Garmin Edge 520 - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Edge 520

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    I've read mostly complaints about the rubber case design so I didn't bother however, I bought the matte finish screen protector on Amazon (2 for $15) and the matte really helps when using in direct sunlight. I also found the factory "out front" mount as well as the smaller handlebar mount marginal as when your riding and need to press buttons, the mounts are not positive and allow for a lot of movement. I bought a BarFly out front set up for my road bike that also has a GoPro mount underneath and a BarFly shorty that swoops backwards from the bars and hovers over my short stem for the MTB. I almost went stem cap mount but decided I didn't want to have to remove multiple screws to get my stem loose. I assume the K-Edge locks the unit in with one way turning? Thats how the BarFly works and the detent are very positive and strong so the unit doesn't twist when actuating the buttons.
    Yeah, the K Edge stem cap has the same style twist lock mount as the stock holder.

Rent this space for $
    Quote Originally Posted by farfromovin View Post
    Yeah, the K Edge stem cap has the same style twist lock mount as the stock holder.
    Is it "one-way" twist-lock? The BarFly only allows 90° of twist in one direction where the Garmin mount, you can spin the unit 360° in either direction with the detents holding it in its place.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    So maybe this question has been asked before, but is it possible to add the maps from say, trail forks, to the navigation side of the edge? I just deleted the base maps and added open maps but I am using it for more of trail riding and it would be cool if I could see the trail I am on, or will starve segments show me that?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by andersonsmog View Post
    So maybe this question has been asked before, but is it possible to add the maps from say, trail forks, to the navigation side of the edge? I just deleted the base maps and added open maps but I am using it for more of trail riding and it would be cool if I could see the trail I am on, or will starve segments show me that?
    No and yes.

Directly? no. But there are ways to convert trail networks from just about any format into the format necessary for Garmin's basemap. gpsfiledepot.com is one resource that has already-prepared maps that would take less work than converting trailforks' maps. gpx2img will also be a useful program for you if this is what you're looking to do.

since 4/10/2009
    Just took home an Edge 520 this afternoon and went through setting up profiles for road, mtn, and indoor, as well as connecting all the sensors I will be using, data screens, and all that. Now giving the device a good first charge.

I've been resisting a purchase of a more recent Garmin Edge because I am not a fan of the ever-decreasing battery life. That said, I also wanted the improvement in accuracy of GPS+GLONASS. I've started using Courses for road rides, and the bryton rider 310 I have doesn't do navigation at all. Plus it has a couple of quirks that baffle me. The Forerunner 310XT I've been using can handle Courses, but the ANT+ uploading to the computer is SOOOOO SLOW when I'm trying to upload a big ride, that it's rather frustrating. And to put a course onto the device, there's pretty much only one way, and that's through Garmin Training Center. And because of the ANT+ business, I've constantly gotta enable/disable ANT Agent and Garmin Express because they don't play nice together, and neither really does the same thing anymore.

The Edge 520 gives me most of what I want and offers a little bit of mapping capability, to boot.

I wanted to like the Edge 1000 because it can actually handle routing on its maps...but it's just so damn huge. I like the size of the Edge 520. Plus, I like that Garmin took away the touch screen and gave it a bunch of physical buttons. Physical buttons are a PITA for more complex functions, but I learned with my Oregon (as well as with my phone) that a touch screen on the bike can be an even bigger PITA when you bump the screen, when you're wearing full-fingered gloves, or if there's rain on the screen.

My first ride with the Edge 520 will probably be my commute tomorrow. That's assuming the storms in the forecast are spotty enough that I can dodge them on my 10min commute home. I'll have a handful of short commutes over the next couple of weeks.

After that, I'll probably get at least one ride, maybe two, on the mtb over Memorial Day weekend. Then I've got a road century that's essentially only marked with Dan Henrys on the pavement the following weekend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I think I read somewhere that you can turn up how many times the edge 520 samples(waypoints) to improve the gps accuracy, has anybody had any luck doing that?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by andersonsmog View Post
    I think I read somewhere that you can turn up how many times the edge 520 samples(waypoints) to improve the gps accuracy, has anybody had any luck doing that?
    you are given the choice of "smart" sampling, or 1sec recording. it's easy. just a setting.

since 4/10/2009
    For what it's worth, I just put some topo maps on my Edge 520 using the same basic procedure listed on Post #49

I started out with a somewhat small area where the majority of my rides take place. It covers about 12 counties in Indiana, with parts from several others. It's not a huge area, but plenty big enough for most of my riding. The file was about half the size of the preloaded basemap, so I could easily go much bigger.

I used maps from www.gpsfiledepot.com. I loaded a pair of maps, layered. I used the topo map for my state, as well as the MyTrails layer, which allows me to load a bunch of actual mtb trail maps onto the device.

I've tried this with both Garmin Mapsource as well as Basecamp. The procedure for loading maps is a little different for either one, but one quirk is the same, and is absolutely essential. You can't just "save" the maps as an .img file onto your hard drive. The programs won't let you. To get the .img file format you NEED to rename gmapbmap.img for the Edge 520, you have to "Transfer" the maps to your device. Neither of these programs will let you save those maps directly to the Edge 520, however. The only way this will work is to have a memory card loaded into a card reader. Mapsource and Basecamp WILL load maps onto a memory card. I had just a regular SD card loaded into a reader from transferring some photos, and discovered this quirk quite by accident.

Mapsource and Basecamp will create a "garmin" folder on your memory card and put the maps into gmapsupp.img within that folder. What I have done is create a folder on my PC named "Edge 520 maps" so I can keep stuff somewhat organized. Within that folder, I have a folder entitled "original basemap backup" as well as folders for each mapset I create to install on the device. That way, I can handle multiple files titled "gmapsupp.img" and keep track of the areas that each one covers so if I want to load new areas, I can keep track of those areas later.

I'll be doing an 85mi ride around the city on Memorial Day as sort of my last training ride before my first century on June 4. That century will probably be around 104mi +/- in western Ohio, and I'll be doing this same procedure for that area so I can have map coverage in case I make a wrong turn, as this century will be marked on the roads with Dan Henry markings only. I actually have a course file for guidance for the 85 mile route this weekend.

Rides like this are the main reason I got the Edge 520. The Edge 1000 was slightly more attractive for these kinds of rides due to its ability to do its own routing based on its own map data, but I couldn't get over the size. I am happy with plotting a ride beforehand and loading it into the GPS. I like how RideWithGPS provides turn-by-turn notifications embedded into course files you create there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I'll be doing an 85mi ride around the city on Memorial Day as sort of my last training ride before my first century on June 4. That century will probably be around 104mi +/- in western Ohio, and I'll be doing this same procedure for that area so I can have map coverage in case I make a wrong turn, as this century will be marked on the roads with Dan Henry markings only. I actually have a course file for guidance for the 85 mile route this weekend.

Rides like this are the main reason I got the Edge 520. The Edge 1000 was slightly more attractive for these kinds of rides due to its ability to do its own routing based on its own map data, but I couldn't get over the size. I am happy with plotting a ride beforehand and loading it into the GPS. I like how RideWithGPS provides turn-by-turn notifications embedded into course files you create there.
    If you're doing a 104 mile course I'd consider splitting it into smaller sections, 3 x 34 mile courses perhaps. That way once you reach the end of a course you just load up the next one. It saves the hassle of if something wrong with the long course (such as going offcourse and then the Garmin Edge 520 losing the route) having to reload it, and then wait as it advances through every single step to reach where you are. Out and back courses in particular seem to work better when split into halves to avoid confusing the Garmin.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    If you're doing a 104 mile course I'd consider splitting it into smaller sections, 3 x 34 mile courses perhaps. That way once you reach the end of a course you just load up the next one. It saves the hassle of if something wrong with the long course (such as going offcourse and then the Garmin Edge 520 losing the route) having to reload it, and then wait as it advances through every single step to reach where you are. Out and back courses in particular seem to work better when split into halves to avoid confusing the Garmin.
    I'm doing an 85mi course, but the 104mi ride will just be paint markings on the pavement.

The 85miler is just here in town, so I'm not terribly concerned about losing the course or anything. If there's a problem, regardless of where I am, I know how to get back to where I'm parking/starting and I've got a pretty good idea of how to roughly keep going where I need to go (I have loaded reasonably good maps).

I did a 60+ mile course on my Forerunner 310XT awhile back, and it followed it like a champ. Even when I had to detour from the planned course due to construction, it picked it right up when I got back on it. I'm not concerned with the Edge 520 in that regard. Since I have actual map data, I'll have a better idea of what's going on if I need to detour.

since 4/10/2009
    FWIW, the Edge 520 followed the 85mi Course like a champ. Other riders were following the same course with different Garmins, and apparently they weren't getting turn notifications early as I was.

Either way, the Course worked great. Not a single wrong turn, and only once did I zone out and ignore the warnings of an upcoming turn. Caught it just in time. Used just under half the battery in 7hrs, with speed, cad, and HR sensors running, but BT off.

This was the course I followed.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13991811

And this was the ride.

https://www.strava.com/activities/593151749

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Just got a Garmin 520 delivered from Amazon today, with heartrate/cadence/speed bundle. Fairly immediate frustration right out of the box.. I had to reset all three of the ant+ sensors by pulling the batter, then putting it in backwards for about 30 seconds and then reinstalling it before the Garmin would see them. Only took me about 45 min of searching the internet to find that

Now running into an issue where if I start a right, then stop the ride, I can go through the menu and tell it to 'delete ride' and I nagivate to ok on the confirmation prompt and press button 7 and it doesn't do a damn thing. The only way to resolve it is to save the ride, then go into Garmin connect and delete it there.

I haven't even had a ride with this thing yet and I'm already debating sending it back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
    Now running into an issue where if I start a right, then stop the ride, I can go through the menu and tell it to 'delete ride' and I nagivate to ok on the confirmation prompt and press button 7 and it doesn't do a damn thing. The only way to resolve it is to save the ride, then go into Garmin connect and delete it there.
    If you start a ride, and don't want to save it, Press the Stop button again, in order to bring up the Pause menu. On the Pause menu below "Save Ride" is "Discard Ride". If you select this and press OK it will clear the ride without saving it.

If you have saved the ride, and then want to delete it from the Ride screen go Menu - History - Rides - Press Enter on Delete at the top of the screen, then tick the rides you want to delete before selecting Delete Ride and Ok at the top of the screen to delete.

If you have the Garmin Edge 520 connected to a computer by USB it will be viewable as a removable drive. You can browse to \Garmin\Activities and manually delete any of the historic .fit files that are in the folder. I usually clear them out every month or so.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    If you start a ride, and don't want to save it, Press the Stop button again, in order to bring up the Pause menu. On the Pause menu below "Save Ride" is "Discard Ride". If you select this and press OK it will clear the ride without saving it.
    See, that's the thing if you look at my post. When I start a ride by accident I stop the ride and can navigate to the 'delete ride' option in the pause menu but when I press Ok nothing happens. I quite literally have to save the ride to be able to get out of the ride as delete does not work.

To be sure I'm using the proper buttons, I start/pause the ride via button 5 (bottom right) and I use button 7 (right side top) for ok. Those are the right buttons per the manual so it seems like deleting/discarding the ride without saving should work, but doesn't.

since 4/10/2009
    have you updated the firmware yet?

mtbr member
    See, that's the thing if you look at my post. When I start a ride by accident I stop the ride and can navigate to the 'delete ride' option in the pause menu but when I press Ok nothing happens. I quite literally have to save the ride to be able to get out of the ride as delete does not work.

To be sure I'm using the proper buttons, I start/pause the ride via button 5 (bottom right) and I use button 7 (right side top) for ok. Those are the right buttons per the manual so it seems like deleting/discarding the ride without saving should work, but doesn't.
    There's something wrong with your Garmin. On my Garmin Edge 520 "Discard Ride" and the keypresses described above will clear the ride every time.

It might be worth trying a factory reset of the Garmin Edge 520 to see if that will cure it.

Rent this space for $
    have you updated the firmware yet?
    This^^

You should be at v6.0, IIRC. I bought mine just a few weeks ago and it updated immediately to v6.0. This is a good start.

since 4/10/2009
    This^^

You should be at v6.0, IIRC. I bought mine just a few weeks ago and it updated immediately to v6.0. This is a good start.
    Charging it and updating the firmware should be done long before playing around with creating and attempting to discard ride files. Also thorough setup of bike and ride profiles (beyond the quick start questions). IIRC, it took about an hour for me to go through EVERYTHING when I set up my own Edge 520. It wasn't until after that, that I ever pressed the start button for a ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If you have the Garmin Edge 520 connected to a computer by USB it will be viewable as a removable drive. You can browse to \Garmin\Activities and manually delete any of the historic .fit files that are in the folder. I usually clear them out every month or so.
    I did not know this. What happens if you don't clear them periodically? I guess I just assumed that they automatically deleted once uploaded to Connect. I have the 510, but it appears that it works the same in this regard.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scottg View Post
    I did not know this. What happens if you don't clear them periodically? I guess I just assumed that they automatically deleted once uploaded to Connect. I have the 510, but it appears that it works the same in this regard.
    You will eventually fill up the device's memory. It will start acting funny as you approach its storage limits. You can clear the history on the device itself, but it's easier to clear it out by navigating it as a USB drive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Charging it and updating the firmware should be done long before playing around with creating and attempting to discard ride files. Also thorough setup of bike and ride profiles (beyond the quick start questions). IIRC, it took about an hour for me to go through EVERYTHING when I set up my own Edge 520. It wasn't until after that, that I ever pressed the start button for a ride.
    Sorry if this is a basic or redunant question, but how do you update the firmware? It didn't come with a disc, and the quick documentation that came with it doesn't mention anything about firmware unless some doco is missing. I almost wonder if mine was a re-packaged return, cause while all the bits and pieces are there, there's almost zero documentation.

Rent this space for $
    Sorry if this is a basic or redunant question, but how do you update the firmware? It didn't come with a disc, and the quick documentation that came with it doesn't mention anything about firmware unless some doco is missing. I almost wonder if mine was a re-packaged return, cause while all the bits and pieces are there, there's almost zero documentation.
    There is not much documentation that comes with it. You need to download Garmin Express to your computer. This is the link between Garmin Connect and your 520. If there are updates available, they will be listed and will Sync when you make the connection to your computer and tell it to sync.

mtbr member
    Loving the 520 so far. I purchased the bundle and everything is working great so far. The menus are pretty well laid out. Just today I was kind of surprised to have the 520 prompt me for the 6.2 firmware update wirelessly.

mtbr member
    I recently purchased the 520 set also. This little computer does more than I could ever use. So much better than Strava on my phone.

mtbr member
    I have a 12 day MTB vacation planned at the end of the month. I already updated the base maps and uploaded the GPX files for all the trails I want to ride. I get the feeling the 520 will pay for itself just on my upcoming trip.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Remember to take a charger...

mtbr member

Make sure you are ar towing down the blue highlighted area to DISCARD RIDE. THEN PRESS OK. I was making this mistake at first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

Rent this space for $
    Got my v6.2 update today. I need to read about what changes were made.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Got my v6.2 update today. I need to read about what changes were made.
    Garmin: Edge 520 Updates & Downloads

I saw the update but decided none of those updates matter and since mine is working well, I'll wait a few weeks and make sure no one reports any bugs.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqmike View Post

I saw the update but decided none of those updates matter and since mine is working well, I'll wait a few weeks and make sure no one reports any bugs.
    I just installed that one. I decided to go for it because it'll be nice to set the "ride type" and have it transfer over to Garmin Connect...once Garmin updates Connect to allow the "commute" ride type to transfer over at least. The rest of it is not relevant for my uses.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

I Just got my 520 last week. Updated to 6.2 before my last ride and everything seems to be working perfectly. It didn't delete/alter my profiles and doesn't look like it changed/messed with any other settings or functions.

mtbr member
    Has anyone else found a problem when uploading a new base map since updating to 6.2? I've use planet.osm to give me a better detailed map of my area. I just tried uploading a new map for an out of state ride and am getting the error "cannot unlock map". The custom base map that was on the unit when I updated to 6.2 is working fine.

Update:
    It appears to be an issue with the planet.osm site. I went to the openstreetmap site and downloaded a map and it's working. So I'm not sure if something changed on the planet.osm site or if there is a new incompatibility.
    Last edited by michael9218; 06-17-2016 at 10:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Does anyone know if they will ever update the 520 to allow us to have "time ahead" and "distance left" as a data field input to run together with something like cadence and power?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypt0n1te View Post
    Does anyone know if they will ever update the 520 to allow us to have "time ahead" and "distance left" as a data field input to run together with something like cadence and power?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
    Why would any of us know? Would be better to ask Garmin that question. Are you talking about fields related to workouts and/or targets?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Just got my Edge 520 two weeks ago and I'm really liking it. A ton of info on this thread, making setup and learning easy. Thanks guys

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Why would any of us know? Would be better to ask Garmin that question. Are you talking about fields related to workouts and/or targets?
    I merely asked since I have no experience with previous Garmin devices. I know many of them were upgraded to be able to do this, but since day 1 Garmin will not say a word on this. It's been posted in the Garmin forums as well as Feature request forum. Sorry if the word "ever" in my question offended you.

When you are doing a live Strava segment on your Garmin it shows you the time you are ahead or behind and it also shows you how far you still need to go before the segment is done.

Many of us don't want the live map but would rather have "time ahead/behind" and "distance left" on a normal ride screen.

Thus create a screen with...
    Data Field 1 = Cadence
    Data Field 2 = Heart rate or Power data if you have a power meter
    Data Field 3 = Time ahead/behind
    Data Field 4 = Distance Left

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypt0n1te View Post
    I merely asked since I have no experience with previous Garmin devices. I know many of them were upgraded to be able to do this, but since day 1 Garmin will not say a word on this. It's been posted in the Garmin forums as well as Feature request forum. Sorry if the word "ever" in my question offended you.

When you are doing a live Strava segment on your Garmin it shows you the time you are ahead or behind and it also shows you how far you still need to go before the segment is done.

Many of us don't want the live map but would rather have "time ahead/behind" and "distance left" on a normal ride screen.
    Oh, it's a live segments field. Meh. I don't use that feature, but I see how it would be useful for those who do.

I don't see how it could be construed that I took offense to anything. I'm just a little baffled how you thought it was worth your time to ask the peanut gallery on mtbr whether Garmin had any plans to add a feature via a firmware update, when it is now clear that you KNOW that Garmin has been asked for this feature already and is mum on the topic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Has anyone been able to use planet.osm in the last week? I just bought a 520 and it updated to 6.2, but won't take the map. @michael9218, do you have any updates to this as an issue?

Thanks.

Edit- I found an answer on the Gamin forums. Someone posted to use - Garmin OSM (ASCII) format. I'm not quite sure what all of the formats are for, but that one did work on the 6.2 FW.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclism00 View Post
    Has anyone been able to use openstreetmap in the last week? I just bought a 520 and it updated to 6.2, but won't take the map. @michael9218, do you have any updates to this as an issue?

Thanks.
    I really prefer having topos in mine for mtb. I'm on 6.2 and loaded a new mapset last night that worked today. Though I will say that it seems to have been loading MUCH slower than previous mapsets. Not sure what that was about.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

520 issue erratic recordings

Issue I'm having with my new 520 and 6.2 firmware.
    On 2 different occasions now while tracking MTB segments with long loops, one of the loops gets thrown completely out of whack. For example, each loop might be about 6 - 7 miles, some odd reason one of the loop segments, I notices the Garmin saying GPS signal loss, then it keeps recording. When I check my ride, 2 of the loops record perfectly out of the 3, but one will have me riding in the ocean near the trail, it will show zig-zag lines and the entire recording is wrong. I do use a Garmin Wheel speed sensor and have the tracking set to 1 sec intervals. This happens on both smart/1sec interval recordings. I didn't have any issues like this with my 800 doing the same trails.

The circled areas in the 2 pictures are the "bugged" sections.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1220284532

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by cyclism00; 06-26-2016 at 05:36 PM.

Rent this space for $
    If your losing GPS signal and then regaining it after a significant period of time, the unit is going to paint some odd tracks like you're seeing. Are you running GPS & Glonass or just GPS? On my road bike profile, I roll with just GPS since I'm not in tree covered or steep canyon areas. On the MTB Profile, I go with both. Maybe that is part of your problem.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    The signal drops for a brief second, that's it. I'm running both GPS&Glonass. I do ride both (mtb/road), I have not seen this happen yet with my road rides.

since 4/10/2009
    What does the location look like? You post screen shots rather than links to activities, so we can't toggle between basemap layers to look at forest cover or terrain or anything like that. Can't see what your latitude is, either. All of those things are relevant details.

It's possible that there's a reception issue, but where you are is probably more relevant. It's entirely possible that it's a satellite coverage issue and not related to the firmware at all.

I'm on firmware 6.2 on my Edge 520 and have had no such troubles with recording. My rides lately have been in Indiana. Some in flatter parts of the state, and others in hillier areas with pretty steep, thickly forested ravines that are challenging conditions for a GPS.

I do sometimes ride in one park that for whatever reason I haven't yet identified, is where I wind up with the least accurate GPS tracks and I did ride there last week and one lap was a bit off. This has occurred over multiple devices, so the device isn't the problem there. Something else is going on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have been testing mine out now for a month, and I am impressed with this little computer. It's pretty versatile, I've used it for mapping my bike rides, in the car to follow a preloaded course, attached it to my belt to track my runs and even attached it my electric unicycle to record speed data. Next to take it hiking and see how it does tracking a course.

Garmin Edge 520-20160612_183510-copy.jpg

The LiveTrack feature works great and is a cool way to share your ride or run, especially for me since my wife is out of the country. The Garmin Connect app is great, showing you all the info you need. I like how you can see on the map where you were at each speed and elevation. What I don't like though is the battery usage of the Android app. I tried to Greenify it and it just wakes right back up, there seems no way to get the app to sleep when not in use. I have been deleting the app off my phone and loading it again when I want to use Live Tracking and all my rides then automatically upload to Connect.

Accuracy has also been good so far, better some days. If you follow it on the 520 itself while riding it will be a few feet off which is normal. The one feature that hasn't worked well for me is the elevation. It usually shows me gaining more altitude than possible here in this flat place. I blame this partially on me since you can set the correct altitude when you start your ride, I just always forget.

I got mine from Gearbest.com. They are having a sale on both Garmin bike computers. The Edge 1000 is just too much for my need and too big. If anyone is interested the coupon for the 520 is "garmin520" - $264.99 and the 100 is "garmin1000" - $479.99

I've been looking to pick up a GPS watch as well, though so far the Edge is tracking well. I need to see if I can set a running profile since all my runs come up as biking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I turn on livetrack when I'm ready to descend since I ride alone. Love that feature

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    You have to understand how a barometric altimeter works. It's probably more accurate than you think it is, but it will "drift" over time. For example, yesterday part of my ride involved an out-and-back section. On the way out, the high point was recorded as 1,066ft. On the way back, it was 1,091ft. This is an inherent limitation of all barometric altimeters and there are only a couple of ways to correct for it. The main one would be to do manual altimeter calibrations every few hours. That's a pain in the f'ing a$$. IIRC, Garmin uses another method, which is to use GPS elevation for calibrations. That method isn't perfect, but it DOES limit the extent to which barometric drift affects altimeter measurements. On a 7hr ride like I did yesterday, I've seen readings from devices that didn't do auto calibrations vary by a LOT more than just 25ft.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    You have to understand how a barometric altimeter works. It's probably more accurate than you think it is, but it will "drift" over time. For example, yesterday part of my ride involved an out-and-back section. On the way out, the high point was recorded as 1,066ft. On the way back, it was 1,091ft. This is an inherent limitation of all barometric altimeters and there are only a couple of ways to correct for it. The main one would be to do manual altimeter calibrations every few hours. That's a pain in the f'ing a$$. IIRC, Garmin uses another method, which is to use GPS elevation for calibrations. That method isn't perfect, but it DOES limit the extent to which barometric drift affects altimeter measurements. On a 7hr ride like I did yesterday, I've seen readings from devices that didn't do auto calibrations vary by a LOT more than just 25ft.
    Cool, thanks Harold

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    I turn on livetrack when I'm ready to descend since I ride alone. Love that feature

I work from home so ride at lunch alone. It's a great feature for me, turn it on, my wife can keep an eye on me, she knows if I'm motionless for a long time, something isn't right.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Anyone, besides me, use it to draw pictures along your Livetrack ride? My wife watches my ride closely for them.

mtbr member
    I put my 520 to the test yesterday with a 6 hour journey through dense forest and heavy snow drifts. Keeping on the trail was impossible without a GPS. My only knock on the 520 is I wish it refreshed the screen a lot faster. I had the screen zoomed into 150'.
    I constantly head in the wrong direction when hike-a-biking through snow. The battery held pretty well too! Other bad thing is my wife put my heart rate monitor in the wash. Not sure it survived.

since 4/10/2009
    Zooming any GPS that far is going to be of limited usefulness, regardless of how fast it refreshes the screen. I have to wonder if you should figure out a different strategy for navigating snow-covered trails. Where are you that you were encountering these conditions in late June?

Though I do agree that it could refresh faster when navigating a course. I notice it when I'm approaching the edge of map tiles, particularly.

mtbr member
    It was useful, believe me. I kept having to zoom in to the point to where I could pick keep with the trail. I was riding higher elevation in Bend.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk View Post
    It was useful, believe me. I kept having to zoom in to the point to where I could pick keep with the trail. I was riding higher elevation in Bend.
    My point is that other methods might work better. One option might be the compass screen, for example.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    To update my previous post about the 520, you can change activities using Garmin connect. The Edge posts them as cycling by default, you can edit it to running and it will then show it in the running section and update the data.

mtbr member
    The Garmin Edge 520 bundle comes with a Garmin accelerometer based cadence sensor. It's Ant+ only and only works when connected to a crank.

The Wahoo RPM cadence sensor is a nice alternative, especially if you want to have cadence on multiple bikes. It transmits dual Ant+/ Bluetooth and pairs straight away with a Garmin Edge 520 via Ant+.

Bluetooth Bike Cadence Sensor | Wahoo Fitness

As it has Bluetooth also you can connect it to smartphone apps such as the Wahoo fitness and Tacx Cycling apps for indoor workouts (if you use those with a smart trainer). With an iPad Air 2 (IOS 9.2.1) the cadence sensor doesn't actually appear in the list of paired Bluetooth devices in IOS Settings. Instead you turn on bluetooth, launch the cycling app you want to use, wake up the sensor, and then add the sensor from within the app itself. Once added it gives you an onscreen cadence reading within the app. The sensor stays in a list of saved sensors within the app.

The Wahoo RPM cadence sensor has a variety of mounting options. The actual cadence sensor is just the small blue pod. It comes with some double sided 3M tape (to stick it directly to a crank), a rubber sleeve and some zip ties (to fasten to a crank) and also a shoe mount. The shoe mount was the reason for buying this cadence sensor.

The shoe mount is a clip that attaches the cadence sensor onto the velcro strap of a cycling shoe. It seems secure on first impressions and the cadence sensor registers on the shoe (the Garmin cadence sensor wouldn't work attached to a shoe in this way, only on the crank). With the shoe mount you don't have to worry about forgetting which bike the cadence sensor is on or swapping it over.
    How is the Wahoo RPM cadence sensor working out with rough technical trails? I was concerned the builtin accelerometer would capture false data as you bounce over rocks / roots / jumps / etc. Same with the Wahoo RPM speed sensor.

I currently have the Wahoo Blue SC speed & cadence sensor which uses traditional magnets, but am afraid the unit will get knocked off / lost. Maybe need to rig up a tether for it.
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 | Garmin 520

mtbr member

Tracking issues may be a quality control issue...

I wanted to provide an update to the problems I have been having with the Edge 520 and the tracking errors I was getting when mountain biking. The problem rarely was evident on road rides.

Back story; I received my first 520 in September after having issues with 2 Edge 500 units. Edge 520 randomly had tracking errors as well. After talking to Garmin and trying a few things, they sent me a new unit in January. New unit immediately had problems. After much discussion with Garmin Tech Support, including sending them the files on my unit and examples of my friends with no issues, they conceded that there was nothing else they could believe was causing the issues so they sent me yet another unit, though they said they were in disbelief that I could have 2 units be faulty.

I took the new unit on a ride this morning mounted side by side with the older unit (well actually, older unit on out front mount and new unit on stem mount). You can see from the snap shot of the ride that the older unit fails while the new unit does just fine.

It is my opinion that Garmin has a quality control issue with this unit. I'm seeing more and more people post this frustration. If you are having issue, consider that you may have a defective unit and contact Garmin.

New unit:
    Garmin Edge 520-rope-mill-new-edge520.jpg

Older unit:
    Garmin Edge 520-rope-mill-old-edge520.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Hello!

I am quite new at this garmin thing... Just bought a Edge 520, i have read half of this thread and i got to ask: Is there any problem if i use the same speed/cadence sensor on 2 bike, but with different activity profile?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KingShine View Post
    Hello!

I am quite new at this garmin thing... Just bought a Edge 520, i have read half of this thread and i got to ask: Is there any problem if i use the same speed/cadence sensor on 2 bike, but with different activity profile?
    No problem at all. In fact you don't set up the sensors in the activity profiles. You can set up as many as you like and then use them on any profile you like. When you start a ride it "finds" the sensor and begins reading it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thank you!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Hi,
    Long time reader of this forum but just registered now, I have a question for the experts here.
    How the edge 520 manages with speed sensor in outside, I mean when you have GPS signal the unit take account of data from sensor,just GPS sigal,or both ?
    I made a test trying to stop suddenly and see if the speed data change right away to 0,but I still have a lag of about 2seconds,but I dont know if it is because the edge only use GPS signal outside or the lag in the sensor also take place..
    Tank you

mtbr member
    The screen display follows the wheel sensor. If you were to lock up the back wheel and slide down a snowy road, the 520 would register 0 mph. The tracklog, however, will log the continuing movement of the bike.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    First ride with Edge 520 done.
    Some impressions:

1. Baterry life: Had HR, Cadence and speed sensor on, Bluetooth with my phone connected, GPS+Glonass on, light at 0% and got home after 2 hours with 90% battery ( from 100%).
    2. Please explain me this: On the unit, it shows that my average cadence was 80. After i synced with the app, on the phone and on Garmin Connect ( web ) it shows 71 average cadence. Funny part is that on strava is shows 81 ( like on the unit ). How is this possible? Is there any solving?
    3. Same thing with Calories. On the unit and on Garmin Connect it shows 1550 Calories but on strava it shows 877.

Despite all this, i am very satisfied with edge 520. The open map that i have installed is more that i could have asked.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Some impressions:

1. Baterry life: Had HR, Cadence and speed sensor on, Bluetooth with my phone connected, GPS+Glonass on, light at 0% and got home after 2 hours with 90% battery ( from 100%).
    2. Please explain me this: On the unit, it shows that my average cadence was 80. After i synced with the app, on the phone and on Garmin Connect ( web ) it shows 71 average cadence. Funny part is that on strava is shows 81 ( like on the unit ). How is this possible? Is there any solving?
    3. Same thing with Calories. On the unit and on Garmin Connect it shows 1550 Calories but on strava it shows 877.

Despite all this, i am very satisfied with edge 520. The open map that i have installed is more that i could have asked.
    As far as calories go, Strava and Garvin calculate calorie burn differently. When you sync, calories do not sync to Strava, they are calculated using Strava''s algorithm.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Raleigh Willard 3, Furley & Militis 3 (SS)
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Also i am having a hard time setting my Heart Rate Zones in Garmin Connect. I did the test ( Heart Rate Training Zone Calculator - Argonaut Cycle Coaching ) and got 159 Avg HR on second 10 min TT lap. Got my zones from the calculator but i'm stuck at adding the values in Garmin Connect. Can someone help?

Thx in advance

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Connect could be including non-pedaling time into the cadance average.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Is there way to set a reminder alarm to beep every 45m to take a salt capsule and eat?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Under your activity profile,go to alerts than time alert and set it to 45minutes...just simple as that

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Some impressions:

2) Is one app calculating "No Pedaling" into average (there are options in my 520)

3) Without Power Meter, you are only guessing with calorie burn, even with PM while MTB'ing it is not taking into consideration effort put forth besides pedaling

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Is there way to set a reminder alarm to beep every 45m to take a salt capsule and eat?

Off topic, but.
    Is there a reason you would want to take a salt capsule while riding?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Klaser View Post
    Under your activity profile,go to alerts than time alert and set it to 45minutes...just simple as that
    Cool. Thx

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by twobigwheels View Post
    Off topic, but.
    Is there a reason you would want to take a salt capsule while riding?
    For electrolytes. Don't you use something to replenish your electrolytes? It's actually called salts icky. Not really just salt. Has a mix of sodium, magnesium, potassium, calcium, etc.. I forget what other " ..iums" they have in there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Autocorrect: Saltsticks

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Don't you use something to replenish your electrolytes?

No I don't. See 7th paragraph down in link.

"During exercise, as fluid is lost through sweating and in other ways, the concentration of sodium in the body actually increases. The reason is because much more fluid is lost than sodium. One might lose around a liter of water during exercise but only lose a small amount of sodium in sweat."

"So your sodium becomes more concentrated during exercise as you sweat, not less as we’ve been led to believe. In other words, you don’t need to replace lost sodium during exercise because the loss is inconsequential while the volume of water lost is significant."
    Joe Friel

http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2008/09/hydration-and-exercise-part-2.html

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by michael9218 View Post
    I wanted to provide an update to the problems I have been having with the Edge 520 and the tracking errors I was getting when mountain biking. The problem rarely was evident on road rides.

Back story; I received my first 520 in September after having issues with 2 Edge 500 units. Edge 520 randomly had tracking errors as well. After talking to Garmin and trying a few things, they sent me a new unit in January. New unit immediately had problems. After much discussion with Garmin Tech Support, including sending them the files on my unit and examples of my friends with no issues, they conceded that there was nothing else they could believe was causing the issues so they sent me yet another unit, though they said they were in disbelief that I could have 2 units be faulty.

I took the new unit on a ride this morning mounted side by side with the older unit (well actually, older unit on out front mount and new unit on stem mount). You can see from the snap shot of the ride that the older unit fails while the new unit does just fine.

It is my opinion that Garmin has a quality control issue with this unit. I'm seeing more and more people post this frustration. If you are having issue, consider that you may have a defective unit and contact Garmin.

New unit:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rope Mill new Edge520.JPG 
Views:	1822 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	1081388

Older unit:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rope Mill old Edge520.JPG 
Views:	1741 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	1081389
    I am having tracking problems with my 520.

Taking it out tomorrow after making some changes - new battery in Speed Sensor and Garmin recommended cleaning out history of rides and re-syncing attached devices. I am having tracking problem with two Different 520's when paired to a Stages Power Meter.

since 4/10/2009
    No I don't. See 7th paragraph down in link.

"During exercise, as fluid is lost through sweating and in other ways, the concentration of sodium in the body actually increases. The reason is because much more fluid is lost than sodium. One might lose around a liter of water during exercise but only lose a small amount of sodium in sweat."

"So your sodium becomes more concentrated during exercise as you sweat, not less as we’ve been led to believe. In other words, you don’t need to replace lost sodium during exercise because the loss is inconsequential while the volume of water lost is significant."
    Joe Friel

http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2008/09/hydration-and-exercise-part-2.html
    So multiple things are going on during exercise. You lose water AND electrolytes in sweat. Hydrating well DILUTES the remaining salts in your body unless you are able to recover what you sweat out. Lick your arms, maybe? Wear a plastic suit and drink your sweat?

I live and ride in a humid environment. Sweating does not cool you very well when the air is so wet already. So sweat volume increases because your body is still trying to cool itself. I go through more water when humidity is high than when it is low.

I also can tell you the very uncomfortable things that happen to my body when my electrolyte balance is off. Most relevant to riding, I get splitting headaches. They go away once I do something about my electrolytes. I am not sure which one (s) are low when I have headaches like that. It might be interesting to know. I do know that I get muscle tremors with low magnesium levels. I know this because I had to take prescription strength magnesium supplements because a side effect of medical treatment I received many years ago resulted in low magnesium. I seem to still have some lingering effects there because I occasionally still get those tremors.

Not everyone necessarily NEEDS heavy electrolyte supplementation because bodies and conditions vary widely. But low electrolytes CAN and DO happen to people and supplementing is not wrong. In fact, it can really save your bacon.

Hyponatremia IS a thing and it seems to hit endurance athletes more than othes. I typically choose supplements with lower sodium content, though. Lower sodium content works fine for me, and magnesium seems to be what I need to address most, anyway.

I started using supplements because I paid attention to my body, not because I read some articles on the internet that told me what I needed to do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I seem to do better if I take care of my electrolytes every hr, especially in the heat otherwise I feel much more tired. Same reason why ppl drink sports drinks like Gatorade. Surprised if you're exercising and exerting yourself for several hrs you won't benefit from something like that. Maybe you're a monster and don't need stuff like this. I've tried both and replacing the calories burnt seems to help. I try to eat a little something and replenish electrolytes every hr. I drink about 2.5L of water every 2.5hrs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott McIntyre View Post
    How is the Wahoo RPM cadence sensor working out with rough technical trails? I was concerned the builtin accelerometer would capture false data as you bounce over rocks / roots / jumps / etc. Same with the Wahoo RPM speed sensor.

I currently have the Wahoo Blue SC speed & cadence sensor which uses traditional magnets, but am afraid the unit will get knocked off / lost. Maybe need to rig up a tether for it.
    The Wahoo RPM sensor was for my friend. I just had it to try out temporarily. He uses it on his road bike and tandem, rather than offroad. It seems to work better attached to a crank, rather than on a shoe mount, the data looks a bit cleaner on a crank but from the rides he's posted they're both mostly ok.

When it comes to mountain bikes and accelerometer based cadence there can be issues. I have a Power2Max Type S power meter on my current bike, which uses an accelerometer for cadence, and that's unflustered offroad. It just works without any unexpected readings.

A lot of it depends on the software and how sensitive it is though. Some accelerometer based sensors can give false readings offroad eg:

https://forums.mtbr.com/xc-racing-tr...es-983066.html

mtbr member
    Hello!

This depends on your settings in the Garmin. If you're using automatic wheel size then it can go on either bike and the wheel circumference will be set each time.

If you're using manual wheel size circumference settings, and the two bikes have different wheels/tyres you would need to remember to change the wheel circumference setting each time.

Of the two options you're usually better off measuring the wheel circumference for both bikes, writing them down, and then manually changing it under the sensor settings whenever you switch bikes. The Garmin automatic wheelsize setting can sometimes go wrong when calculating initially and cause issues. It only takes a few seconds to change the wheel circumference measurement manually in the settings.

mtbr member
    Also i am having a hard time setting my Heart Rate Zones in Garmin Connect. I did the test ( Heart Rate Training Zone Calculator - Argonaut Cycle Coaching ) and got 159 Avg HR on second 10 min TT lap. Got my zones from the calculator but i'm stuck at adding the values in Garmin Connect. Can someone help?

Thx in advance
    When it comes to heart rate or power zones and Garmins the easiest way is to enter them manually in the device, rather than syncing them. If you're adding the values in Garmin Connect, start with the highest values, as that allows you to then move the lower values up and down to match as needed.

If you have too many zones make the highest ones far higher than you would use (eg: 240bpm+ ) so they just never register,

mtbr member
    Edit: Apparently the cadence difference is due to a Garmin Edge 520 issue with selecting a different activity type when saving the ride before transferring it to Garmin Connect:

"I did some research.
    It is related to the new feature "Set Activity type" that was introduced in 6.03 BETA, and then in 6.20 official. If you select any sub-type of cycling, GC will not recognise the average cadence recorded in the FIT file, and compute its own with zeros included based on all the cadence values recorded. If you stick to the the original activity type "Cycling" everything is as before.
    Conclusion: The fault is in GC, but is related to the new "Set avtivity type" feature in 6.20. I guess the problem is also present for Edge 1000.

Stig"
    Stiivers

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread...987#post868987

---------------------

My original reply:

That's a bit of an odd one. I'd have expected it to be the other way round, a lower average cadence on the device and then a higher average cadence for Garmin Connect and Strava.

On the Garmin Edge 520 if you go Menu - Settings - System - Data Recording there are three settings Recording Interval, Cadence Averaging and Power Averaging.

These should be set to

Recording Interval - 1 sec
    Cadence Averaging - "Do Not Include Zeros"
    Power Averaging - "Include Zeros"

If you had Cadence averaging set to "Include Zeros" this would include the time spent freewheeling during the ride in your average cadence. This would give you a lower average cadence on the device. You usually want to have your cadence averaging display excluding freewheeling.

Strava (and I think Garmin Connect) recalculate the averages and always exclude freewheeling (the equivalent of using the "Do Not Include Zeros" setting) from the average cadence shown for your ride on the Strava website, which would give you the higher cadence figure.

When it comes to calorie differences this is down to two things - the user profile settings in different websites and also Strava and Garmin Connect using different methods to estimate calories burnt during rides. In general they're both likely to be inaccurate.

On Strava under settings make sure your weight is correct, and also go to My Gear and add a bike that is set to "mountain bike" as your default with a bike weight in. That might possibly help push the calories burnt estimate up.

On Garmin Connect under settings check your weight, heart rate zones and choose an activity level, probably a higher one. They feed into the calorie burnt estimate on Garmin Connect.

I wouldn't believe that either figure is particularly accurate though. They're only estimates and can frequently be wildly off.
    Last edited by WR304; 07-16-2016 at 02:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    This depends on your settings in the Garmin. If you're using automatic wheel size then it can go on either bike and the wheel circumference will be set each time.

If you're using manual wheel size circumference settings, and the two bikes have different wheels/tyres you would need to remember to change the wheel circumference setting each time.

Of the two options you're usually better off measuring the wheel circumference for both bikes, writing them down, and then manually changing it under the sensor settings whenever you switch bikes. The Garmin automatic wheelsize setting can sometimes go wrong when calculating initially and cause issues. It only takes a few seconds to change the wheel circumference measurement manually in the settings.
    Thank you for this. Exactly the answer for my next question.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Edit: Apparently the cadence difference is due to a Garmin Edge 520 issue with selecting a different activity type when saving the ride before transferring it to Garmin Connect:

"I did some research.
    It is related to the new feature "Set Activity type" that was introduced in 6.03 BETA, and then in 6.20 official. If you select any sub-type of cycling, GC will not recognise the average cadence recorded in the FIT file, and compute its own with zeros included based on all the cadence values recorded. If you stick to the the original activity type "Cycling" everything is as before.
    Conclusion: The fault is in GC, but is related to the new "Set avtivity type" feature in 6.20. I guess the problem is also present for Edge 1000.

Stig"
    Stiivers

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread...987#post868987

---------------------

My original reply:

That's a bit of an odd one. I'd have expected it to be the other way round, a lower average cadence on the device and then a higher average cadence for Garmin Connect and Strava.

On the Garmin Edge 520 if you go Menu - Settings - System - Data Recording there are three settings Recording Interval, Cadence Averaging and Power Averaging.

These should be set to

Recording Interval - 1 sec
    Cadence Averaging - "Do Not Include Zeros"
    Power Averaging - "Include Zeros"

If you had Cadence averaging set to "Include Zeros" this would include the time spent freewheeling during the ride in your average cadence. This would give you a lower average cadence on the device. You usually want to have your cadence averaging display excluding freewheeling.

Strava (and I think Garmin Connect) recalculate the averages and always exclude freewheeling (the equivalent of using the "Do Not Include Zeros" setting) from the average cadence shown for your ride on the Strava website, which would give you the higher cadence figure.

When it comes to calorie differences this is down to two things - the user profile settings in different websites and also Strava and Garmin Connect using different methods to estimate calories burnt during rides. In general they're both likely to be inaccurate.

On Strava under settings make sure your weight is correct, and also go to My Gear and add a bike that is set to "mountain bike" as your default with a bike weight in. That might possibly help push the calories burnt estimate up.

On Garmin Connect under settings check your weight, heart rate zones and choose an activity level, probably a higher one. They feed into the calorie burnt estimate on Garmin Connect.

I wouldn't believe that either figure is particularly accurate though. They're only estimates and can frequently be wildly off.
    In terms of cadence, i have the settings that u described, but seems that the unit itself and Strava displays the correct value, but the Garmin Connect gives a lower number.

For the Strava segments i have read a post from you ( from this topic ) that in order to ride a starred segment ( that is, let's say 10km away from my starting point ) i must select it from the menu, and navigate to the start of it. But, what happens with my ride before i get to the segment, and after i am done with it? How do i register those parts? Or since i hit the "Navigate to the start" it automatically starts recording?

mtbr member
    In terms of cadence, i have the settings that u described, but seems that the unit itself and Strava displays the correct value, but the Garmin Connect gives a lower number.

For the Strava segments i have read a post from you ( from this topic ) that in order to ride a starred segment ( that is, let's say 10km away from my starting point ) i must select it from the menu, and navigate to the start of it. But, what happens with my ride before i get to the segment, and after i am done with it? How do i register those parts? Or since i hit the "Navigate to the start" it automatically starts recording?
    The Garmin forums link above explains why the average cadence in Garmin Connect is wrong. It's a bug that needs fixing with the activity type setting. You should be able to work around it by changing the activity type to the default before saving the ride.

Strava Live segments only work if you aren't following a Course. The "Navigate to the start" message will only appear if you are following a Course so you won't have any Strava Live segments show in that ride.

If you don't have a Course loaded, but do have some Strava Live segments starred and enabled, then you would start recording your ride normally by pressing the Start button on the Garmin Edge 520. Ride to the start of the segment and it should automatically detect the approaching segment when you are close. At that point the screen should change to the Strava segment screen and a countdown begin before you start the segment properly.

The best way to test the Strava segments is to enable one that's close by so you can see what happens when you reach it without needing to travel very far.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    So multiple things are going on during exercise. You lose water AND electrolytes in sweat. Hydrating well DILUTES the remaining salts in your body unless you are able to recover what you sweat out. Lick your arms, maybe? Wear a plastic suit and drink your sweat?

I live and ride in a humid environment. Sweating does not cool you very well when the air is so wet already. So sweat volume increases because your body is still trying to cool itself. I go through more water when humidity is high than when it is low.

I also can tell you the very uncomfortable things that happen to my body when my electrolyte balance is off. Most relevant to riding, I get splitting headaches. They go away once I do something about my electrolytes. I am not sure which one (s) are low when I have headaches like that. It might be interesting to know. I do know that I get muscle tremors with low magnesium levels. I know this because I had to take prescription strength magnesium supplements because a side effect of medical treatment I received many years ago resulted in low magnesium. I seem to still have some lingering effects there because I occasionally still get those tremors.

Not everyone necessarily NEEDS heavy electrolyte supplementation because bodies and conditions vary widely. But low electrolytes CAN and DO happen to people and supplementing is not wrong. In fact, it can really save your bacon.

Hyponatremia IS a thing and it seems to hit endurance athletes more than othes. I typically choose supplements with lower sodium content, though. Lower sodium content works fine for me, and magnesium seems to be what I need to address most, anyway.

I started using supplements because I paid attention to my body, not because I read some articles on the internet that told me what I needed to do.
    Sounds like you have it under control with symptoms and a professional diagnosis.

My point was taking electrolytes blindly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I seem to do better if I take care of my electrolytes every hr, especially in the heat otherwise I feel much more tired. Same reason why ppl drink sports drinks like Gatorade. Surprised if you're exercising and exerting yourself for several hrs you won't benefit from something like that. Maybe you're a monster and don't need stuff like this. I've tried both and replacing the calories burnt seems to help. I try to eat a little something and replenish electrolytes every hr. I drink about 2.5L of water every 2.5hrs.

If you think electrolytes can be absorbed orally and help in 1 hour,,, OK.

I thought people drank Gatorade because of marketing.

Not a monster, just OG.

Yes, on calories. 1/2 cup Maltodextrin = 200 calories (from Bulkfoods.com) with 2 tbsp Orange Gatorade (2tbsp is recommended for 12oz of water) per 20oz bottle (1=color, so I know it's mixed. 2=flavor, Malto has no flavor or color).

Can't eat solids on mtb, I have a hard enough time taking one hand off the bar to grab my bottle while riding.

I usually end up drinking 3/4 to entire 20oz bottle per hour no matter what temp is.

If it works for you, great.

since 4/10/2009

While it is true that digestion slows when exercising, the nice thing is that electrolytes are passively absorbed into your body. They don't need much active digestion. One benefit of electrolytes in drinks is that they are available sooner than the tablets that I tend to prefer.

Now, if only the Edge 520 could directly control an IV pump with an ideal mix of electrolytes for your specific needs and adjust it as you ride.

Trail Ninja
    Absorb orally? You mean like swooshing a solution in your mouth, without needing to swallow?

You being sarcastic about 1 hour thing, as if that's not likely?

Gatorade has some valid science behind it. The marketing claims are taken out of context though, and therefore can be misleading. They often conveniently leave out that the effects were noted when the athlete had being participating in strenuous activity for a prolonged period of time. Whoever believes it can offer a boost to their performance, is probably a sucker. Like most other drinks, it just stems the negative effects of exhaustion, and the context behind claims like the sports drinks giving extra power, is compared to power output when exhausted.
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

Formerly of Kent
    There are multiple studies that have shown that just taking a sip of a sports drink, swooshing it around your mouth and spitting it out can have performance benefits.

I'd imagine actually swallowing it might be even better.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtb addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Absorb orally? You mean like swooshing a solution in your mouth, without needing to swallow?

Like most other drinks, it just stems the negative effects of exhaustion, and the context behind claims like the sports drinks giving extra power, is compared to power output when exhausted.
    I'm an MD and cyclist with a huge interest in sports physiology. Sports nutrition is one of the biggest advantages today's athletes have over those of 10-20 years ago, and it gets better all the time. As you state, by 'stemming negative effects', sports drinks aid performance. Will they boost your VO2 Max or similar measures in the short term? Absolutely not. Will proper nutrition enhance recovery, allow you to train harder, and over time enhance many measures of fitness? Absolutely yes. Is Gatorade the 'best' sports drink out there? Perhaps for a small fraction of people. Most need more electrolytes than it offers.

LeDuke is correct. Sublingual absorption is far faster than gastric absorption, so swish and spit away... or swallow if you're the type

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Not a monster, just OG.

Yes, on calories. 1/2 cup Maltodextrin = 200 calories (from Bulkfoods.com) with 2 tbsp Orange Gatorade (2tbsp is recommended for 12oz of water) per 20oz bottle (1=color, so I know it's mixed. 2=flavor, Malto has no flavor or color).

Can't eat solids on mtb, I have a hard enough time taking one hand off the bar to grab my bottle while riding.

I usually end up drinking 3/4 to entire 20oz bottle per hour no matter what temp is.

If it works for you, great.
    Yes I think I'm able to absorb it orally. I use to bonk when I first started riding with just water but I haven't bonked since taking care of my electrolytes. I take some dates as a way to add calories and it has some sugar too.

I'm glad Malto works for you. Sounds like a sugar high to me but if it makes you OG then go for it. It isn't for everyone tho especially if have diabetes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Yes I think I'm able to absorb it orally. I use to bonk when I first started riding with just water but I haven't bonked since taking care of my electrolytes. I take some dates as a way to add calories and it has some sugar too.

I'm glad Malto works for you. Sounds like a sugar high to me but if it makes you OG then go for it. It isn't for everyone tho especially if have diabetes.

Fast guys I know use Malto. (Carbo Pro)

I should be more careful where & how I use my acronym's.

I meant OG as in "Old Guy" (52 yrs young)

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    It seems unlike the 510, the 520 doesn't have different bike profiles. I know that you can setup bikes as gear under garmin connect, and change them post ride there.. but when using sensors won't that basically co-mingle statistics?

If I want to use my 520 on both road riding and mtb what's the best way to do that? Or should I just not care, and let Stava do the the sorting & tracking of activities by bike/style?

since 4/10/2009
    The 520 has bike profiles.

They pretty much are just used to save your display settings.

Sensor settings (like wheel rollout) are maintained with each sensor. So if you use a wheel sensor on your mtb as well as your road bike, the GPS will pick that up when you ride your mtb and provide the correct distance.

Just don't move sensors from one bike to another. That will screw up measurements.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Sensor settings (like wheel rollout) are maintained with each sensor. So if you use a wheel sensor on your mtb as well as your road bike, the GPS will pick that up when you ride your mtb and provide the correct distance.

Just don't move sensors from one bike to another. That will screw up measurements.
    I use heartrate, cadence and speed sensors. I should be fine to use heart rate and cadence interchangeable between bikes and just get another speed sensors for the road bike then?

since 4/10/2009
    Best to leave your cadence sensors on bikes, too

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I'm having this problem with my 520, recording ascent approx 500 ft lower than "actual" compared to old ride with my Edge 350, friend with 500 and another friend using Strava on a smart phone. They were within 30 ft of each other, and my 520 recorded approx 500 ft less.

WR304 - Have you been able to correct or adjust this with the 520. I verified the starting altitude was correct, within 1 ft of actual.

Thanks.

The Garmin Edge 520 has a barometric altimeter. The four small holes that you see on the underside of the device are for the barometric altimeter and temperature.

These holes need to be unobstructed for the altimeter to work properly.

Barometric altimeters are nothing new. They have been a feature of Garmins for a long time. Compared to using GPS elevation there are pros and cons to a barometric altimeter. The barometric altimeter can be affected by changes in the weather so isn't always perfect.

All about barometric altimeters - GPS Tracklog

With the Garmin Edge 520 you can set a starting altitude if you regularly set off from the same place. Enter the correct altitude and then Mark Location so that it will remember it for next time. I got into the habit of leaving my Garmin Edge 500 sat outside turned on for 20 minutes plus to settle before setting off on a ride and have been doing the same thing with the Garmin Edge 520 too.

Here is a comparison between the Garmin Edge 520 and GPS elevation on today's ride.

This graph shows the elevation recorded by my Garmin Edge 520 over 44 miles today. The green highlighted points are the top of the same hill. Near the beginning of the ride was heading out and I also came back past the same point on the way home. You can see how despite this the altitude values don't match. The location was the same but the Garmin Edge 520 had recorded a different, lower, value on the return journey. The weather was closing in and it was getting colder.

The Garmin Edge 520 altitude trace isn't particularly detailed, it doesn't pick up small changes or rises. Compared to the Garmin Edge 500 the Garmin Edge 520 barometric altimeter seems about the same or maybe even slightly less responsive. It's one area that isn't clearly improved from the older models.

For the entire ride the Garmin Edge 520 recorded 1558ft ascent and 1607ft of descent. If you import this ride into Strava it will use the Garmin ascent figure for the ride elevation.

Here's exactly the same route in the Ride With GPS website. This has estimated the elevation profile from GPS data. The GPS elevation estimate for the same route gives 2150ft ascent and 2149ft descent. That's quite a big difference!

The GPS elevation estimate for the same route gives 2150ft ascent and 2149ft descent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304
    Wash out any mud gently with water.
    Create a waypoint of your start location with the correct height.
    Edges use this to calibrate the altimeter.
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I'm having this problem with my 520, recording ascent approx 500 ft lower than "actual" compared to old ride with my Edge 305
    , friend with 500 and another friend using Strava on a smart phone. They were within 30 ft of each other, and my 520 recorded approx 500 ft less.

WR304 - Have you been able to correct or adjust this with the 520. I verified the starting altitude was correct, within 1 ft of actual.

Thanks.

The Garmin Edge 520 has a barometric altimeter. The four small holes that you see on the underside of the device are for the barometric altimeter and temperature.

Barometric altimeters are nothing new. They have been a feature of Garmins for a long time. Compared to using GPS elevation there are pros and cons to a barometric altimeter. The barometric altimeter can be affected by changes in the weather so isn't always perfect.

All about barometric altimeters - GPS Tracklog

With the Garmin Edge 520 you can set a starting altitude if you regularly set off from the same place. Enter the correct altitude and then Mark Location so that it will remember it for next time. I got into the habit of leaving my Garmin Edge 500 sat outside turned on for 20 minutes plus to settle before setting off on a ride and have been doing the same thing with the Garmin Edge 520 too.

Here is a comparison between the Garmin Edge 520 and GPS elevation on today's ride.

This graph shows the elevation recorded by my Garmin Edge 520 over 44 miles today. The green highlighted points are the top of the same hill. Near the beginning of the ride was heading out and I also came back past the same point on the way home. You can see how despite this the altitude values don't match. The location was the same but the Garmin Edge 520 had recorded a different, lower, value on the return journey. The weather was closing in and it was getting colder.

The Garmin Edge 520 altitude trace isn't particularly detailed, it doesn't pick up small changes or rises. Compared to the Garmin Edge 500 the Garmin Edge 520 barometric altimeter seems about the same or maybe even slightly less responsive. It's one area that isn't clearly improved from the older models.

For the entire ride the Garmin Edge 520 recorded 1558ft ascent and 1607ft of descent. If you import this ride into Strava it will use the Garmin ascent figure for the ride elevation.

Here's exactly the same route in the Ride With GPS website. This has estimated the elevation profile from GPS data. The GPS elevation estimate for the same route gives 2150ft ascent and 2149ft descent. That's quite a big difference!

The GPS elevation estimate for the same route gives 2150ft ascent and 2149ft descent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Virgil View Post
    I'm having this problem with my 520, recording ascent approx 500 ft lower than "actual" compared to old ride with my Edge 350, friend with 500 and another friend using Strava on a smart phone. They were within 30 ft of each other, and my 520 recorded approx 500 ft less.

Thanks.
    The Garmin Edge 520 barometric altimeter can be a bit problematic. In Strava you can click the Blue Elevation? button under your ascent total to have it recalculate your ascent totals on that ride.

For dry rides I tend to just leave the ascent totals unedited. I'm not that bothered. For wet rides I'll replace the altitude data with GPS altitude in the .fit file itself as a first step before uploading the ride. Fit File Repair Tool (paid for program) works well.

This picture shows the ascent totals for a dry ride from today. This was using my Garmin Edge 520 with the 6.20 firmware. The upper part of the picture is a screenshot of the ascent total displayed on the Garmin Edge 520 itself. 3,146ft ascent.

The lower part of the picture is a screenshot of the ascent total for the unedited ride after it has been uploaded to Strava. You can see that the ascent total in Strava matches that on the Garmin 3,146ft. The ascent total has been pulled across without being adjusted or recalculated within Strava. It just takes the total from the Garmin.

This picture shows the ascent totals for exactly the same unedited .fit file opened in Fit File Repair Tool 3,412ft ascent and Ride With GPS 3,518ft ascent. I still haven't done anything to the file at this point. These two programs both recalculate the total ascent, rather than taking the total. From this the Garmin Edge 520 internal altitude calculation looks to be low. With my Garmin Edge 520 at least the ascent calculation, based on an unedited .fit file, is lower than the ascent calculation for the same file in other programs.

That's the unedited file using barometric altimeter data. If the same ride has the data replaced with GPS altitude data the totals change even more!

Original Garmin total: 3,146ft

Fit File Repair Tool GPS altitude 3,986ft ascent
    Ride With GPS GPS altitude 3,846ft ascent
    Strava GPS elevation correction 2,774ft ascent (I have no idea why it actually went down)

Continued:

What works is to correct the ascent readings using Fit File Repair Tool, so that the original .fit file has its altitude data replaced with the GPS altitude data, and then upload the corrected file to Strava. This sees Strava using the Fit File Repair Tool ascent for its total.

Here is a screenshot showing the new elevation total in Strava. I deleted the previous ride and uploaded the corrected file in its place. Strava now has 3,986ft for its elevation total, 822ft more than the Garmin Edge 520 device total of 3,146ft I had started with!

The main downside of this is that although it's very useful Fit File Repair Tool is a paid for program that costs money, rather than a free program.
    Last edited by WR304; 07-27-2016 at 01:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Update to my issue under #440 p.18
    I had Garmin on the phone, they ended up sending me a new unit, all is good now. I did the same tracks, etc on my bike without any erratic recordings.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My 510 links to my android phone flawlessly most of the time. Yesterday however, I had a ride where the 510 shut off for some reason and, while the ride data to that point is on the 510, I cannot get it to upload it. I go to the ride on the 510 and choose to upload it, and it appears to do so but never shows up in connect. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

LCW
    mtbr member
    Strictly for MTB'ing, I'm guessing the 520 is likely a better choice than the 820, due to me wearing full finger gloves, not to mention possibly mud/water getting on the capacitive screen and causing issues.

Anyone care to comment that has tried both for mtb. I don't road ride, so i don't see the 820 as being a good choice for me. The one thing it has is more internal memory which would be great if the 520 had (for more OSM base map installations).

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Strictly for MTB'ing, I'm guessing the 520 is likely a better choice than the 820, due to me wearing full finger gloves, not to mention possibly mud/water getting on the capacitive screen and causing issues.

Anyone care to comment that has tried both for mtb. I don't road ride, so i don't see the 820 as being a good choice for me. The one thing it has is more internal memory which would be great if the 520 had (for more OSM base map installations).
    I've not used the 820 or the 520, but I have a 510 with the touch screen and I can say that I really wish I didn't have the touch screen so the 520 would have been a better choice. It's not a very responsive touch screen and I hate the fact that I always seem to switch screens whenever I try to wipe something off the screen to make it readable.

mtbr member
    My 510 links to my android phone flawlessly most of the time. Yesterday however, I had a ride where the 510 shut off for some reason and, while the ride data to that point is on the 510, I cannot get it to upload it. I go to the ride on the 510 and choose to upload it, and it appears to do so but never shows up in connect. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
    Have you tried uploading the file manually? Connect the Garmin Edge 510 to a computer by USB, copy off yesterday's .fit ride file (it should be visible as an external drive in My Computer - Garmin\Activities with the date as the first part of the file name.)

Log into Garmin Connect via a web browser on the computer and try uploading the .fit file manually. That may work, or may give an error message if there is something wrong with the file.

It's possible that the .fit file is corrupt also. It might need repairing before it will upload. If you share the .fit file I can have a look at it in Fit File Repair Tool if you like.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Have you tried uploading the file manually? Connect the Garmin Edge 510 to a computer by USB, copy off yesterday's .fit ride file (it should be visible as an external drive in My Computer - Garmin\Activities with the date as the first part of the file name.)

Log into Garmin Connect via a web browser on the computer and try uploading the .fit file manually. That may work, or may give an error message if there is something wrong with the file.

It's possible that the .fit file is corrupt also. It might need repairing before it will upload. If you share the .fit file I can have a look at it in Fit File Repair Tool if you like.
    Thanks.....very helpful. The file must be corrupt because it didn't work, but it's really not worth the effort to send it to you for repair. I'm just happy to know what to try if it happens again.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    During my rides random strava segments that I have not selected keep coming up. How do I limit it to only the segments I have selected?

Rent this space for $
    Quote Originally Posted by brianw7 View Post
    During my rides random strava segments that I have not selected keep coming up. How do I limit it to only the segments I have selected?
    I had this happen, too. Quite a number of familiar trails were popping up. When I went to Strava on desktop, I recall they had been starred though I don't recall intentionally doing that. I think that I might have at one time before I understood what "starring" a trail was actually doing since I hadn't used the feature prior to Strava Live Segments.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Does the 520 do "smart recording" like the 500 did, and if so do you guys use that for recording or the 1 sec interval.

For tight twisty single track, I believe the 1 sec sampling rate is more accurate.

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

since 4/10/2009
    Does the 520 do "smart recording" like the 500 did, and if so do you guys use that for recording or the 1 sec interval.

For tight twisty single track, I believe the 1 sec sampling rate is more accurate.
    It can do smart recording and no, I don't use it.

Magically Delicious
    It would be nice if they could accelerate the 1 second intervals to 0.5 seconds. Perhaps that's a Department of Defense restriction.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    It would be nice if they could accelerate the 1 second intervals to 0.5 seconds. Perhaps that's a Department of Defense restriction.
    Nope. There's gotta be some sort of hardware or firmware limitation. Memory, perhaps? I dunno exactly why Garmin won't go 10Hz, but the hardware is available. It's also not unreasonably expensive.

These guys use a 10Hz recording frequency. Every 0.1sec.
    PUSH | PUSH

A number of GPS dataloggers also record at 10Hz.
    https://www.google.com/search?source...i57j0.4416j0j4

LCW
    mtbr member
    I would think it's a memory limitation thing - in the sense of garmin wanting to keep filesize small so they can cheap out on amount of memory.

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

since 4/10/2009
    I would think it's a memory limitation thing - in the sense of garmin wanting to keep filesize small so they can cheap out on amount of memory.
    That may be. It could also be a processing issue. We know that Garmins process their own data to address multipath and other errors. The data we get from a Garmin is not "raw" in the sense that it is unprocessed. Processing data at 10Hz will require a more robust processor than one that processes data at 1Hz.

since 4/10/2009

I find that for riding, a resistive touchscreen is better than capacitive. Yes, it's less responsive, but the touchscreen on my Galaxy S5 will absolutely flip out when my sweaty paws start rubbing all over it. Rain also causes problems. I am very happy to have real buttons on the Edge 520. I used an Oregon 450 with a resistive touchscreen for a number of years. It was okay. It worked with most gloves (bulky winter gloves were still a problem). It didn't freak out with a little rain or sweat. But I still got the occasional inadvertent activation (increasing drain on the battery), and the touchscreen itself added so much battery draw that I had to have the screen go into battery save mode (go totally blank) to keep a useable life out of it. Last fall, I did a 10+hr ride and my Oregon crapped out on me because I was pulling up the map screen too frequently, along with the occasional screen activation from bumping the device.

Those are issues I just don't have with the Edge 520. And the screen is always on, so I can see what I need to at a glance.

mtbr member
    That may be. It could also be a processing issue. We know that Garmins process their own data to address multipath and other errors. The data we get from a Garmin is not "raw" in the sense that it is unprocessed. Processing data at 10Hz will require a more robust processor than one that processes data at 1Hz.
    1 sample/second = 3600 samples/hour.
    Max tracklog =10000 points (samples) < 3 hours...
    Seems like a limitation in their own software?

But more samples does not make a device more accurate.
    Better gps reception does.
    Is the reception of the 520 anything like the 64 or the Etrex 10, 20 30 ?
    The 810's reception is terrible, compared to my Etrex 10 and 30.
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

mtbr member
    Thanks.....very helpful. The file must be corrupt because it didn't work, but it's really not worth the effort to send it to you for repair. I'm just happy to know what to try if it happens again.
    You might find that the corrupt file will stop your later rides uploading to Garmin Connect too. I'd be inclined to delete at least that activity file (best to clear them all out regularly) off the device, so that the next time you sync it there are only fresh good files on there that will upload with no errors.

mtbr member

The Garmin Edge 820 has some features that look nice (being able to zoom and pan the map via the touchscreen, navigation, light sensor for backlight strength etc) but it also looks to be successfully maintaining Garmin's reputation for releasing buggy half finished products that need multiple firmware updates to get to a working state.

For mountain biking the Garmin Edge 820 appears to have an overly sensitive touch screen that changes display by itself when rain drops fall on it. The navigation seems sketchy and random shut downs whilst riding are a worry too.

That may be overly harsh but that's what has been putting me off getting one.

LCW
    mtbr member
    I've ordered a 520, as I think it's a safer bet for MTB'ing. And with the basemap procedure from dcrainmaker, it should serve me well.

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thasingletrackmastah View Post
    1 sample/second = 3600 samples/hour.
    Max tracklog =10000 points (samples) < 3 hours...
    Seems like a limitation in their own software?

But more samples does not make a device more accurate.
    Better gps reception does.
    Is the reception of the 520 anything like the 64 or the Etrex 10, 20 30 ?
    The 810's reception is terrible, compared to my Etrex 10 and 30.
    Tracklog memory on edges is not limited by number of points. Only limitation on them is total history capacity in number of hours.

The 10000 point limitation only exists on handhelds now.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    10hz would kill battery life which is probably the tradeoff Garmin is making by staying at 1Hz max.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Received my 520 today... Hmmm... not sure I can keep... the interface and navigating it is really annoying... Might have to go 820...

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

LCW
    mtbr member
    Is the "lap" button supposed to feel different that the start/stop (play/pause) button? It seems to be lacking detent...

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Is there a published description of the 7.0 update yet? I don't see it on garmins site, I'll definitely wait to install it, just curious what they changed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Is there a published description of the 7.0 update yet? I don't see it on garmins site, I'll definitely wait to install it, just curious what they changed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I had this happen, too. Quite a number of familiar trails were popping up. When I went to Strava on desktop, I recall they had been starred though I don't recall intentionally doing that. I think that I might have at one time before I understood what "starring" a trail was actually doing since I hadn't used the feature prior to Strava Live Segments.
    I turned off live segments all together because of this, I could see segments were not starred, but still kept popping up, its really annoying to have to hit the back button to see your data instead of the segment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post
    I swear I checked this before posting, lol, It was showing only 6.2 and a 6.24 beta. Doesn't look like any functionality updates, just apps..

mtbrer

New question here. Auto Pause

Has anyone found that the Auto Pause doesn't work as expected? I have had mine set to 'pause when stopped' but the thing will pause when I come to a rough hike-a-bike and my speed drops to 1.5 - 2.0 mph, or so. It has failed to capture segments of activities due to this.

I have recently tried setting it to pause at a custom speed: 0.1 mph. I'll see if this improves the function or not.
    --Reamer

Magically Delicious
    I don't use the Auto-Pause on the Garmin. I let the post ride app do that.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post
    Has anyone found that the Auto Pause doesn't work as expected? I have had mine set to 'pause when stopped' but the thing will pause when I come to a rough hike-a-bike and my speed drops to 1.5 - 2.0 mph, or so. It has failed to capture segments of activities due to this.

I have recently tried setting it to pause at a custom speed: 0.1 mph. I'll see if this improves the function or not.
    That is how auto pause works. Has for more than a decade. Don't use it for mtb riding.

Formerly of Kent
    Anyone use a 520 with an SRM?

If so, do you sometimes NOT get the "calibrate" option under MENU> SETTINGS>SENSORS?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Is the "lap" button supposed to feel different that the start/stop (play/pause) button? It seems to be lacking detent...
    On my Garmin Edge 520 the Start/Stop button has a little bit more of a "click" than the Lap button, which has no noticeable click at all. It's just a smooth press. My Garmin has been dropped on the ground at some point in the past too, landing directly on the Lap button. The Lap button is now permanently half recessed. It hasn't affected the function though so it still works.

The five side buttons all have a distinct "click" to them. When brand new they were quite stiff but loosened up and don't require such hard presses now.

mtbr member
    7.0 update now Bluetooth not working! Anyone have this problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Jip, had to remove device and reconnect

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I fixed my issue - there is a little box called 'popular segments' make sure it is not selected...otherwise it picks up these popular segments as well as your starred segments.

mtbrer
    That is how auto pause works. Has for more than a decade. Don't use it for mtb riding.
    That is not how it worked on my 705. I used it for years mountain biking. Auto pause worked very reliably on my Garmin 705.

Less so on the wife's 810, and worse yet on the 520. Maybe the "feature" is the same on 810 and 520 -- 520 seems worse cause it's my issue now.

--Reamer

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post
    That is not how it worked on my 705. I used it for years mountain biking. Auto pause worked very reliably on my Garmin 705.

Less so on the wife's 810, and worse yet on the 520. Maybe the "feature" is the same on 810 and 520 -- 520 seems worse cause it's my issue now.

Auto pause has always had a minimum speed cutoff. If you're pushing your bike slowly enough, or even climbing slowly enough, it assumes you are stationary and that any movement is due to GPS drift.

I owned an Edge 705 and have ALWAYS disabled auto pause. ALWAYS. Let software sort that crap out later.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Wasn't normal. Returned. May try an 820.

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I accidentally installed 7.0, I need to go find the setting to not automatically push updates. I did have to re-pair my bluetooth as well.

Wish list: selections buttons be a consistent color, like green for ok, red for no. Ability to cancel update before it installs (during validation screen). Ability to only select alert tones and not button press tones. I'm alot less worried about installing buggy connect-iq apps onto a device with limited memory as it is..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSAmerica View Post
    7.0 update now Bluetooth not working! Anyone have this problem?

Got my 520 to pair to my iPhone (with 7.0) syncs now but no text message or phone call alerts.

Magically Delicious
    Who needs text or phone calls when you're riding.

mtbr member
    Got it working had to pair 2 Bluetooth device off 520.

I tell my wife to txt me if it's an emergency, I do not answer the phone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    When riding the bluetooth connection keeps always dropping so I gave up to use sms/calls alerts for now... Never find out the source of problem (520 or android 6.0 phone ).

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Device was pushed 7.10 this morning, but it doesn't seem to be installing. Just goes through the validation then shuts the device off.

And last night (before the 7.1 update was pushed) it stopped syncing to Strava. My evening ride is loaded into Connect, but todays morning ride won't sync, and neither of them are loading into Strava. Anybody else with this issue? To be clear this is on 7.0.

Edit: This mornings ride is in Connect but showing up as April 9, 2019....??

Second Edit: Don't know what's going on but the device either needs that 7.1 update or I need a hard reset. Last nights ride had corrupted time data (I wonder if that's because I paused it for 20 minutes while I went in the store?) and this mornings ride being dated in the future is a known Garmin issue. Both issues were fixed by exporting the fit (original) files from Connect, using the proper tool at fitfiletools.com, then re-importing to Connect on the web portal. Must be a common issue because Strava support had an entire support page dedicated to it
    Last edited by birdman86; 08-16-2016 at 08:40 AM.

new to MTB!
    Does anyone have the original gmapbmap.img base map file that was bundled with the 520? If so could someone be so kind as to zip it up and send me a link via PM so I can download it? - A friend is trying to restore his to factory default but is missing the original gmapbmap! - I deleted mine by mistake!

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    That is funny..after my complain here, first ride with new 7.0 firmware and the bluetooth connection worked fine...never lose it,and received a call alert....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin.J.D View Post
    Does anyone have the original gmapbmap.img base map file that was bundled with the 520? If so could someone be so kind as to zip it up and send me a link via PM so I can download it? - A friend is trying to restore his to factory default but is missing the original gmapbmap! - I deleted mine by mistake!

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help!
    Here's a download link for my original Garmin Edge 520 basemap. It's 46.21mb in size.

http://www.tinyland.org/BikeStuff/Ga...al_Basemap.zip

new to MTB!
    Here's a download link for my original Garmin Edge 520 basemap. It's 46.21mb in size.

You're a Gentleman! - Thank you!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman86 View Post
    Device was pushed 7.10 this morning, but it doesn't seem to be installing. Just goes through the validation then shuts the device off.

And last night (before the 7.1 update was pushed) it stopped syncing to Strava. My evening ride is loaded into Connect, but todays morning ride won't sync, and neither of them are loading into Strava. Anybody else with this issue? To be clear this is on 7.0.

Edit: This mornings ride is in Connect but showing up as April 9, 2019....??

Second Edit: Don't know what's going on but the device either needs that 7.1 update or I need a hard reset. Last nights ride had corrupted time data (I wonder if that's because I paused it for 20 minutes while I went in the store?) and this mornings ride being dated in the future is a known Garmin issue. Both issues were fixed by exporting the fit (original) files from Connect, using the proper tool at fitfiletools.com, then re-importing to Connect on the web portal. Must be a common issue because Strava support had an entire support page dedicated to it
    I had one ride where part way through the Garmin lost satellite reception, and then the time stamps jumped several years into the future! I had to repair the corrupt file before it could be uploaded. It's only happened once fortunately.

If every ride that you do has the wrong date now it could be that you need to refresh the timezone files on your Garmin. You could try the steps in the links here to see if this will sort it out:

Garmin Edge 520 - Page 7- Mtbr.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I received a time zone update by garmin express....Yesterday with new 7.1 firmare had a issue with bluetooth again....Erased and paired the edge with cell again and hope things will work as worked with 7.0 firmware...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My device what's me to install the 7.0 software - currently running 6.2. Should I let it update or are there issues with the new version?

LCW
    mtbr member
    Got another 520... tried the 820 briefly. Couldn't stand the touch screen. It really is horrible. In some cases too sensitive, in other cases, very laggy (especially for scrolling). No thanks. And the display "seemed" fuzzier than the 520's. Extra layer for capacitive maybe??

Anyways, this 520 has properly feeling & working buttons, so I'm happy.

Got it all loaded up with the OSM basemap from dcrainmaker's how-to. Should be good to go. My 500 seems to be lacking in accuracy so hopefully the 520, with both GPS & GLONASS (not to mention being newer) steps that up a notch.

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

since 4/10/2009
    520 accuracy has been solid for me. Only exceptions have been when I fire it up after leaving work. It's usually a bit off until I roll around the front of the building, and then it gets back on track.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by michael9218 View Post

New unit:

Older unit:

What was the length of 1 loop? Just curious on the scale. I just got a 520 and it looks more like your top plot (I did 2 laps on a short trail ~4.5 miles/lap).

Garmin Edge 520-carver_520_2laps_8-21-16.jpg

Thnx

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I wasn't paying enough attention and just updated to 7.1. Do I need to redo the custom OSM base maps or is that file left untouched during major firmware updates?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    The map will not be affected by the firmware upgrade....

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Hey guys, I made a video on how to add maps to the Garmin Edge 500 with a route I recently bike toured last month. Check it out...

mtbr member
    I wasn't paying enough attention and just updated to 7.1. Do I need to redo the custom OSM base maps or is that file left untouched during major firmware updates?
    The gmapbmap.img basemap file isn't changed during firmware updates, so that your custom map stays in place.

There is some DRM (digital rights management) that got changed in some firmware update (not sure which one) so if you try and switch maps (even though they are the free ones) you may get a "cannot unlock maps" message if you add a new basemap

If that happens you just have to load the maps in a different format. The openfietsmap ones work and you can also use Garmin OSM (ASCII) from bbbike.org

I had that happen the other week when swapping maps round for a club tour.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    My experience after automatic upgrading edge 520 is, it overwrites my gmapbmap.img i got from Free worldwide Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap with another, empty file....and it does that every single time i sync my device
    any ideas how to override that?

mtbr member
    I am getting ready for outer bike in Moab this month.I grabbed the Moab map from the dc rainmaker article but I was really hoping to find a way to add the trail systems on their. Anyone know if they are all on and how can I add new ones??

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Rent this space for $
    Trailforks on pinkbike likely has all the trails and you could download the .gpx files. I haven't done anything like this with my 520 yet but can we upload .gpx files to it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Trailforks on pinkbike likely has all the trails and you could download the .gpx files. I haven't done anything like this with my 520 yet but can we upload .gpx files to it?
    Yes
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    So the img is the actual map portion and the.gpx I'd the course section?

Thanks!!!

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    So the img is the actual map portion and the.gpx I'd the course section?

Thanks!!!

it's a bit more complicated than that. But yes, the .img is the map. It's a Garmin proprietary format, so you can't get those from just anywhere and plop them into the GPS. In some cases you can. But in most, you have to use a Garmin program to define the area you want and prepare the file.

As for .gpx files, there are lots of ways they are used. There's the History on the device, which is full of .gpx files. Course files are handled a little differently and also need to be prepared off the device before loading them. There are tutorials for both procedures all over the web. Some of which are linked earlier in this thread. There's also not only one way to do them. It depends on the programs you're using, so a particular method will only work for the specific software described in the method.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roots View Post
    My experience after automatic upgrading edge 520 is, it overwrites my gmapbmap.img i got from Free worldwide Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap with another, empty file....and it does that every single time i sync my device
    any ideas how to override that?
    Are you on firmware 7.10? There seem to be some issues with that firmware and Garmin Connect syncing affecting files and settings. Eg:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread...ore-activities

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread...ter-every-sync

It sounds like you're encountering the same issue, although with a different file.

mtbr member
    it's a bit more complicated than that. But yes, the .img is the map. It's a Garmin proprietary format, so you can't get those from just anywhere and plop them into the GPS. In some cases you can. But in most, you have to use a Garmin program to define the area you want and prepare the file.

As for .gpx files, there are lots of ways they are used. There's the History on the device, which is full of .gpx files. Course files are handled a little differently and also need to be prepared off the device before loading them. There are tutorials for both procedures all over the web. Some of which are linked earlier in this thread. There's also not only one way to do them. It depends on the programs you're using, so a particular method will only work for the specific software described in the method.
    Thanks for the info. I got it figured. I'm ready as can be for outer bike.

mtbr member
    Rolling Back to an Older Garmin Firmware
    If you want to try rolling back the firmware to an older version they are available here:

http://www.gawisp.com/perry/edge/

1. Download the Garmin Edge 520 firmware version gcd file that you want onto your computer
    2. Connect the Garmin via USB and copy the downloaded gcd file into the \Garmin folder.
    3. Rename the gcd file to GUPDATE.GCD
    4. Disconnect the Garmin from your computer, let it reboot and then it should update the software to the older version.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My Edge 510 frequently switches the display to the compass, and with the relatively unresponsive touch screen it often takes a few swipes to get it back to my preferred screen. Does anyone know why this happens and how to stop it? I really wish I didn't have a touch screen.

mtbr member
    My Edge 510 frequently switches the display to the compass, and with the relatively unresponsive touch screen it often takes a few swipes to get it back to my preferred screen. Does anyone know why this happens and how to stop it? I really wish I didn't have a touch screen.
    The easiest way would be to go to your profile and turn off any data screens that you don't use, so that you only have a few enabled at a time.

On a Garmin Edge 520 you would go Menu - Settings - Activity Profiles - Select Profile - Data Screens

I have 4 information screens and the map enabled, so that only those screens are visible and can be scrolled through.

The additional screens that I don't use (Compass, Elevation, Lap Summary, Virtual Partner, Cycling Dynamics and Light Network) are all turned off.

On a Garmin Edge 510, which doesn't use activity profiles, I think there's a separate data screen option in the settings menu where you choose which screens are enabled.

With some Garmins that have capacitive touchscreens (Edge 1000 and Edge 820) you can get ghost presses if rain or beads of sweat drop onto the screen whilst riding. It might be doing the same with your Garmin Edge 510, although that has a different type of touchscreen that shouldn't be affected as much.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The easiest way would be to go to your profile and turn off any data screens that you don't use, so that you only have a few enabled at a time.

On a Garmin Edge 520 you would go Menu - Settings - Activity Profiles - Select Profile - Data Screens

I have 4 information screens and the map enabled, so that only those screens are visible and can be scrolled through.

The additional screens that I don't use (Compass, Elevation, Lap Summary, Virtual Partner, Cycling Dynamics and Light Network) are all turned off.

On a Garmin Edge 510, which doesn't use activity profiles, I think there's a separate data screen option in the settings menu where you choose which screens are enabled.

With some Garmins that have capacitive touchscreens (Edge 1000 and Edge 820) you can get ghost presses if rain or beads of sweat drop onto the screen whilst riding. It might be doing the same with your Garmin Edge 510, although that has a different type of touchscreen that shouldn't be affected as much.
    Thanks. The 510 does have activity profiles and I just had a few screens enabled. Yesterday I deleted all rides and then changed the data screens to cycle and it didn't happen at all.

mtbr member
    Thanks. The 510 does have activity profiles and I just had a few screens enabled. Yesterday I deleted all rides and then changed the data screens to cycle and it didn't happen at all.
    It looks like the Edge 510 has activity profiles, and bike profiles.

https://youtu.be/KqS_b-ZmJkg?t=47

There is also the Auto Scroll setting (Menu - Settings - Activity Profiles - (your profile) - Auto Features - Auto Scroll) which will automatically switch between the screens every few seconds. I have that turned off but that would see your Garmin changing display all by itself if it is enabled.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm pretty much done with my 520. The in inaccuracies on segments, losing signal just sucks. My phone does a better job. I just don't like draining the battery. Would one of the 800 series be better at keeping a signal and accuracy or do you think it would be similar to the 520?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    It looks like the Edge 510 has activity profiles, and bike profiles.

https://youtu.be/KqS_b-ZmJkg?t=47

There is also the Auto Scroll setting (Menu - Settings - Activity Profiles - (your profile) - Auto Features - Auto Scroll) which will automatically switch between the screens every few seconds. I have that turned off but that would see your Garmin changing display all by itself if it is enabled.
    Auto scroll was disabled before, and I just enabled it so that if it switches to the compass then at least it will be for a shorter period of time. I kind of like it actually as I have one screen with a ton of info on it that I usually use all the time but the fields are small enough that they can be tough to read if they have sweat or dirt on them. Nice to have it switch to screens with bigger characters. I think I'll keep it this way and modify the fields to the way I want them better as I had only set up the other screens for one particular race and that's not what I want for daily riding. Thanks for your help.....this is way more helpful than ever looking at the manual online.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    I'm pretty much done with my 520. The in inaccuracies on segments, losing signal just sucks. My phone does a better job. I just don't like draining the battery. Would one of the 800 series be better at keeping a signal and accuracy or do you think it would be similar to the 520?

You may have a faulty unit because this is not normal... I had others garmins and can compare with my 520 now, it works fine, ask for RMA

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Klaser View Post
    You may have a faulty unit because this is not normal... I had others garmins and can compare with my 520 now, it works fine, ask for RMA
    Cool, thanks. I guess I'll try that. This is my second one because the first wouldn't charge.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    I have never experienced issues like you've described. Call Garmin Support. I have found these folks to be very easy to deal with and they have always corrected any problem that my 510 has experienced.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    While I don't love the touchscreen of the 510, I have always found it to be pretty accurate and I assume that the gps is pretty much the same as the 520. I generally found my smartphone to be good in accuracy as well, but I tired of the battery drain and of the conflicts that happened when I used the phone for photos, texting or....you know....as a phone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Has anyone got contacts to pop up with a Android 6 phone? When I upgraded my old phone (lg g3) it stopped, and with my S7 I still only get the phone numbers when calls come in, not the contact. I have unpaired and re-paired the BT recently and the app has permission to access the contacts. My friend has his note 5 still on 5.x and it works on his 520. I have the most recent firmware (7.2 I believe, it just updated).
    5010v3 @mikerides.mtb

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Are you on firmware 7.10? There seem to be some issues with that firmware and Garmin Connect syncing affecting files and settings. Eg:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread...ore-activities

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread...ter-every-sync

It sounds like you're encountering the same issue, although with a different file.
    Unit is running on 7.20 firmware now and it still overwrites gmapbmap.img (map) with blank file - every time i sync it after ride. And so i copy my gmapmap.img from computer to unit everytime after sync..i guess it is some lame method of forcing users to buy their maps..if not mere bug..anyhow, i got used to procedure..
    Thank you for your help WR304.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roots View Post
    Unit is running on 7.20 firmware now and it still overwrites gmapbmap.img (map) with blank file - every time i sync it after ride. And so i copy my gmapmap.img from computer to unit everytime after sync..i guess it is some lame method of forcing users to buy their maps..if not mere bug..anyhow, i got used to procedure..
    Thank you for your help WR304.
    It's got to be a bug. What you could try is the original basemap and see if that gets overwritten too.

The work around for this would be to connect your Garmin Edge 520 to the computer so that it shows as an external drive, without launching Garmin Express (Garmin Express - General Settings - untick the "Automatically Launch Garmin Express when a Garmin device box is connected"), copy off the .fit activity file for your ride and manually upload it to the Garmin website, Strava etc. That avoids using the faulty sync process.

It takes ages copying basemap files back onto the device so the manual upload will be a quicker method. It's what I do normally anyway. About the only time I use Garmin Connect is for firmware updates and creating workouts, apart from that I treat it as an external drive instead of syncing it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Guys,

Sorry if this was discussed already, but quick question. On the 520, do I need a phone with me to run the strava live segment? I am looking at replacing my fenix 2 with the edge 520, the main reason being the live strava segment. I dont like carrying a phone with me so was just curious. Thanks

mtbr member
    No. Once they're loaded on the 520 they work without a connection.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    It's got to be a bug. What you could try is the original basemap and see if that gets overwritten too.

The work around for this would be to connect your Garmin Edge 520 to the computer so that it shows as an external drive, without launching Garmin Express (Garmin Express - General Settings - untick the "Automatically Launch Garmin Express when a Garmin device box is connected"), copy off the .fit activity file for your ride and manually upload it to the Garmin website, Strava etc. That avoids using the faulty sync process.

It takes ages copying basemap files back onto the device so the manual upload will be a quicker method. It's what I do normally anyway. About the only time I use Garmin Connect is for firmware updates and creating workouts, apart from that I treat it as an external drive instead of syncing it.
    I have downloaded map you provided and you were right; it hasn't got overwritten at next sync..
    the strange part is, none of my maps are overwritten now at sync..
    all i did was putting in your map, turning off auto start of express at plugging in...and then turning on auto start (and allowing it to run in background).
    All of that, what seemed to be pointless feedling with original map (which i had on device when buying it) worked to the point where the problem got completely solved and so Mr WR304, you are very kind man and i thank you for all the effort you put in helping me(us)!
    Life is good :-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Howdy, all. I've searched the answer to this question but haven't found an answer. Does the Garmin 520 support third party HRM monitors? I have an ANT+ monitor from Timex and am unable to get it to sync.

Rent this space for $
    I am running a Wahoo Tickr HRM. It's Ant+ and works flawlessly with my 520. So...yes, it supports. As long as your Ant+ I believe you're good to go. I didn't know Timex did an Ant+ unit. I used one of their HRM's for a year or so and it was a proprietary system that time. I had to upgrade to a Tickr to get cross platform function.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelcossack View Post
    Howdy, all. I've searched the answer to this question but haven't found an answer. Does the Garmin 520 support third party HRM monitors? I have an ANT+ monitor from Timex and am unable to get it to sync.
    ANT+ is different from Bluetooth in this regard. If it's ANT+, it works. There are a couple exceptions to that with combined vs. separate sensors and the age of the head unit (it's basically an ANT+ version issue on the head unit), but generally speaking they will all work no problem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thanks Harold and Sack! I'll elaborate on what I have: it is a Timex HRM, marked "digital 2.4 transmission" in front, on back is marked "2.4 ghz" and the "Ant+" logo. I have had it for four or five years and has worked well with the "Ironman Triathlon" watch well in the time I've had it. The Garmin website has troubleshooting advice for their own branded HRM but not for a third party so far as I've found. For the sake of anyone trying to fix a similar issue in the future, I will post up the results of my solution when I get it.

since 4/10/2009
    Thanks Harold and Sack! I'll elaborate on what I have: it is a Timex HRM, marked "digital 2.4 transmission" in front, on back is marked "2.4 ghz" and the "Ant+" logo. I have had it for four or five years and has worked well with the "Ironman Triathlon" watch well in the time I've had it. The Garmin website has troubleshooting advice for their own branded HRM but not for a third party so far as I've found. For the sake of anyone trying to fix a similar issue in the future, I will post up the results of my solution when I get it.
    www.thisisant.com

mtbr member
    Anyone download software version 8.0? If so any problems?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Well, my solution was to simply buy a Garmin branded HRM. I needed the HRM feature on my ride today and didn't have time to futz with Garmin support. The unit would recognize that there was an ANT+ HRM near (the heart icon would blink onscreen) but I only got the Spinning Wheel of Eternity when I tried to pair it. That's as far as I got. Harrumph.

Edit: RS America: I did a full software update Friday and had no issues today. Unit performed well using the basic features including the aforementioned HRM.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Been using Garmin, Bontrager, Wahoo, Suunto, PowerTap HRM's with my 25, 810 and 920XT no problem.

mtbr member
    Well, my solution was to simply buy a Garmin branded HRM. I needed the HRM feature on my ride today and didn't have time to futz with Garmin support. The unit would recognize that there was an ANT+ HRM near (the heart icon would blink onscreen) but I only got the Spinning Wheel of Eternity when I tried to pair it. That's as far as I got. Harrumph.

Edit: RS America: I did a full software update Friday and had no issues today. Unit performed well using the basic features including the aforementioned HRM.
    Although in theory all ANT+ devices are compatible they don't always work together.

With the Garmin Edge 520 there was an issue with some versions of the Wahoo Tickr heart rate strap not working with it:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread...kr-HRM-problem

It's possible that your Timex heart rate strap falls into the same category of not compatible. If something like a particular model of heart rate strap doesn't work there's not much you can do really, as there usually aren't firmware updates available for heart rate straps (with some exceptions eg: Scosche).

Switching to a known model of heart rate strap that is definitely compatible, as you have, is the easiest fix.

mtbr member
    Never had an issue with the ticker syncing to the 520, the biggest ongoing problem I had was the chest bands from various manufacturers not lasting more than a few weeks. Garmin's was the worst for this, and I see they have redesigned it yet again. The Timex strap I had lasted by far the longest of the 4 brands I've tried.

However, I did notice that the more stuff I had sending BT signals (which on the Ticker cannot be turned off), the bigger the chance that my 520 would lose the link to my phone. I never was able to conclusively prove that the Ticker BT noise was the cause, but it remains a suspect.

mtbr member
    My Garmin Edge 520 has mostly worked ok without any serious issues. In the last couple of weeks it's had two worrying episodes.

On one ride I was following a course. After about an hour of riding I reached a junction with a cue point and the Garmin shut down. It turned off all by itself and then rebooted itself. I hadn't touched any buttons on it. There was an error log entry that seemed to be about a missing icon for the cue point.

It then worked ok for about a week.

On Thursday however I was out for a ride. It's winter here so it was three hours in 3c /37f temperatures with rain and mud all over the Garmin. During the ride no problems and 60% plus battery remaining at the end.

When I got home I saved the ride, turned the Garmin off, had a shower, cycling kit in the washing machine, cleaned my bike, had something to eat etc and then an hour or so post ride sat down to have a look at the ride file on the computer.

The Garmin wouldn't turn on. It was just dead with no response pressing the power button. Holding down the Lap button whilst connecting it via USB (to force mass storage mode) did nothing. There was no response at all.

What eventually brought it back to life was this.

To perform a master reset:
    1.Power device off
    2.Press and hold Lap and Start/Stop
    3.Power device on while still holding both buttons
    4.Continue holding buttons when Garmin "splash" screen appears
    5.Release buttons when Garmin "splash" screen disappears

I held the power, Lap and Start/Stop buttons down together, for a good 10 seconds or so, and then there was a line across the screen and it started booting up! I released the buttons when the Garmin screen appeared (as I didn't want to lose any data or reset it) and it turned on so I could get the ride file off.

That's got me worried though, as to whether it was a temporary glitch or if this Garmin is on the way out.

mtbr member
    Just got a 520 after 6 years with my flawless 500.

I've only had a couple rides but really like it so far. The wireless syncing is AMAZING, I've found a couple of Connect IQ apps I really like and I also really like being able to see who's calling -- and whether or not I actually need to stop and get my phone out of my pack and call back ie. wife

I haven't been able to get the text feature to work, even though it has text enabled. It's not make or break -- the phone feature is much more important to me -- but if there is a way to get it to work I wouldn't mind having it. Any help there would be appreciated.

When I first got the 520 I immediately updated to version 8.0. This morning I got a notification a new update was available -- I believe it was 9.1

I did it but haven't tried it yet; hopefully a ride later today. I was impressed it could update wirelessly, as opposed to being wired to a laptop. I had assumed software updates would require a wired connection (that's how I did version 8).

PS

WR304: Your advice on this thread is beyond helpful. I've been reading along for a few months

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I've noticed with my 520 that the calories burned count is drastically different in the garmin, vs how it displays in Strava once the ride imports. For example today I did a 16mi ride, and on the Garmin it said over 2300 cal burned. When I import the ride into Strava it's less than half.

Now I don't expect either to be 100% accurate, as I don't have a power meter, so it can only estimate date based upon factors like speed, distance, time, and heartrate, but I wasn't expecting such a huge difference.

Anyone else experience this? Should I just go with the more conservative estimate from Strava, (though sub 1300 cal seems low for a 2hr 45min ride)?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I've noticed with my 520 that the calories burned count is drastically different in the garmin, vs how it displays in Strava once the ride imports. For example today I did a 16mi ride, and on the Garmin it said over 2300 cal burned. When I import the ride into Strava it's less than half.

Now I don't expect either to be 100% accurate, as I don't have a power meter, so it can only estimate date based upon factors like speed, distance, time, and heartrate, but I wasn't expecting such a huge difference.

Anyone else experience this? Should I just go with the more conservative estimate from Strava, (though sub 1300 cal seems low for a 2hr 45min ride)?
    Yes everyone experiences this. Garmin and Strava calculate calories differently so they will always be different. And both will tell you that the way they calculate calories is correct. I use Garmins calories, seems more accurate to me.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Nashbar Carbon Road

since 4/10/2009
    I don't pay attention to the calorie computation. They are worse than inaccurate. Measuring calories burned during exercise is more inaccurate and less consistent than measuring elevation change.

Magically Delicious
    I have monitored my caloric burn rates on both Garmin Connect and Strava and the two incorporate slightly different algorithms. From the best that I have been able to determine is that none of the used algorithms use elevation or climb gradients, bike weight or your size. Your overall total weight is in the equation. The predominate factor in addition to weight is your heart rate. If your heart rate is not included in the equation, then the output or caloric burn is just an estimated linear guess.

Additionally, I have noted that in my personal case, Strava places a predominate emphasis on the duration than does Garmin Connect. That meaning that for me, Strava indicates a greater calorie burn for the same ride than Garmin Connect does. In fact, I have no clue what my actual calorie burn is.

The below formula (algorithm) has multiple variables that can be tweeked to satisfy your expectations.

Calories Burned = [ (age in years x 0.2017) + (weight in lbs. x 0.0904)+ (heart rate x 0.6309) - 55.0969] x duration in minutes / 6.5

This formula seems to be in the ballpark for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    I have monitored my caloric burn rates on both Garmin Connect and Strava and the two incorporate slightly different algorithms. From the best that I have been able to determine is that none of the used algorithms use elevation or climb gradients, bike weight or your size. Your overall total weight is in the equation. The predominate factor in addition to weight is your heart rate. If your heart rate is not included in the equation, then the output or caloric burn is just an estimated linear guess.

Additionally, I have noted that in my personal case, Strava places a predominate emphasis on the duration than does Garmin Connect. That meaning that for me, Strava indicates a greater calorie burn for the same ride than Garmin Connect does. In fact, I have no clue what my actual calorie burn is.

The below formula (algorithm) has multiple variables that can be tweeked to satisfy your expectations.

Calories Burned = [ (age in years x 0.2017) + (weight in lbs. x 0.0904)+ (heart rate x 0.6309) - 55.0969] x duration in minutes / 6.5

This formula seems to be in the ballpark for me.
    Interesting.

When I look at the ride in Garmin Connect it says 2,561 cal and Strava says 1,058.

I wrote a quick python script to allow me to plug in variables into your formula.

age = int(40)
    weight = float(183) # Should this be naked weight or kitted up?
    heartRate = float(155) # avg heart rate taken from garmin connect, should this be max?
    duration = float(133) # duration of the ride in minutes
    caloriesBurned = ((age * 0.2017) + (weight * 0.0904) + (heartRate * 0.6309) - 55.0969) * duration / 6.5

print("Formula value for calories burned is {:,.2f}".format(caloriesBurned) )

Which gives me "Formula value for calories burned is 1,377.14"

So assuming I entered appropriate numbers for weight and hr Strava seems the closest to accurate, and Garmin is way over-estimating how many calories I burned.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Anyone tried using the Edge 520 with a Virb Ultra 30? Just wondering what sort of camera control you would have, compared to the app on Apple or Android devices.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast