Garmin Edge 530 and 830 2019 - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    Yep, I was about to say that. An accelerometer, gyroscope and accurate speed can get you close with some calculus. I've had some big ones where I just manualled the bike side but the air time was small.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
    Accelerometer I get. I've a Garmin swim watch that uses that method to measure strokes in a pool (freestyle, backstroke and fly, but not breaststroke). You tell it 25 yd. or 50 meter and it's mostly accurate and a nice watch.

But I doubt any Garmin Edge unit has a gyroscope (anybody actually know ?) and without a speed sensor the speed is not going to be accurate. From my experience riding pacelines on a road bike, am aware using plain old GPS, the speed is off by 2-5 seconds typically. Is why a lot of Garmin roadies who ride in groups will use a speed sensor.

Seems more gimmicky then reality, but who knows.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Catmandoo View Post
    Accelerometer I get. I've a Garmin swim watch that uses that method to measure strokes in a pool (freestyle, backstroke and fly, but not breaststroke). You tell it 25 yd. or 50 meter and it's mostly accurate and a nice watch.

But I doubt any Garmin Edge unit has a gyroscope (anybody actually know ?) and without a speed sensor the speed is not going to be accurate. From my experience riding pacelines on a road bike, am aware using plain old GPS, the speed is off by 2-5 seconds typically. Is why a lot of Garmin roadies who ride in groups will use a speed sensor.

Seems more gimmicky then reality, but who knows.
    Yeah it definitely has Accelerometer, not sure Gyroscope I've not seen it mentioned it any specifications anywhere - as for the Speed Sensor, I imagine any mountain biker would be buying the MTB Bundle which includes speed sensor along with a remote & rubber case. (I did anyway) - I doubt anyone really expects the Jump recording to be pin point accurate, but it's a fun statistic that caters to mountain bikers which as far as im aware no other device does currently.

mtbr member
    Solid state gyros are cheap and easy nowadays. Most all phones have 3 axis gyros. My Galaxy 8, previous 6 and whatever one I had before that had them. IDK about which Garmin devices may have them, if any. In a jump, you're in free-fall so there's no net acceleration of the CG. You could push, pull or otherwise do tricks with the bike which would affect the acceleration of the bike (and Garmin) but they would net out to zero during the jump. On the ground, you're averaging 1G going straight (bumps average to zero) and 1G+ in turns.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Blank3k View Post
    , but it's a fun statistic that caters to mountain bikers which as far as im aware no other device does currently.
    All that matters.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    On the topic of jumps, has anyone found a way to Export the Jump data from the 530/830 ? I've been using the Garmin Virb software with the 530's GPX files to render Speedos on GoPro video ... the Virb Software seems to support Jump data etc, but the gpx files from the garmin never seem to include that data.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Blank3k View Post
    On the topic of jumps, has anyone found a way to Export the Jump data from the 530/830 ? I've been using the Garmin Virb software with the 530's GPX files to render Speedos on GoPro video ... the Virb Software seems to support Jump data etc, but the gpx files from the garmin never seem to include that data.
    It's probably in the .fit files that the computer saves natively. If you're converting to .gpx, that jump data stuff is WAY beyond the "standard" .gpx spec and probably gets stripped out. It's part of the reason why Garmin moved to .fit files for their native format, because .gpx was a bit limiting for extra sensors and such.

mtbr member
    just used my 830 for the first time today. cannot for the life of me get it to sync rides. Manually syncing doesn't work even when both the 830 and GC say the phone is connected.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk View Post
    just used my 830 for the first time today. cannot for the life of me get it to sync rides. Manually syncing doesn't work even when both the 830 and GC say the phone is connected.
    I assume you are talking about a completed ride ?, or are you talking about a Course/Route you want to download and follow ?.

Assuming the first. The BT phone connections should say ďconnectedĒ and list the device with 2 BT connections, one as ďEdge 830Ē, the other as ďBTE_830Ē (at least thatís how my 1000 and 1030 are listed on my iPhone). The Garmin Connect Mobile app should list the device and show if itís connected or not. If itís connected, when you complete a tracked ride, stopping the ride should prompt you to Save. If you press that option, it should automatically upload to your the mobile app. Sometimes I have to manually sync the device before the completed ride shows up.

Note that the BlueTooth connection between phones and Garmin devices has been an ongoing issue for Garmin going back a few years and that they have never resolved. Thus you can start a ride and see that a device is paired and it then have it drop the connection during a ride. I always check the phone BT section to make sure that at least the basic Edge XXX connection is functioning before I assume a saved ride has uploaded to the GCM app.

Iím not sure if you need a Connect account for this, I just automatically set one up as I desired a location in the cloud to have rides stored. My account automatically send to RideWithGPS as I use that for all my tracked rides as well as planned routes.

mtbr member
    At this point I am only looking for my rides to get uploaded. I can see the Garmin 830 connection, but not the BLE connection. The garmin itself shows I am connected to the phone but no love.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    As stated prior, Garmin and BT have not been a happy couple for a bit, but hereís what they sent me to reset all BT connections. As note that I had functional and reliable BT connection with my 1000 to the Mobile app from day 1, then it broke a bit with an OS update. My 2nd 1030 still needs to have me on occasion manually connect a speed sensor, the Di2, the BT_Edge connection, will sometimes not send Live Track, often loses the BT_Edge connection, etc....

From the My Day page, select the More tab.
    Select Garmin Devices in Garmin Connect Mobile
    Select the Edge 1030.
    Select the 3 dots on the top right and remove the device.
    Remove from Bluetooth settings in your phone settings.
    Remove Phone pairing from Edge
    Go to the Edge 1030 Menu.
    Select Settings.
    Select Connected Features.
    Select Phone.
    Select Pair Smartphone.
    Select Forget this Phone.
    Turn off the phone Bluetooth.
    Turn off your device.
    Select the More tab, on the lower right.
    Select Settings.
    Sign out of Garmin Connect Mobile.
    Double tap the Home button on your iPhone (the round button the front) and swipe off all the applications.
    Restart the phone:
    Once your phone boots up turn on Bluetooth and make sure that location services are on.
    Go to Connect app and sign in.
    Select, Browse All Compatible Devices.
    Select Edge
    Select Edge 1030
    Put the Edge 1030 into pairing mode.
    Turn on device.
    Go to the Edge 1030 Menu.
    Select Settings.
    Select Connected Features.
    Select Phone.
    Select Pair Smartphone.
    Select Continue.
    In Garmin Connect Mobile, follow directions to pair

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    At this point I am only looking for my rides to get uploaded. I can see the Garmin 830 connection, but not the BLE connection. The garmin itself shows I am connected to the phone but no love.
    I connect via wifi 98% of the time. Try to connect to your network at home (assuming you have a home network).

I actually had Bluetooth enabled for a ride yesterday but it didn't auto-upload. I had to press the button that says "upload activity" or whatever it reads.
    That ride was the first time I've had to force it to upload, every other ride for about a month has uploaded as soon as I got home and enabled wifi.
    Other times I've had bluetooth enabled it's uploaded quicker than I could imagine.

Were you connected via bluetooth when the activities were created? Not sure if it matters -if it will automatically upload all previous rides once connected or if it's a manual upload (button press) for each older ride.

mtbr member
    IDK how this might apply to the 830, but I've had a 820 for over 3 years and BT was always totally flaky; working, not working, delete and reinstall everything, works for 3 rides then quits, Livetrack, no Livetrack, auto upload, no auto upload,... Most recently it was not working and then, a couple of weeks ago, it started working all on its own. It's connected as soon as it boots up even with the phone in another room. Livetrack works, and auto upload works. If I start a ride with no cell coverage and ride into coverage, Livetrack will start on its own as soon as I get coverage. IDK why it started working...a Connect update, Android update...? It wasn't a 820 firmware update or anything I did.

If Garmin has finally figured this out with the 820 (after 3 freekin' years), maybe the 530 and 830 won't be far behind...but I wouldn't hold my breath...
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I didn't think of it, and don't know if it matters -do you have the GarminConnect App installed on your phone?

since 4/10/2009
    Because of all the flaky BT issues people have had, I've never bothered to use any of the connected features on my 520 during a ride aside from one day a few years ago that I turned on weather alerts for a long road ride. It didn't end up being useful, as I was able to see the sky well enough that I could tell trouble was brewing before the GPS ever said anything. I dunno if it was actually working as it should have or not.

the only connected feature I ever use is uploading rides, and only occasionally when I'm on a road trip where I have solid enough cell reception to bother trying. I also keep BT on my phone turned off unless I specifically want to use it.

Like Forest Rider said, gotta have Garmin Connect app installed on phone. Without this, it won't work. I've never had to mess with telling my devices to forget each other. Once paired, they've always remembered each other fine. It seems the folks with the biggest problems with connectivity have been trying to use the always-on connected features, and the always-on reliability is where the real problem seems to be.

99% of the time, though, I upload by plugging my 520 into a USB cable attached to my desktop computer. Charges the device and uploads the ride at the same time. Also checks for updates. It's been a pretty reliable method for the most part. So I only use BT connectivity with my phone when I won't be going home after my ride. My desktop has BT, too. I don't bother with it in this scenario since I'm plugging the device in to charge anyway.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    The bluetooth on my 830 has worked more times than it has not worked. Still, that is only a few times.
    Looks like I have 20 rides with the device but I know I've only used the BT connection a few times.

Like Harold, I don't even use BT on my phone until I need to use it.
    If I used more of the connected features I'd have to keep the phone connected of course, but most of the stuff is useless to me as I ride the same local trails over and over.

And I don't need to be alerted of a text most of the time. I did enable it Saturday, had a text alert when I was hitting a technical/twisty bit of trails. I wasn't sure what the alert was for and glanced at the screen. I saw a bunch of text and assumed it was a text message.
    I think that feature should provide an audible alert and maybe have a status indicator that there is a text received, but not displaying the text on the screen. Too much of a distraction. Again, I won't get those alerts if not connected to bluetooth though so for me it is non-issue.

Report back with your findings if you could get your rides uploaded, and what you had to do to make it happen.

Loud tyres save lives
    Jul 2013
    I have the BT on a Garmin Fenix 5S connected 24/7 to a Galaxy Note 8 and similarly the 520 and 1030 which connect automatically each time and I've not had to re-pair or delete. The recommendation is to pair through the app rather than the system which I've always done although I find the device can make a difference, at one point the Note 4 started dropping BT connections regularly which turned out to be a firmware issue with the phone. When it was updated the BT issue went away and the phone could maintain its connection again to the Garmin device.

There was a non-BT issue with livetrack on the Garmin side for quite some time where the livetrack would appear to start but it would rarely update location although that issue appears to have been resolved and updates normally now for me.
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I personally think the underlying issue is that phones and tablets using iOS and Android get updated OS's so frequently that Garmin cannot, or will not, commit the resources to check how their assorted devices function with every change or do very cursory testing.

They have a LOT of fitness and activity trackers and they all pretty much use BT, as far as I can tell.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I personally think the underlying issue is that phones and tablets using iOS and Android get updated OS's so frequently that Garmin cannot, or will not, commit the resources to check how their assorted devices function with every change or do very cursory testing.

They have a LOT of fitness and activity trackers and they all pretty much use BT, as far as I can tell.
    Breaking changes do not happen that often within the OS and those that do are most often well communicated. One thing that I've seen is the Connect app not auto updating and causing issues.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Sneaker man
    I found over 5 or so years with my 1000, 620 and 645, I've had the odd BT issues, but they were few and far between. 95% of the time the BT worked fine.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Not going to rely on BT for the time being. Rides updates over WiFi work great! Good enough for me.

mtbr member
    After 3 weeks, I'm digging it. I have officially switched from my Ionic to the Garmin as my primary activity recorder. The wheel / speed sensor DEFINITELY helps with the accuracy. I would highly recommending buying this with any initial purchase. There is an auto detect and calibrate wheel size option so even if you switch wheelsets, it will adapt.
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Anyone know why the gps trace looks normal on Strava but is a basic zig zag line on the Garmin Connect app? Not had this with other Garmins and looking back older rides from those devices are still fine.

Garmin Edge 530 and 830 2019-b.jpg
    Garmin Edge 530 and 830 2019-.jpg

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DenyEverything View Post
    Anyone know why the gps trace looks normal on Strava but is a basic zig zag line on the Garmin Connect app? Not had this with other Garmins and looking back older rides from those devices are still fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	285.4 KB 
ID:	1284045
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	260.7 KB 
ID:	1284047
    I think what you're seeing is that at some point, the Garmin Connect app started to simplify GPS tracks that it displays. It's not actually changing the data. It's just reducing how much of it actually displays via mobile. I compared the app view with the Garmin Connect website, and the app definitely shows my last ride as more jagged. I don't have any recent urban rides to show my track on obvious roads, but I notice it just looking at mtb rides.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Interesting, guess they changed that somewhen in the gap between me having a 510 and getting the 830. Yeah I see now the website track looks more detailed than the app.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Garmin Connect Mobile on my iPad doesnít seem to modify a recorded track, I donít see this on my iPhone either. What I see on the app is a track locked onto existing roads.

Note that Garmin devices Iíve used (810, 1000, 1030) all have the ability to enable ďLock on RoadĒ, but I believe that only affects a track on the device map screen, not what gets sent to Garmin and on to other data trackers. I keep this feature On for road rides, Off for mt. bike rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Does Garmin typically have good Black Friday deals?

Itching to get a 530. Donít know if I can wait till then.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by steinercat View Post
    Does Garmin typically have good Black Friday deals?

Itching to get a 530. Donít know if I can wait till then.
    Garmin has sales, but I can't say that they consistently participate in big sales like that. Oftentimes, Garmin stuff gets excluded from large store-wide sales (in the fine print), and only appears on sale when Garmin authorizes it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    My experience with finding a deal on Garmin is to buy a model thatís being replaced with new. I picked up a 1000 a few years ago when the 1030 was introduced. It was being blown out by a GPS online vendor for $289, havenít seen it anywhere near that since and now they are discontinued. Trouble is, often times itís worth getting the newer model as itís sometimes more reliable than the previous. 830 vs 820 comes to mind.

Only real discount I ever see otherwise, is using an REI member coupon, or as in the case of the 1030 I purchased at my LBS using my 10% club membership discount.

mtbr member
    ... Trouble is, often times itís worth getting the newer model as itís sometimes more reliable than the previous. 830 vs 820 comes to mind...
    830 vs 820 would be a counterexample to your premise, IMO.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    830 vs 820 would be a counterexample to your premise, IMO.
    How so?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    How so?
    New Garmin models almost always have bugs and growing pains. It often takes a few years for Garmin to release enough updates to finally make the device stable and reliable. And it's not uncommon for some of those updates to be a step backwards. I received an update on an Edge 705 that bricked my receiver and enough others that Garmin actually rolled that update back.

That's a widely acknowledged aspect of Garmin's business model.

mtbr member
    How so?
    The 820 is the worst device Garmin has ever made, period. And IMO, the 830 is the best device Garmin has ever made. I posted a diatribe in one of these threads about it. The 830 is fantastic, the 820 is a titanic piece of absolute garbage.

Unfortunately, the 1030 is not a larger 830. The 1030 is a larger version of the 820. When Garmin releases a new 1000-series unit that has the logic of the 830 in it, I will buy it day one. I use my 8xx for trail and my 1xxx for road riding. I went through three 1030s before just saying screw it and going back to a 1000.

TLDR: 830 is great. 820 is crap. 1030 is crap.
    Trail: Scalpel-Si / Sherpa / Farley EX
    Gravity: Nomad / Wilson
    Road: Stigmata / Slate

My MTB Videos

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    OK Garmin Edge owners (530, 830, etc.) - question for you. Do you think the Mountain Bike Bundle is a good deal - or just getting the base unit is good? I am new to the vast amount of data these devices can collect and let you analyze, and it appeals to the analytical side of my brain. The mtb appeals to my "get out there and have fun" side.
    I already have a HR monitor, so no need for the sensor bundle package. But are the additional items in the MTB bundle helpful? I already have the speed sensor too.
    I'm leaning toward the 830, so, would the edge remote be used/helpful? Did you find them helpful? Does anyone use the silicone case?
    The only possible item would be the MTB mount. What makes this mount special?
    In short, if you had to do it again, would you buy the MTB bundle?

mtbr member
    You "need" a HRM and speed sensor.
    If you already have those (ANT+) then you're fine with just the unit.
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Riptide8 View Post
    Does anyone use the silicone case?
    I use a silicone condom on my Edge and my wife's Edge. It's more to be able to tell them apart than anything else, but it does help protect the case against smaller bumps and drops. It won't protect the device from a catastrophic impact, though.

Mounts tend to be an intensely personal thing. Depend on the bike, the rider's preferred ergonomics, and whatnot. I have 3 bikes and have 3 different mount locations. Different one for each bike, because the differences in the bikes make a notable difference in where I prefer the computer to be.

I think the mtb bundle is useful if you're starting from scratch. I also had a HRM and wheel sensor from previous computers, so I didn't need those bits from the bundle. I just bought the head unit only. But I do view the wheel sensor as essential for mtb uses. The HRM is less important for me. I only use it occasionally, tbh.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Riptide8 View Post
    OK Garmin Edge owners (530, 830, etc.) - question for you. Do you think the Mountain Bike Bundle is a good deal - or just getting the base unit is good? I am new to the vast amount of data these devices can collect and let you analyze, and it appeals to the analytical side of my brain. The mtb appeals to my "get out there and have fun" side.
    I already have a HR monitor, so no need for the sensor bundle package. But are the additional items in the MTB bundle helpful? I already have the speed sensor too.
    I'm leaning toward the 830, so, would the edge remote be used/helpful? Did you find them helpful? Does anyone use the silicone case?
    I got the MTB bundle. I like the case to prevent rock strikes.
    Doesn't sound like you are a candidate for the bundle.
    You can purchase the unit and pair it to your wheel sensor. I think the only difference in the new sensor is the size?

You can purchase the MTB mount if you want and still be ahead. I have the bundle but can't use the MTB mount in my situation, but I also needed a speed sensor. I didn't take into account that the MTB mount won't work for me when I ordered. Otherwise I may have gone with the base unit and wheel sensor. I could probably get away with the MTB mount in summer months though.
    I have not used the remote and can't understand why I would need it. I guess for start/stop functions while on the move but it's not a problem to use the buttons. I don't ever (almost never) set a lap, but the remote would help with that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Seventh-777 View Post
    The 820 is the worst device Garmin has ever made, period. And IMO, the 830 is the best device Garmin has ever made. I posted a diatribe in one of these threads about it. The 830 is fantastic, the 820 is a titanic piece of absolute garbage.

Unfortunately, the 1030 is not a larger 830. The 1030 is a larger version of the 820. When Garmin releases a new 1000-series unit that has the logic of the 830 in it, I will buy it day one. I use my 8xx for trail and my 1xxx for road riding. I went through three 1030s before just saying screw it and going back to a 1000.

TLDR: 830 is great. 820 is crap. 1030 is crap.
    I must have misunderstood Lone Rager's comment. I thought he meant the two were too similar to compare one as an upgrade.
    My bad

I'm an 830 owner and know how good it is.

since 4/10/2009
    I have not used the remote and can't understand why I would need it.
    I only see a couple limited uses for the remote. Keep in mind, the remote came out first with an earlier generation of models that included touchscreens that reacted poorly to sweat. So unnecessary touches to the screen would create problems. The remote would let you at least page through screens without needing to touch the suspect touchscreen. That, IMO, is actually a notable benefit. Annoying that you have to pay extra for that if you have already spent more on a touchscreen model, though.

The other being that you race or train at a fairly high level and moving your hand from your grip to control your computer is not wise. Especially in technical terrain.

Me, I don't ride at that level, so I don't have a problem stopping when I need to operate the computer. Typically, though, my computer is ignored over about 99% of my rides. I might check the map to see how close I am to a given intersection or other notable landmark, or I'll check the time, or whatever.

I see remote controls as more valuable for a road bike, but remote controls are done differently for road bikes (small buttons under the hoods).

mtbr member
    Remote would be nice in the winter too, with bar-mitts installed.

I'm supposedly trying to reduce the amount of ugly crap on my bars now, both mountain and road, but in the winter it's a lost cause.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Remote would be nice in the winter too, with bar-mitts installed.
    Good point. Also notable if you're wearing thick gloves. Touchscreens and little buttons don't like heavy gloves.

mtbr member
    I must have misunderstood Lone Rager's comment. I thought he meant the two were too similar to compare one as an upgrade...
    What I meant was that the 820 is a steaming pile of crap and the 830 is a more capable steamier pile of crap. The 830 does improve on the hopelessly erratic touch screen and poor battery life of the 820. Out of the gate it's firmware was hopeless, and it still has a way to go getting Garmin's typical ludicously buggy firmware sorted. The 820 was pretty bad out of the gate too, but not as bad, IMO, and after a couple of years its firmware has gotten reasonably OK.

FWIW, I had three 820s, the last a replacement due to the screen halo, and it was notably better than the previous two in terms of screen and general responsiveness. It was actually pretty usable. IDK if they made any hardware changes or what.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Garmin Edge 530 and 830 2019

Got my 530 today, but losing my mind trying to pair it with my iPhone.

Any tips?

Iíve reset Garmin, forget device, etc.

EDIT: Version 5.0 is out. Loads of fixes, including improved connectivity with iPhone X/11.
    Last edited by steinercat; 10-26-2019 at 05:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by steinercat View Post
    Got my 530 today, but losing my mind trying to pair it with my iPhone.

Any tips?

Iíve reset Garmin, forget device, etc.

EDIT: Version 5.0 is out. Loads of fixes, including improved connectivity with iPhone X/11.
    LOL -good one. I just popped in to mention that Version 5 is released today.

Hope it fixes your issue (I'm on Android so can't confirm for those with the iPhone).

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Question 530 and/or 830 users...

Do they allow you to define Activity Profiles and Bike Profiles in the Settings menu like the 510 does or are those features now gone? I downloaded and skimmed through the user manual for the 830 and I didn't see any mention of either.

Thanks!

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stahr_Nut View Post

Do they allow you to define Activity Profiles and Bike Profiles in the Settings menu like the 510 does or are those features now gone? I downloaded and skimmed through the user manual for the 830 and I didn't see any mention of either.

Thanks!
    Yes they do activity profiles.
    https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webh...DD309CFB2.html

Sneaker man
    I think the profiles are different to the old ones. Not sure how they used to work, but they were chang4ed from the edge 1000 onwards. You don't have any bikes stored, just profiles, you can call it whatever you want and it tracks milage of that profile, so you can set up as many as you want. It's pretty easy to use, but hard to explain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018

Thanks!
    I haven't found any type of bike profile, like Strava utilizes, if you know what that is or what you are referring to.

I have created 2 custom profiles for MTB use. The only thing it does for you is changes the color of the display and allows you to set your screens for data you wish to see.

I created a "custom" mtb to display the screens to what I feel are important, and it controls which screen the data is displayed on.

A second one I customized was 'mtb race' where I defined only the data screens necessary during a race.

It allows a few settings as well but not going to go into it, but yes those are part of a profile.

Nothing on the 830 will allow you to say which bicycle you were riding for mileage tracking purposes. You need to do that at Garmin Connect if you wish to assign bike and gear to an activity.
    I have to assume the 530 is the same but I do not have the 530 to say for certain.

Sneaker man
    ^yeah that's how it works...but you can track milage for a bike, kinda on the garmin, each profile will track it's own milage, so if you name a profile the name of the bike you will use, it will track milage and tell you...its not milage for the bike, but for the profile or activity or wahtever it's called, but if you only ever use it when on that bike then it will work.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I haven't found any type of bike profile, like Strava utilizes, if you know what that is or what you are referring to.

I have created 2 custom profiles for MTB use. The only thing it does for you is changes the color of the display and allows you to set your screens for data you wish to see.

I created a "custom" mtb to display the screens to what I feel are important, and it controls which screen the data is displayed on.

A second one I customized was 'mtb race' where I defined only the data screens necessary during a race.

It allows a few settings as well but not going to go into it, but yes those are part of a profile.

Nothing on the 830 will allow you to say which bicycle you were riding for mileage tracking purposes. You need to do that at Garmin Connect if you wish to assign bike and gear to an activity.
    I have to assume the 530 is the same but I do not have the 530 to say for certain.
    Thanks for that clarification. It's a bummer because I like having the bike profiles like I do on my 510. I like having them not only for mileage tracking purposes but because that is where you store the wheel circumference setting among other things like crank length, weight, etc. for each bike which allows me to easily move wheel senors around from one bike to another without having to recalibrate. I currently only have 2 wheel sensors and 5 bikes.

But I guess eliminating them solves the problem I have with my 510 occasionally randomly deleting my defined profiles and creating 15+ other profiles all on its own I can't edit. :-O

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    ^yeah that's how it works...but you can track milage for a bike, kinda on the garmin, each profile will track it's own milage, so if you name a profile the name of the bike you will use, it will track milage and tell you...its not milage for the bike, but for the profile or activity or wahtever it's called, but if you only ever use it when on that bike then it will work.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    The oddity about Activity and Bike profiles on the various devices, is any data saved about a tracked activity for that profile, stayed on the device. Garmin never saw the need to send the data up to the Connect site for use. So if you configure an activity profile for a particular bike - I have all my different bikes named as such and swap between profiles, the only way I get a yearly mileage readout is if I boot the device and search for the profile history. To me, the only useful thing about an activity profile is I get to configure different data screens and save for particular bikes. My Di2 equipped bikes as example, has gear combo indication, as thatís a useful thing to have on screen. I also set my mt. bike profile to have the contour lines in the map shown.

It would be useful to have the profile data online, and I mentioned it to Garmin tech. support once in a call, the tech. was like ďyeah, thatís a good idea, you should send that to usĒ. Since I use RWGPS, it has a feature to have a recorded tracked ride have a bike associated and I track that way when I edit.

mtbr member
    the only hiccup (to me) to using an individually named profile is that you can't manually adjust the starting miles on 530/830 like you could on the 510/810. Instead of tracking miles on the device, I know have to do it on Strava or Garmin Connect. Not world ending but still a bit irritating to be honest.
    Alea Jacta Est

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I just purchased a left over Garmin Edge 820 for the sole purpose of hearing a 'ding' to indicate the beginning and the end of Strava segments. I thought the Nav might be useful but as set up, it's worthless from my position.
    I also purchased the Premium Strava package and turned on notifications in Strava as well as linked the Garmin wiith my phone.
    Can anyone indicate what I may be doing wrong as I'm not hearing anything?
    Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Follow up question if you don't mind...

Do you know if you can manually assign a certain wheel circumference to a speed/distance sensor or is circumference determined via automatic calibration only on the current crop of devices?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bbbr View Post
    the only hiccup (to me) to using an individually named profile is that you can't manually adjust the starting miles on 530/830 like you could on the 510/810. Instead of tracking miles on the device, I know have to do it on Strava or Garmin Connect. Not world ending but still a bit irritating to be honest.
    Agreed, it is a bit annoying. Seems like simple enough functionality to incorporate especially since they used to have it on previous gen devices.

mtbr member
    ...Do you know if you can manually assign a certain wheel circumference to a speed/distance sensor or is circumference determined via automatic calibration only on the current crop of devices?
    Yes. You can set the wheel circumference manually. The Edge has to be near the bike and the sensor activated to access the manual setting, otherwise you won't see the setting available on the Edge.

Sensors are not matched to activity profiles. The Edge will use whichever paired sensors it detects when you turn it on. I have 12 various sensors paired with mine. If it detects more than one of a given type, you have to select which one you want to use. If you didn't name them when you paired them, you have to know which ID number matches the sensor in question.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Yes. You can set the wheel circumference manually. The Edge has to be near the bike and the sensor activated to access the manual setting, otherwise you won't see the setting available on the Edge.

Sensors are not matched to activity profiles. The Edge will use whichever paired sensors it detects when you turn it on. I have 12 various sensors paired with mine. If it detects more than one of a given type, you have to select which one you want to use. If you didn't name them when you paired them, you have to know which ID number matches the sensor in question.
    Good info. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Follow up question if you don't mind...

Do you know if you can manually assign a certain wheel circumference to a speed/distance sensor or is circumference determined via automatic calibration only on the current crop of devices?
    Yep, like Lone Rager stated.

I have 2 different wheel sensors paired to the 830 (each bike).
    I named the sensor to match the bike to take the guess work out of it. LOL
    If I am messing around in the garage with both bikes, both sensors will be awake and I'll have to select which of the 2 I want to use.
    Otherwise, when you start a ride you'll be notified that the named sensor was found (or it will have already notified you prior to the ride if sensor was awoken during unloading).

You can also get into the sensor profile and change the circumference whenever you feel like it, including turn on or off the 'auto' feature that will auto calculate the wheel circumference.

mtbr member
    ^^^ yeah. Auto cal is best done on fairly straight sections. One thing I did a number of times is choose a long straight section, turn on auto calibrate, ride it until it calibrated (it's maybe 1km and there's a notification and beep) and note the number. I'd repeat that 3 times, average the numbers and manually input the avg.

Of course you can do a roll out too. I'd weight the bike, put some existing mark on the sidewall at the very bottom and mark the ground, roll forward 3 revs, and mark the ground again. Measure and divide by 3.

That's if you want to be really anal about it. The past couple of years I haven't bothered and just left it on auto.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    ^^^ yeah. Auto cal is best done on fairly straight sections. One thing I did a number of times is choose a long straight section, turn on auto calibrate, ride it until it calibrated (it's maybe 1km and there's a notification and beep) and note the number. I'd repeat that 3 times, average the numbers and manually input the avg.

Of course you can do a roll out too. I'd weight the bike, put some existing mark on the sidewall at the very bottom and mark the ground, roll forward 3 revs, and mark the ground again. Measure and divide by 3.

That's if you want to be really anal about it. The past couple of years I haven't bothered and just left it on auto.
    I like the idea of averaging out based on Auto calc. Auto was pretty close. One of mine may be left on the auto size. Can't remember.
    I'm off on one of the 2 units that I manually input. Need to fix that -but this thread reminded me of it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    I just purchased a left over Garmin Edge 820 for the sole purpose of hearing a 'ding' to indicate the beginning and the end of Strava segments. I thought the Nav might be useful but as set up, it's worthless from my position.
    I also purchased the Premium Strava package and turned on notifications in Strava as well as linked the Garmin wiith my phone.
    Can anyone indicate what I may be doing wrong as I'm not hearing anything?
    Thanks.

Are the segments "starred" in strava? Do they appear on the strava segment list on your Edge?

There's so many things that can (and do) go wrong with the live strava segments function, it's usually a multi-step trial and error to get there.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    The Stages Dash units don't even do Strava Live Segments as Strava want to charge Stages a fee per head unit to allow it.
    Segment data on a nice large screen would be quite nice.

You need to make sure the Segments are started on the Strava end and that on the Garmin Connect end you've selected Strava for Segments and not Connect.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks guys.
    I'm working through the Garmin and naively thought I would just turn it on and the features would just be there! Ha.
    Hours later I'm getting a handle on what it's capable of. At times it seems fun and a new world, but truth be told, I mostly just like to ride my bike as fast as I can and prefer to not bother with too much else.
    I have gotten as far as starring several Strava segments but yet to test for a notification.
    Also downloaded a route that I sort of knew for testing purposes. But as soon as I chose to explore as I tend to do, the Garmin just beeped a lot at me.
    Still working on it and will be monitoring this thread.
    Thanks again for the responses.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I'm working through the Garmin, I mostly just like to ride my bike as fast as I can and prefer to not bother with too much else.

Explain to us why you purchased this again ?.

Also downloaded a route that I sort of knew for testing purposes. But as soon as I chose to explore as I tend to do, the Garmin just beeped a lot at me.

It'll do that if you go off the route. You can disable the alerts for when you are off-route. Or don't ask it to navigate a route knowing that you will not be following the route.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Has anyone else had problems unlocking Trailforks map on an 830,just purchased the unit mainly for the trailforks feature. I have the app and map on my phone but when I attempt to unlock on the garmin I get a message saying map data cannot be unlocked.
    TIA

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeb34 View Post
    Has anyone else had problems unlocking Trailforks map on an 830,just purchased the unit mainly for the trailforks feature. I have the app and map on my phone but when I attempt to unlock on the garmin I get a message saying map data cannot be unlocked.
    TIA
    Sync your 830 using Garmin Express. It will update and install the maps.

The app and maps on your phone have nothing to do with the 830 which uses the maps natively.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm working through the Garmin, I mostly just like to ride my bike as fast as I can and prefer to not bother with too much else.

Explain to us why you purchased this again ?.
    Pretty simple, I showed up for practice for a local Enduro race and turned on Strava which I very rarely do (maybe 5x in my life) and was shocked that I got a KOM and 3 top 10s. I was really excited!
    So I bought the Garmin in the hope that I could see where the routes begin and end so I could selectively sprint and hopefully do well on a few local Strava runs. Hasn't worked yet. Ha!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by render ranger View Post
    Sync your 830 using Garmin Express. It will update and install the maps

The app and maps on your phone have nothing to do with the 830 which uses the maps natively.

Thanks will give it a go later

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm new to Garmin (coming from Lezyne). I'm really surprised to see there isn't a Max HR data field. Does anyone know of one I can download that just shows a Max HR readout? On my HR screen I like to have three fields (HR) (Max HR) (HR Zone).

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rstark18 View Post
    I'm new to Garmin (coming from Lezyne). I'm really surprised to see there isn't a Max HR data field. Does anyone know of one I can download that just shows a Max HR readout? On my HR screen I like to have three fields (HR) (Max HR) (HR Zone).
    Same issue.

mtbr member
    I am on the fence about getting a 530 or 830. I am interested in it mainly just to be able to look at Trail Forks without having to constantly get my phone out of my pocket. I don't really feel like I need turn by turn instructions though. Is it possible to upload a TF route and just see my the route and my position without turn by turn instructions? Did the version 5 update fix the auto zoom out function everyone is complaining about?

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004
    There are many ConnectIQ data fields that show maximum HR on the Edge 530/830. Here is an example of one of them: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/7...5-c7b2a5bff449

You can see many more by using the search, for example: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/search...t=MOST_POPULAR

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    There are many ConnectIQ data fields that show maximum HR on the Edge 530/830. Here is an example of one of them: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/7...5-c7b2a5bff449

You can see many more by using the search, for example: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/search...t=MOST_POPULAR
    Thanks for the reply.
    I did a search before I posted my question and came up with just full screen type fields.
    What Iím looking for is a Max HR field that fills in one of a standard a three field screen.

Sneaker man
    ^Just out of curiosity, why do you need Max HR? There is a %of max HR field, not nececarrily what you want and apparently :
    "Heart Rate Bars
    A bar graph showing your current, average, and maximum heart rate values for the current activity.", never looked at it so not sure how that works.
    Your after ride data in connect shows your max, but I guess if you want it during, then there's not much option

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    ^Just out of curiosity, why do you need Max HR? There is a %of max HR field, not nececarrily what you want and apparently :
    "Heart Rate Bars
    A bar graph showing your current, average, and maximum heart rate values for the current activity.", never looked at it so not sure how that works.
    Your after ride data in connect shows your max, but I guess if you want it during, then there's not much option
    Thatís one of the fields Iíve always had on my Lezyne and I think itís nice to see during long climbs.
    The % Max HR is the current % not the highest % during the ride.
    My eyes arenít the best anymore so having a big number to see the data is important thatís why I have a three field page set for this.
    I did find HR+ on the IQ store but itís not as big as Iíd like.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    ... Is it possible to upload a TF route and just see my the route and my position without turn by turn instructions?...
    Yes. You can show a course and your position on the device without "Navigating" it so you can simply follow the line on the map.

I believe the auto zoom issues are sorted.
    What, me worry?

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    Yes. You can show a course and your position on the device without "Navigating" it so you can simply follow the line on the map.

I believe the auto zoom issues are sorted.
    If you have 530 - could you plz make a video with that? I've been told several times on different boards that's not possible, like the only scenario to see yourself (arrow) and track from TF (or GPX) is when navigating. (
    OK

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    You can see whatever route you have been riding and tracking. It's a light blue line that the device draws. Just go to the map screen, zoom out a bit and pan to wherever you've been.

You don't need to be in navigation mode for this and I
    ve seen this on my 1000 and 1030.

Arrow's (white) are the TBT on map directions, used when navigating on a course/route you downloaded or created on the device.

mtbr member
    IDK about a 530. On others, go to Nav, Saved Courses, select a course, Settings, then Always Display. It'll show on the map until you go back to it and turn off Always Display.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    From a woods ride on Sunday with my 830, not the best photo but it shows whats being looking for:

The hard to see pale blue line at the very bottom of the screen is my gps track.

The dark blue line is the trail according to Trailforks (the active section is "bold", the next section up is thin).

The pinkish line is from a previous ride I saved as a course and set to "always display" (no navigation enabled) so I could follow it without a million prompts about shallow left and right turns as the 830 tries to navigate.

I also keep "Fork Sight" disabled as it zooms in/out and orientates itself strangely, I find it easier to just zoom and pan around on my own when coming to junctions.

Garmin Edge 530 and 830 2019-img_20200112_1504304.jpg
    Alea Jacta Est

Sneaker man
    Thatís one of the fields Iíve always had on my Lezyne and I think itís nice to see during long climbs.
    The % Max HR is the current % not the highest % during the ride.
    My eyes arenít the best anymore so having a big number to see the data is important thatís why I have a three field page set for this.
    I did find HR+ on the IQ store but itís not as big as Iíd like.
    yeah that;s fair enough, nothing worse (in context) than having something you are used to using, being not available or taken away, that sort of stuff drives me banana's (or updates to make stuff better, that usually makes stuff worse).
    I also get the eyes/size thing, going from an edge 1000, to a 530 then 830, I'll go back up to a 1000/1030 size next time.

I guess you could always download the SDK and make your own field, then pop that on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I guess you could always download the SDK and make your own field, then pop that on.
    I think I will give that a shot.

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004
    I think I will give that a shot.
    I found a configurable data field, called Calculated Field that allows Max HR to be selected.

The author published the source code to GitHub.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I found a configurable data field, called Calculated Field that allows Max HR to be selected.

The author published the source code to GitHub.
    Great find!!! Thatís exactly what I wanted. Thank you.
    I had just downloaded and installed the SDK and was going to tackle programming it tomorrow. Glad I donít have to now.

**update**
    I configured my field to be "maxheartrate" and it works exactly the way I want it to. Can't thank @Tony enough. I did quite a lot of searching through the IQ Store and didn't come across that.
    Last edited by rstark18; 01-15-2020 at 06:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    I am on the fence about getting a 530 or 830. I am interested in it mainly just to be able to look at Trail Forks without having to constantly get my phone out of my pocket. I don't really feel like I need turn by turn instructions though. Is it possible to upload a TF route and just see my the route and my position without turn by turn instructions? Did the version 5 update fix the auto zoom out function everyone is complaining about?
    Did you (or anyone else interested in this feature) end up picking one up? I am thinking about upgrading from my 520, no problems with it, but I really don't like having to pull out my phone to navigate new trail systems - totally breaks up the fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FJ40runr View Post
    Did you (or anyone else interested in this feature) end up picking one up? I am thinking about upgrading from my 520, no problems with it, but I really don't like having to pull out my phone to navigate new trail systems - totally breaks up the fun.
    I bought the Edge 530 specifically because of the Trail Forks integration. Do IT!

Youtube ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=241qWDPVBPE

I highly recommend adding the MTB Bundle, the Edge Wireless Remote works great
    for scrolling through 4 different screens on the fly while keeping both hands on the grips.

Garmin Edge 530 and 830 2019-garmin-edge-530_3.jpg
    2020 Farley 9.6 Matte Olive
    2020 Farley 7 ROARange
    2018 Farley 7 Viper Red

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckMountainMan View Post
    I highly recommend adding the MTB Bundle, the Edge Wireless Remote works great
    for scrolling through 4 different screens on the fly while keeping both hands on the grips.
    Does the wireless remote work if the 530 is in power saving mode? If one could leave the unit in power saving mode (= screen off until you touch a button) and wake it from the remote, that would be very useful.

I like my 530. Battery life is much better than prior Garmins I've owned. And having TF native to the device is SO convenient. The phone is still useful for macro views and deciding on a "larger" ride plan within a network, but the TF data on the 530 pretty much eliminates grabbing for your phone at every intersecction.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    Does the wireless remote work if the 530 is in power saving mode? If one could leave the unit in power saving mode (= screen off until you touch a button) and wake it from the remote, that would be very useful.

I like my 530. Battery life is much better than prior Garmins I've owned. And having TF native to the device is SO convenient. The phone is still useful for macro views and deciding on a "larger" ride plan within a network, but the TF data on the 530 pretty much eliminates grabbing for your phone at every intersecction.
    I haven't tried power save mode, I like the display on the entire time I'm riding
    and most rides so far have not been long enough to worry about draining the battery.

But I will give a try next time I'm out (likely not until Monday).
    2020 Farley 7 ROARange
    2018 Farley 7 Viper Red

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckMountainMan View Post

But I will give a try next time I'm out (likely not until Monday).
    Thanks. The device does seem to get close to the 20 hour claimed life in normal mode, and when I've used the power saving mode its approached 40 hours no problem. That is useful on multiday bikepacking routes, to minimize need for recharge.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    Good news and bad news,

... Although the remote still functions the same when the GPS unit is in power saving mode (with a black screen), it does not turn the screen on.
    I managed to start recording a ride, lap button also works as does scrolling display screens but you would never know it until you do a short button press on the 530 to wake it up.

I imagine that feature could be easily implemented with a FW update if enough people made a request for it.
    2020 Farley 7 ROARange
    2018 Farley 7 Viper Red

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Are mtb dynamics metrics like grit and flow useful? Are they accurate?

Is screen on 530/830 easily readable? On the photos it looks washed out and contrast is not so good as with monochrome screens.
    I'm looking for a bike computer and can't choose between 530 and wahoo bolt. I see a lot of complaints regarding Garmin stability. How stable is 530 right now?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GooglieS View Post
    Are mtb dynamics metrics like grit and flow useful?
    No

Are they accurate?
    Accurate for what? What do you think they're measuring?

Is screen on 530/830 easily readable? On the photos it looks washed out and contrast is not so good as with monochrome screens.
    I'm looking for a bike computer and can't choose between 530 and wahoo bolt. I see a lot of complaints regarding Garmin stability. How stable is 530 right now?
    The more vivid colors that get added to screens, the more they're challenged to keep good contrast in the wrong lighting conditions. That's a rule that doesn't seem to change much from manufacturer to manufacturer of electronic devices.

Garmins tend to follow the pattern of being a bit less stable on initial release, and then they get better as firmware updates address various issues. That rule doesn't necessarily hold for every manufacturer. One thing that's killed a lot of competitors is that they DON'T fix problems with firmware updates. Or at least not well enough. It's rare for a manufacturer to not have bugs on initial release.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post

Accurate for what? What do you think they're measuring?

Accordingly to their website it's measuring the following things:
    • difficulty of a mountain bike ride
    • how well you maintain speed during your mountain bike ride based on factors such as ascent, descent, and the angle of turns throughout the ride

Does it shows weather on Mars instead?

For how long usually Garmin release firmware updates for their devices?

since 4/10/2009
    Accordingly to their website it's measuring the following things:
    • difficulty of a mountain bike ride
    • how well you maintain speed during your mountain bike ride based on factors such as ascent, descent, and the angle of turns throughout the ride

Does it shows weather on Mars instead?

For how long usually Garmin release firmware updates for their devices?
    I don't know about you, but I don't see the point of trying to measure those things. Because you can't fully measure them. By their nature, the difficulty of a ride and the "flow" of a ride have factors related to the rider and/or the trail that the computer can't measure. No Garmin is going to be able to measure how acclimated I am to heat and humidity, and that's a HUGE factor that affects the difficulty of a ride.

That "flow" metric is utterly useless. The word "flow" already has a nebulous set of definitions in the mtb world, anyway, and now Garmin's trying to apply its own specific criteria for it. So okay, let's call it "conservation of momentum" then, since that's what it sounds like Garmin is trying to measure. Seems to me that it's still not telling us anything new. So your ability to conserve momentum is going to be heavily dependent on how the trail is built. A machine built flow trail is going to allow for more conservation of momentum than a raw, backcountry trail. ANY sort of technical climbing is going to trash that metric. Well, no shit. I can look at my average and max speeds from the data recorded by any computer and get essentially the same information. The more widely separated my average and max speeds, the poorer I was at conserving my momentum on a given ride. I don't need to measure angle of turns at all for this. If I'm doing a good job conserving momentum in corners, then that will be reflected by a higher average speed (or, less fluctuation in speed) because I'll ride those corners faster. I would argue that you get more information if you run a bunch of basic stats on the data your computer records. Running a simple standard deviation on speed over the course of your ride will tell you a lot more about your conservation of speed over the course of your ride.

Garmin will issue firmware updates for years after releasing a device (and oftentimes, years after ceasing sales of new ones). Early on, those updates tend to be more significant fixes. Occasionally, you'll even get a feature addition. Later on, they tend to be pretty subtle tweaks. By the time Garmin stops issuing firmware updates for most devices, the software tends to be pretty reliable. My regular Edge 520 still gets occasional firmware updates, and they aren't selling it as a new device anymore. The 530 is essentially its replacement. My Oregon 450T still gets updates, though they're not really fixing anything on the device at this point. They're just updates to time zones and stuff. Pretty sure it's a standard file that Garmin releases for all devices. I don't think my Edge 520 is only receiving those just yet, because the updates seem to be a little more frequent than for my Oregon.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Grit and flow are pointless, but I do find myself trying to jump off more stuff for the jump metrics.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    Grit and flow are pointless, but I do find myself trying to jump off more stuff for the jump metrics.

Sneaker man
    I found them pointless and a waay off...same tracks 2 different days, similar times, two completely different flow and grit numbers, jumps, tell you you did one when you didn't.
    I just switched it off (on both 530 and 830)

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Looking for Info on the Mountain Bike Bundle and Forksight

I am curious about what you get for your extra $70 with the bundle (looks like some type of mounting hardware) Is that the way to go, or maybe a 3rd party setup would be better.
    Forksight Is one of the main reasons (that and trailforks) I am looking at the 530 or 830 How well does that work? What does the map pop up in, do you typically need to zoom in or out? Would the 830 with its touch screen be better for that? Sorry if these questions have already been answered.
    Thanks, Lambow

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambow View Post
    Looking for Info on the Mountain Bike Bundle and Forksight

I am curious about what you get for your extra $70 with the bundle (looks like some type of mounting hardware) Is that the way to go, or maybe a 3rd party setup would be better.
    Forksight Is one of the main reasons (that and trailforks) I am looking at the 530 or 830 How well does that work? What does the map pop up in, do you typically need to zoom in or out? Would the 830 with its touch screen be better for that? Sorry if these questions have already been answered.
    Thanks, Lambow
    Answering in reverse order.

The 830 touchscreen makes it easier to deal with maps, as you can pinch zoom as well as finger touch pan. The 530 has buttons only which have their own advantages/disadvantages.

Forksight is something I had never heard of, went and looked it up. Garmin states its warning you of upcoming forks in the trails you are on, as well as indicating distance. I'm curious if it's on my 1030. In order for this to work, the data base it's looking at needs to be complete and needs to know all the trails. It might use the TrailForks data base, not sure. That's a good database but and as discussed here a lot, is hardly complete or 100% accurate. That's partly because TF is only a collection of trails ridden and tracked via GPS by other riders, then uploaded to TF. If a trail is not ridden, maybe it's an illegal go-around or something, it won't show up. Thus the device is not going to be able to warn you of many trails, it's the nature of the beast. My take is another useless gimmick feature from Garmin that they will never get to work well. Good maps on a GPS is not a gimmick and I'd suggest searching here for Harold's posts on navigating trails in the woods with a GPS. Much good advice.

The mt. bike bundle gives you a handlebar remote, a tether (basic comes with one) a rubber case, a speed sensor (useful for mt. biking but you can buy separately for $35 or so), as well as the new Mt. Bike out front mount which is actually a shorter out front mount used backwards and designed to mount over the top of a short stem. I's a $40 item from Garmin and there are a CRAP TON of alternatives to this for $15-$20 on Amazon.

The bundle is $70 extra and if you use the device on a 2nd bike you'd want an extra mount ($20), so that, plus the case ($8), plus the speed sensor ($39), makes it an OK deal, but you can do better with individual parts on Amazon.

mtbr member

Forksight is something I had never heard of, went and looked it up. Garmin states its warning you of upcoming forks in the trails you are on, as well as indicating distance. I'm curious if it's on my 1030. In order for this to work, the data base it's looking at needs to be complete and needs to know all the trails. It might use the TrailForks data base, not sure. That's a good database but and as discussed here a lot, is hardly complete or 100% accurate. That's partly because TF is only a collection of trails ridden and tracked via GPS by other riders, then uploaded to TF. If a trail is not ridden, maybe it's an illegal go-around or something, it won't show up. Thus the device is not going to be able to warn you of many trails, it's the nature of the beast. My take is another useless gimmick feature from Garmin that they will never get to work well. Good maps on a GPS is not a gimmick and I'd suggest searching here for Harold's posts on navigating trails in the woods with a GPS. Much good advice.
    I've an 830 (to replace my old 810) since early November, I stopped using forksight in January after trying it for two months. The zoom levels and map orientation (at that point) were all over the place, making it hard to figure trail connections and junctions that were close together. It was a big enough mess I walked away from it and haven't gone back to it since then. I went back to what I've always done with my GPS (and physical maps)- when i roll up to an unfamiliar junction, I pull the map up and compare whats on the screen to whats in front of me and figure out which option I want. No messing with zoom levels, no random orientation changes. Just the map orientated ahead at my preferred zoom level so I can figure out my junctions.

The Trailforks maps are nice but only useful of you're in an area that riders have contributed to and Garmin has an update that includes it. Which is a pretty big issue that you have to be aware of since not every trail is in the current mapset. For example there are a couple of trails (created mid 2019) in my local area that are on the website but haven't migrated to the Edge map set yet. Along with quite a few that just don't exist at all yet.

Trailforks is a useful addition but definitely NOT the end all, be all of navigating in the woods. A good set of topos and the skills to use them go a long way in route planning and getting out of the woods in one piece when things go sideways.
    Alea Jacta Est

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    trailforks works ok for me, but I have it on my galaxy tab 6 which I have to pull out of my pack if I need to use it. I also carry maps which usually aren't any better (for unmarked trails forks). I remember the good old days, when you could get just about any topo you needed at rei. I guess you can still get them online. I print them out on a printer but just not the same.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    How well does this incident detection work in practice while MTBing? That would really sell a 130 Plus or 530 to my wife. :-p
    Seriously, a false positive here and there is fine. Since I'm often riding alone on my hometrails it is really a point to think of.

mtbr member
    I don't know anybody using incident detection because it goes off all the time...except when you actually crash. Something like Specialized's ANGi is likely better.
    What, me worry?

since 4/10/2009
    Also worth noting that it requires multiple wireless connections. First, the bluetooth connection between the Garmin and the phone, which people have found notoriously flaky for years (for any connected functions). Second one being your cellular connection. My home trails that I just got home from riding a bit ago have terrible cellular reception. Any incident detection system that relies on cellular networks is going to be stupidly unreliable where I ride.

And that includes the Specialized ANGi system. I considered a helmet that came with it last year (I agree that being located in the helmet makes a lot more sense for actually detecting an impact that'd indicate an actual crash), since it was a comfy helmet, but after looking into the system, decided I wasn't going to pay any extra for something I'll never use.

For where I ride, a SPOT or InReach is more reliable for getting a message out, but neither is automated.

mtbr member
    ^^^ evidently inreach can now be linked to the Edge 530, 830 and 1030, though incident detection does not yet trigger it...at least as of this DCR writeup. Of course unless something changes, incident detection would still be as useful/less as it currently is.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/10/weekend-tidbits-hammerhead-adds-radar-support-elite-releases-upgrado-app-garmin-adds-edge-connection-to-inreach.html#garmin-edge-inreach-integration
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    If incident detection works like LiveTrack, itís as Harold stated, completely flaky. I have LT enabled for every ride and in my experience it functions about 80% of the time. I have had the mobile app just spontaneously turn off Live Track. Really annoying and is something DCRainmaker called out Garmin on over a year ago with no improvements.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Anyone having difficulty sending workouts to the Edge 530? I have tried it from PC Garmin Connect via USB, and from my iPad via Bluetooth. It syncs, they both claim to send the workout, but it never shows up on my 530.

Thanks in advance!
    2001 Santa Cruz Superlight
    2019 Salsa Horsethief

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12