Apr 2005

Garmin 1030 suitable for MTB ?

is Garmin 1030 good for MTB
    can trailforks maps be import into it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    is Garmin 1030 good for MTB
    can trailforks maps be import into it?
    The Trailforks app is on the Connect IQ store and shows it is compatible with the 1030 and the 1030 Plus. I would absolutely use a 1030 on my MTB if I had one. On Trailforks webpage, just hit the "save" button and it will give you a pop-up which has a "Save to Garmin" choice.
    The member formerly known as Redtires....

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Yes, a 1030 is perfect especially if you desire to use a map to navigate and/or just verify position. As Joe indicated, you can get a free app for the device that gives you and easy download of a route you create online at the TrailForks site.

If you donít need the larger size, the 830 is cheaper, but search for a deal on the plain 1030 as they have been discounted to as low as $430 or so, since the introduction of the 1030 Plus.

Sneaker man
    Yep, I used to use an edge 1000, so similar size but with older spec's and it was great.
    A lot of people will prefer a smaller size computer for MTBing, which is a fair point. I replaced my 1000 with an 830 and it has been great, but I still prefer a bigger screen (road riding as well as mtb) so i picked up a 1030 on sale this week, so we will see how it goes.

If mapping is a big deal for you, then a 1030 will be great, if not then soemthing else maybe cheaper and smaller on the bars...or if you just plain want a bigger screen (me) then 1030 all the way.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Yeah. With the way I use Garmins, I'm happy with 830 screen size and feel the larger Edge units are bigger than I want on my bars, especially on the mtb. They way I use them is following previously laid out courses. These are ones I've laid out on my computer using RWGPS or other similar sites along with other trail info resources, or I've downloaded from on-line sites. The smaller size works great for this. If you plan on looking at the map on the device while riding to make real-time route decisions, a bigger display is very helpful rather than trying to zoom in/out and pan on a tiny screen. However, at that point, whipping out the cell phone might be the best option...using an app with downloaded maps so you're not reliant on cell data. One thing I don't do is plug in a destination and have the Edge work out the course. That's a little too adventurous for me as I like to have more control over the route.
    What, me worry?

Sneaker man
    Well I have had a coupel of rides now with the 1030, and I think it is great. I admit it is probably way too big for most people on the mtb, but for me i much prefer it over the 830. I'd say an 830 is all anyone could ever need usually, or just a 530 (I hated my 530 though). The large screen is great. It does look pretty big on the bik, the 830 was more athetically pleasing sittting on my out front mount, but I'll take the extra screen size for myself.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    Well I have had a coupel of rides now with the 1030, and I think it is great. I admit it is probably way too big for most people on the mtb, but for me i much prefer it over the 830. I'd say an 830 is all anyone could ever need usually, or just a 530 (I hated my 530 though). The large screen is great. It does look pretty big on the bik, the 830 was more athetically pleasing sittting on my out front mount, but I'll take the extra screen size for myself.
    On my mt. bike I turn around my out-front mount so that the device sits over the stem. In theory (never tested) it keeps the unit maybe out of the way in case of a crash. I also do not make the mount super tight, I want some give to it as better to sacrifice the mount as opposed to the tabs on the unit.

Sneaker man
    Oh i have a k-edge that mounts lights and stuff, so out front is where I use it (well on a couple of bikes, the others have regular garmin out front or rubber band mounts, I'm happy with it out front, but thats just me)