Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx- Mtbr.com

Aug 2004

Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx

Hi all, can anyone recommend software to go with the above GPS?

I want it to cover the USA in full detail for mainly when riding in remote places, want to plot routes and don't want to get lost, contours heights, landmarks etc., and driving (road names etc...)

thanks

Head First

Aug 2004
    thanks - that's what i was looking for but their site was down this morning.

do you know if i can install this if i already have TOPO Great Britain installed. the memory card will be big enough, just want to know whether I have to uninstall Topo GB and install Topo US?

I know i won't be using topo gb, while i'm in the us but pain keep haivig to uninstall and reinstall

thanks for your help

Aug 2004
    that software has been discontinued

Head First
    I use this for my Garmin 60c. Install the software on your computer and download different regions from your computer to GPS. I don't have enough memory to hold every detailed map of the U.S. on my GPS so after I ride an area, I upload the tracks back into the topo software, delete the map and download the new ones. You should be able to hold more since you have the 60csx.

And no it hasn't been discontinued, I just went on their website and checked.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    how do you download the software to your computer? i keep having to switch between the east and west cd.

Aug 2004
    thanks for you help. i'll have to re-check UK websites to see whether it's available

Aug 2004
    i wish that sotfware was available on dvd. oh well. can anyone tell me what the unlock codes are for.? if i buy garmin software, does that mean i can only see some of it and needs unlocking codes to see all of it?

Aug 2004
    do you use your gps with a pocket pc (pda)?

Head First
    Quote Originally Posted by plork123
    i wish that sotfware was available on dvd. oh well. can anyone tell me what the unlock codes are for.? if i buy garmin software, does that mean i can only see some of it and needs unlocking codes to see all of it?
    It's been a while since I installed it, but I believe after I bought the software I didn't need to get any additional codes to use all of it. I don't think Garmin would make you go through all that trouble.

Also, I only use the software for my GPS never used it with a PDA.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    how do you download the software to your computer? i keep having to switch between the east and west cd.
    the mapsource program is going to keep looking for the CD you need, so that won't work. I haven't tried putting the us topo CD's on a DVD, but it'll still most likely look for the particular CD.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by plork123
    thanks - that's what i was looking for but their site was down this morning.

do you know if i can install this if i already have TOPO Great Britain installed. the memory card will be big enough, just want to know whether I have to uninstall Topo GB and install Topo US?

I know i won't be using topo gb, while i'm in the us but pain keep haivig to uninstall and reinstall

thanks for your help
    as long as you have enough memory you can upload as many maps as you want, you can also turn off the ones youre not using and dont want to see without removing them

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by logbiter
    the mapsource program is going to keep looking for the CD you need, so that won't work. I haven't tried putting the us topo CD's on a DVD, but it'll still most likely look for the particular CD.
    Copy all the CD's to the hard drive, then install from the hard drive. That will take care of that problem. Alternatively you can copy to the hard drive after an install and alter the registry.

I'm not sure I'd recommend the MapSource topo product though. The topo resolution is pretty poor and the maps are fairly outdated. I'd recommend MapSource City Navigator instead. With that you get detailed road maps which will work with the 60CSx's routing capabilities. You don't get contour info but I never really felt it was detailed enough to offer much help anyway.

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mjenkins
    Copy all the CD's to the hard drive, then install from the hard drive. That will take care of that problem. Alternatively you can copy to the hard drive after an install and alter the registry.

I'm not sure I'd recommend the MapSource topo product though. The topo resolution is pretty poor and the maps are fairly outdated. I'd recommend MapSource City Navigator instead. With that you get detailed road maps which will work with the 60CSx's routing capabilities. You don't get contour info but I never really felt it was detailed enough to offer much help anyway.
    Do you use the MapSource City Navigator with the GPSMAP 60CSx while mtb'ing? Do you need unlocking codes for it?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The MapSource City Navigator maps are still shown on my screen when I take the GPS mountain biking. It offers some help in figuring out where I am in relation to the nearest road. That said I don't rely on the mapping software for offroad navigation. I carry a real topo map, to use in conjunction with the GPS. I also have the MapSource Topo software and it will offer you a bit more electronic map data to look at while you are offroad, But I still find it isn't enough to rely on and I still carry a map. The reason I recommend City Navigator over Topo is because it is so much more useful in the car on the way to the trails.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Where can I find the registry entries that need to be altered?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    These links should put you on the right track:

http://www.stickyc.com/?p=1075
    http://karavshin.org/blogs/black-cof...ve/000237.html

The easiest way is just to copy the entire CD set or DVD to your hard drive and install from there.

If you need more help try this forum:
    http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=11

mtbr member
    May 2005
    These links should put you on the right track:

http://www.stickyc.com/?p=1075
    http://karavshin.org/blogs/black-cof...ve/000237.html

The easiest way is just to copy the entire CD set or DVD to your hard drive and install from there.

If you need more help try this forum:
    http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=11
    Thank you! Those links should be listed at the top of Garmin's support site.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

I'm not sure I'd recommend the MapSource topo product though. The topo resolution is pretty poor and the maps are fairly outdated. I'd recommend MapSource City Navigator instead. .
    The Topo maps offer enough information to allow you to navigate in the wilderness. If you understand how to interpret a topo map, it's invaluable in the wilderness. Without the topo, you wouldn't be able to find water easily, or know when you're climbing a mountain when you just as easily go around it. It only lists major roads, but you should buy City Navigator for street navigation.

I find the mapsouce topo of great value when I'm biking off road.

Members who have read this thread: 0