Garmin Edge 830: How to return to map zoom level after stopping and resuming?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Garmin Edge 830: How to return to map zoom level after stopping and resuming?

I just got an Edge 830 and am new to Garmin bike computers, so still learning.

One issue I've got is that when I stop riding and the recording auto-pauses, the map zooms WAY out (which is just completely pointless -- I don't need to see a map of my entire state on the tiny screen). Then when I resume riding, it doesn't return to the previous zoom level, so I have to TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP the screen repeatedly to get back to where I was. This happens with Autozoom set to off.

With Autozoom on, it will zoom out to the ultra-wide view, and then when I resume it zooms to a level where it shows my current location and the next turn (which could be miles away). Then it zooms in steps as I approach the turn. (Incidentally, when I come out of that turn, it does not zoom back out. But if I stop and restart, it does.)

Is this normal behavior? How do I get it to return to the zoom level it was at before I stopped without having to manually rezoom every single time? It is super annoying. For mountain biking, I like to have it at about the 800 ft or 500 ft level.

There is a surprising lack of detail in the owner's manual on how the zoom works.

since 4/10/2009
    I turn off almost all of the "auto" type functions.

There's almost no good reason to enable auto-pause. When you look at your ride later in whatever program/website/app you use, it will be processed for stopped time to adjust metrics.

The only good reason to use auto-pause is if you're using the device for training purposes and are using cadence or power meters, and stopping will muck up metrics based on those sensors. But even then, I think that if you're training, time that you stop for whatever reason is actually useful to include while you're out on a ride.

Also, I'd disable auto zoom. If you like your zoom level to stay in one spot where you set it, disabling those settings should get things to stay put.

What you describe of the behavior of your device from those functions is pretty much how they're supposed to work. There's a set of the population who wants their device to behave like their car GPS or their phone mapping app, and especially phone apps these days auto zoom depending on how fast you're going. Like you, I like a tighter view of the map screen when I'm riding my mtb so I can view the terrain and other features that aren't visible at really wide zooms. But roadies probably prefer the wider zoom levels. Garmin has shown for awhile that they don't really "get" mountain bikers' needs very well.

Garmin's owner's manual has always been pretty useless for detailed function descriptions, too.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I also keep the autozoom off, but this happens specifically with autozoom off. (In fact, the effect is not as bad with autozoom on, since it will at least zoom back in some of the way to show the next turn.) But with autozoom off, when I stop, it zooms way, way out, and then stays that way when I resume. This is pointless.

But I do like to keep autopause on, since I want to track metrics only when I'm moving and want the averages in-ride to account for only moving time. The one exception to this is when I am in a race and want total time and averages, since once the gun goes off, the clock keeps moving.

Nonetheless, autopausing should not change my zoom level -- at the very least, it should return to what it was before I stopped. There is no benefit to zooming way out to max zoom.

Incidentally, I just chatted with Garmin Support and was told this is NOT normal behavior and he would be opening up a case. Not entirely sure I believe that, but we'll see where it goes...

mtbr member
    There's a thread on that on Garmin's 830 forum.

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fit...fore-i-stopped

Seems like it's a feature.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    There's a thread on that on Garmin's 830 forum.

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fit...fore-i-stopped

Seems like it's a feature.
    Ha - that's actually my post. Trying to get a second opinion here. And I'd hardly call it a feature -- Garmin's support guy seems to think it might be a bug.

mtbr member
    Feature is a software engineer's euphemism for a bug.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Aha - In that case, I would agree!