mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Garmin route.for the Faifax Cross Ounty Trail

Looking for a map I can download and use.with my Edge 1000 that shows the entire CCT.

since 4/10/2009
    considering the geographic area that people who visit this forum come from, I think you're going to have to give a little bit more detail on the location.

further, what kind of map do you want? Do you want a .gpx/.tcx/.fit file that you can load as a course? Do you want a transparent basemap that you can load and follow visually? The sort of map you want is going to determine where you go to look for it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    The map file I am looking for would have to be Garmin compatible. I think gpx would work. The trail I mentioned was the Gerald Connoly Cross County Trail in Fairfax, VA. Also the map would have to be able to show my location as I rode along the route.

mtbr member
    It's pretty easy to create your own course for that, or many other rides. You can go to a site like Ride With GPS (rwgps) and lay it out. Sign up, go to Plan, select OSM maps, and the trail will show up on the map. Click where you want to start and on points along the trail until the end, save it, then export it as a GPX file which you can copy the the New Files directory on your Garmin.
    Do the math.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Phread View Post
    The map file I am looking for would have to be Garmin compatible. I think gpx would work. The trail I mentioned was the Gerald Connoly Cross County Trail in Fairfax, VA. Also the map would have to be able to show my location as I rode along the route.
    Sounds to me like you're not fully aware of what the differences between the various options will do or how they work.

start here:
    www.gpsfiledepot.com

Download get topo basemaps for your state. Since you're in the eastern US, also take a look at the MyTrails layer. The one you want may or may not be in that file. But try it and look for it.

If you can't find it there, then search on all of the gps file upload sites you can find for a downloadable .gpx file for the full trail. It's probably a Strava segment. It should be on either MTBProject or Trailforks, if not both. Maybe Singletracks, too. Use the program GPX2IMG to convert that file into a transparent map you can layer with topos on your Garmin.

This will simply show the included trails, contours, roads, streams, etc on the map screen of your gps, with your position overlaid. It's not searchable. It won't give you a distance. It won't "route" you anywhere. But it'll show you location. The GPS also won't bother you while you're riding.

If Trailforks has it, you can probably install the Trailforks app on your Garmin to access it that way, too. I don't know how that all works, since I don't use it, but it exists as an option.

If you want it routable, then it HAS to be a .gpx that you can convert to a Course (can do this on your GPS). Same search parameters apply. But like Lone Rager said, you can also hand draw your own .gpx file on websites like RideWithGPS as long as the trail you're interested in is visible on one of the map layers available there (OSM Bike layer, satellite images, etc - not all trails will be on OSM).

Be forewarned, navigating a course on a narrow mtb trail will often generate lots of beeping and popups on the Garmin about being "off course". You can shut it all off, or not. What I wish for would be a threshold setting to reduce the warnings (but not eliminate them altogether), but that doesn't exist.

Worst case scenario, you get a paper map of the area in question, and you go out and ride it yourself, saving a track of the file. You can then load that trail onto OSM for others to use. It'll eventually populate onto RideWithGPS. You can submit it to Trailforks. You can submit it to MTBProject. That way other people can navigate it digitally in the future. But chances are, it's already on one of these resources.