Garmin-strava problem- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LewisQC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    561

    Garmin-strava problem

    Hi! I have a Forerunner 645 music and like to save my activities on Strava. I'm no racer but since I ride mostly alone, it gives me challenges from time to time trying to beat my own PR or others on any given day. I don't look at my watch while riding and I'm not into live segments. When running there's no segment showing on strava after my run is uploaded but for cycling it seems to be working fine (so it shows segments when upload on strava). I noticed that the first time running with a friend on my usual loop. His Garmin Fenix was showing 9 segments and mine none... I tried different things from time to time, looking on internet, on strava forum or garmin forum without success... If someone have an idea to fix this I would appreciate it...
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2017 Devinci Hatchet Carbon
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    2,237
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisQC View Post
    Hi! I have a Forerunner 645 music and like to save my activities on Strava. I'm no racer but since I ride mostly alone, it gives me challenges from time to time trying to beat my own PR or others on any given day. I don't look at my watch while riding and I'm not into live segments. When running there's no segment showing on strava after my run is uploaded but for cycling it seems to be working fine (so it shows segments when upload on strava). I noticed that the first time running with a friend on my usual loop. His Garmin Fenix was showing 9 segments and mine none... I tried different things from time to time, looking on internet, on strava forum or garmin forum without success... If someone have an idea to fix this I would appreciate it...
    Runs on my OLD Garmin watch will show segments when uploaded to Strava.

    I guess the only question I have is "are you uploading the Garmin activity as a 'run'"?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LewisQC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    561
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    Runs on my OLD Garmin watch will show segments when uploaded to Strava.

    I guess the only question I have is "are you uploading the Garmin activity as a 'run'"?
    ahah yes I checked a few time to see if there was another form of running... I tried a few things today we'll see on my next run if it makes any difference...
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2017 Devinci Hatchet Carbon
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo

  4. #4
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,311
    also, post screen shots of the map view of your run and your friend's run. Showing the two overlaid on top of each other (Strava Flyby will do this) would be helpful.

    Does Strava show that you ran "with" your friend?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LewisQC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    561
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    also, post screen shots of the map view of your run and your friend's run. Showing the two overlaid on top of each other (Strava Flyby will do this) would be helpful.

    Does Strava show that you ran "with" your friend?

    My strava show that I ran with my friend but if I click flybys it seems my run won't show (it's just a random world map without my run). If go on my friend's activity and click flybys I can see an animation of his run (picture above) but it won't show mine. I'm not familiar with flybys I don't know if those findings tell something of interest for my "problem"!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Garmin-strava problem-capture-d%92%E9cran-2020-05-10-%E0-13.44.28.jpg  

    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2017 Devinci Hatchet Carbon
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LewisQC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    561
    For cycling, flybys are showing. Looking at my runs, maybe 1/3 I can see flybys and some segment in fact (for example I ran four time in Mexico this winter on a trip and it was showing segments). I'm wondering if it can be influence by the way my activity is upload
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2017 Devinci Hatchet Carbon
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo

  7. #7
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,311
    that does show me something useful. It shows me that there's some data that isn't recording on your watch.

    maybe there's an error and Strava is throwing something out. Maybe your settings are messed up somehow. It's hard to say. It might be useful to do a hard reset on the device to revert to factory defaults. You'll have to go through device setup again, which will be annoying. but unless you can sift through the settings and find something that's not right, it may be the best way to go.

    What does the activity look like on Garmin Connect? Does your track show up there? Anything look off about the activity details on Connect?

    If everything is fine there, then there may be a problem with the transfer from Connect to Strava. Try disconnecting them, then reconnecting the services.

    If it's not fine on Connect, maybe reach out to Garmin support.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LewisQC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    561
    thanks for your time Harold. Runs that show maps when uploaded (both on strava and Garmin connect) are the one that records segments as well. Those that don't show my route on a map are the ones where all segments are missing... I just don't know why sometime maps are there and other time they're not... I'm wondering if it can be related to the way the activities are uploaded (mobile connect on my phone, vs wifi at home or if connect my watch to my computer...) I'll try a few more things and if it's not working I'll try the reset option.
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2017 Devinci Hatchet Carbon
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo

  9. #9
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,311
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisQC View Post
    thanks for your time Harold. Runs that show maps when uploaded (both on strava and Garmin connect) are the one that records segments as well. Those that don't show my route on a map are the ones where all segments are missing... I just don't know why sometime maps are there and other time they're not... I'm wondering if it can be related to the way the activities are uploaded (mobile connect on my phone, vs wifi at home or if connect my watch to my computer...) I'll try a few more things and if it's not working I'll try the reset option.
    Are you starting your run before your GPS has acquired a solid satellite signal and has locked on your location?

    IME, firing up my GPS and starting my activity before I get full signal lock often results in extended periods of time where the GPS struggles to lock on my location. Modern GPSes have a sort of ability to "cache" or "remember" which satellites to look for, so momentary lapses in reception don't cause the computer to lose it completely. It "goes with the flow" so to speak and is able to reacquire relatively quickly and with minimal disruption of your recorded data. However, if you start moving BEFORE it has figured out the visible satellites, then it's unable to do any of this and it makes it more difficult to acquire position in the first place.

    Does your watch have another distance measuring device (like a foot pod, or how I use a wheel sensor on my Edge)? Does yours report a total distance when there's no map? Do you have a HRM recording data?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LewisQC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    561
    I finally figure it out... My running loop was inside my confidentiality zone so all strava segment and my route on the map were not showing...
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2017 Devinci Hatchet Carbon
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo

  11. #11
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,311
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisQC View Post
    I finally figure it out... My running loop was inside my confidentiality zone so all strava segment and my route on the map were not showing...
    yep, that'll do it, too.

Similar Threads

  1. Garmin/Strava interface problem?
    By Streetdoctor in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-25-2017, 10:52 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-15-2014, 01:16 AM
  3. Replies: 50
    Last Post: 07-10-2014, 12:34 PM
  4. Creating Garmin TCX Courses from Strava GPX in Garmin Connect
    By canuck_tacoma in forum GPS, HRM and Bike Computer
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-14-2013, 08:50 PM
  5. Looking for a little help: Strava activity to Garmin Edge 305
    By vuduvgn in forum GPS, HRM and Bike Computer
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2012, 06:56 PM

Members who have read this thread: 48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.