number of years). Right now, I use Garmin Connect, RWGPS, and Strava. Each for their own purposes. But I only "upload" once. I usually do so through the computer when I plug my Garmin in to charge. But occasionally such as when I'm on road trips, I'll upload through my phone.

Joining the 21st century is kinda nice sometimes.

I do glance back through the old data stored in TC.
    I'm also still happily using Mapsource for my route planning, along with other installed tools when I need to manipulate files - Topofusion, WinGDB3 plus others.

Basecamp was always terrible when I tried using it, so I happily stuck with Mapsource. I find it useful when planning a trip as I can easily gather all rides being considered in once file before saving off to my GPS unit.

I'm aware I can bulk upload into the various online tools, but it's nothing anything I "need" - hence the question if anyone was still managing to use TC with a newer unit.

since 4/10/2009
    Oh, man, if you're still using Mapsource for planning, your world is gonna be rocked using MapMyRide for that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    As this is a mt. bike site, I need to mention that a lot of really good route creation is now found on TrailForks. It's arguably the largest current online data base of bike specific trails. My local club has essentially stopped updating their hand drawn maps and just refer folks to TF.

The good part of this is the 830 can use the Garmin iQ TF app for the device. If you draw out a route on the TF online program and save it in your favorites, you then use the app on the device, to find that route and download to the device. You do not need to physically connect via USB cable, the device to a computer for this, it's done via a cell phone WiFi or cell data connection, thus you can do it on the fly if there's cell service. As well if you are not navigating, you can still download the maps for a particular trail system right to the device just to view on the devise while riding. It's a very useful system, IMO.

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by Catmandoo View Post

Yeah I exported/imported all my endomondo stuff into garmin connect (2009-2012), actually maybe even more, i seem to remember my old fr610 would load into training centre, and then when I got an edge 1000 and got connect I uploaded everything to connect, in 2014.
    All the gear and no idea.

For anyone who might care, an 830 running the 5.48 firmware (didn't even use the unit with any other version) had no issues synching a ride into GTC.