Garmin mount insert- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Garmin mount insert

I managed to break my 520 off itís out front mount with my knee, the insert broke protecting the mounting tabs on the 520 (good thing) but everything Iíve managed to find on line says the sacrificial insert isnít replaceable (bad thing).

Is this true? Garmin doesnít sell the insert?

Iím using one of the bar mounts for now but much prefer the out front backwards over the stem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Have you searched Google? I don't have a Garmin, but I recall reading something about inserts.

I searched Garmin mount insert and there are a lot of pictures....perhaps check that and see if those inserts are what you need. Perhaps the inserts are not for Garmin specific mounts, but aftermarket?

mtbr member
    Yeah there are lots of inserts but most if not all are replacements for K-Edge mounts and most answers on amazon says the k edge replacement doesnít fit the Garmin mount but I was hoping to hear from users here.

since 4/10/2009
    so this is weird. I looked at my Garmin out front mount, and the insert is clearly removable/replaceable. The screws are on the underside of the mount, and thread into the knurled nut inserts you see in your pic. I could not find such an insert on Garmin's website. My own Google search did not turn up any inserts that are threaded like the Garmin one. The screws all thread into the mount base and the screw head is countersunk into the insert, and holds the insert in place.

why would garmin make this part replaceable, but then not sell the replacement part?

I'd reach out to Garmin's customer service and ask them WTF. Then if they don't supply you with a replacement, buy an aftermarket mount that has readily available replacement inserts, or is cheap enough to replace outright.

mtbr member
    Perhaps the K-Edge Garmin inserts also fit the Garmin mount? https://k-edge.com/shop/computer-mou...in-insert-kit/

Tim

mtbr member
    ^^^ won't work. Screws go the wrong way, if nothing else. If it does fit in the Garmin mount, it might be possible to use some longer screws with nuts under the mount...?

Perhaps the intention of Garmin's insert may be allow using two materials, a strong one for the structure, and a frangible one for the insert so as to reduce the possibility of breaking the tabs on the Edge.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Perhaps the intention of Garmin's insert may be allow using two materials, a strong one for the structure, and a frangible one for the insert so as to reduce the possibility of breaking the tabs on the Edge.
    You are correct. On the older units the tabs broke off the unit making it useless. Garminís solution is great but only if they sell replacement inserts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    so this is weird. I looked at my Garmin out front mount, and the insert is clearly removable/replaceable. The screws are on the underside of the mount, and thread into the knurled nut inserts you see in your pic. I could not find such an insert on Garmin's website. My own Google search did not turn up any inserts that are threaded like the Garmin one. The screws all thread into the mount base and the screw head is countersunk into the insert, and holds the insert in place.

why would garmin make this part replaceable, but then not sell the replacement part?

I'd reach out to Garmin's customer service and ask them WTF. Then if they don't supply you with a replacement, buy an aftermarket mount that has readily available replacement inserts, or is cheap enough to replace outright.
    Iíll message Garmin and report back.

The mount is $39.99 retail and can be found cheaper.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    You can buy cheap 3rd party bar mounts that have inserts that work w/ Garmin mounts. I found one recently for something like $10, so not cheap but much less that a whole new assembly from Garmin.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInYpsi View Post
    You can buy cheap 3rd party bar mounts that have inserts that work w/ Garmin mounts. I found one recently for something like $10, so not cheap but much less that a whole new assembly from Garmin.
    got a link to such a thing?

Me, I'd rather buy something like a k-edge, where the inserts are easy to get.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by James80 View Post
    I managed to break my 520 off itís out front mount with my knee, the insert broke protecting the mounting tabs on the 520 (good thing) but everything Iíve managed to find on line says the sacrificial insert isnít replaceable (bad thing).

Is this true? Garmin doesnít sell the insert?

Iím using one of the bar mounts for now but much prefer the out front backwards over the stem.

Reviving the thread. Good news and bad news.

Bad news, I contacted Garmin directly to purchase a replacement insert, they do not sell them and I have yet to locate an aftermarket part that confirms compatibility.

Good news, they offered to send me a replacement out front assembly for free as a goodwill gesture.

A for customer service, F for not offering the replacement.

Did this over the customer support chat, so no hold time and automated menus to deal with. Simple and fast.

since 4/10/2009
    Serious fail for making a mount with an insert, but then not offering said insert for sale for when people inevitably crash and break it.

mtbr member
    Definitely. At least breaking the insert and having to get an entire new mount is preferable to breaking the tabs on the Garmin and having to get a new (or "refurbished") Garmin, which is the other way this can go. Either way, it's kinda lame on Garmin's part to not offer replacement inserts or replacement backs.
    What, me worry?

since 4/10/2009
    Definitely. At least breaking the insert and having to get an entire new mount is preferable to breaking the tabs on the Garmin and having to get a new (or "refurbished") Garmin, which is the other way this can go. Either way, it's kinda lame on Garmin's part to not offer replacement inserts or replacement backs.
    Well, the other way they could go would be to stop pretending that the mount itself isn't entirely sacrificial (because it is, the insert serves no real purpose at this point) and make the whole thing out of the same material that winds up being sacrificial.

The solution I see here is to run the replacement Garmin mount until it breaks, and then replace it with something that offers true replaceable inserts, like a K-Edge or something.

mtbr member
    Yeah. We're wining and complaining about Garmin. K-Edge is good now...but originally they were all aluminum without a plastic insert so it was always the Garmin tabs that broke.
    What, me worry?

since 4/10/2009
    Yeah. We're wining and complaining about Garmin. K-Edge is good now...but originally they were all aluminum without a plastic insert so it was always the Garmin tabs that broke.
    no doubt. but at least k-edge sells inserts now. I have a SRAM quickview mount that's just plain, lightweight, molded plastic. No pretense of an insert. Crash and break it? Buy a new one. It's fairly brittle. It'll definitely go before the Garmin tabs. I also use the basic Garmin rubber band mount on one of my bikes. I just don't like any other mounts on that one. I have probably 20 of those things and 4x as many rubber bands, so if it breaks, then it's not like I'm hurting for a replacement.

The Garmin mount itself is fine. Good, even, because it's quite stable. Except it has replaceable inserts...but no inserts to buy for it. So the nice, stable base gets tossed if the insert fails like it's supposed to in a crash.

mtbr member
    I have an Ali mount (ZTTO topcap type).
    Like this, but different store:
    https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32837357059.html

My insert broke so I mailed ZTTO.
    Yes they do have spares, but because of handling and shipment, buying a whole new mount was cheaper.
    Strange world.
    (The ZTTO insert does not fit TS's Garmin outfront mount)
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    If I had a choice, I would prefer a mount that has a sacrificial mode and would fail before the tabs on the device. Iím OK with replacing inexpensive mounts out to about $20 - $25 in value. Easier and much cheaper than having to have a Garmin replace the unit with a refurb.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Found a Chinese company that appears to make inserts that should work on the MTB mount. https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/33041...archweb201603_

Iím going to order to one to see how it is. Expensive even by Chinese standards if you include shipping!

mtbr member
    I printed a mount on a 3d printer and glued it on the back of a phone case to attach my phone to the Garmin mount.

This isn't the exact one I used but this is the idea:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2889942

I think you can get an item printed directly on that website if you don't have access to a 3d printer.

While you're at it you can print one of these.
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:40873

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mfacey View Post
    Found a Chinese company that appears to make inserts that should work on the MTB mount. https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/33041...archweb201603_

Iím going to order to one to see how it is. Expensive even by Chinese standards if you include shipping!
    Awesome. Good find. That's the sort of thing that aliexpress is actually good for, IMO.

mtbr member
    The aliexpress road bike mount I got for $15 CAD actually included an extra insert.

I thought it was an adapter for some non-garmin-mount device, and when it was the same I was initially confused as to why it was included.

Given the current mount installation on my aero road bike, I hope I never need it, knock on wood...
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration