Garmin 1030 Plus on rough terrain- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2019

Garmin 1030 Plus on rough terrain

I am looking at the Garmin 1030 Plus to map and navigate endless logging roads in my area, as well as for local Trailforks trails. The logging roads are generally relatively smooth, but can also be pretty rough and jarring at times.

Can anyone comment on how well the Garmin handle bar mount securely holds a 1030 on rough terrain? I will tether the device, but if the 1030 is likely to dislodge itself from the mount on occasional jarring stretches of logging roads, then I may consider the smaller 830 instead. However, I would prefer the larger 1030 screen for navigation, as my eyes are no longer young.

since 4/10/2009
    You have to figure that the point of contact for all Garmin devices is kinda small on the mount. They've been using the same circular mount for a long time. The bigger/heavier the device, the more it's going to wobble on that limited mount.

When it comes to completely dislodging, I've never heard someone complain about losing a computer from one of these mounts from riding rough terrain. Losing the computer completely seems to be a bigger problem from hitting the computer (with a knee, or some other part of your body) or from crashing. The more real estate your stuff occupies, the more likely it is to be hit in one of these scenarios. This is why there are so many aftermarket mounts available, so people can put the computer in a precise spot that works best for them.

Me, I don't like the larger computers. I find the size of the 520/530/830 works well for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Been using the 1000 and now a 1030 for a few years, extensively on single track that contains many ruts, roots, logs, etc.., with many crashes. Never had an issues. I turn the out front mount 180 degrees so it sits over the stem. I also use the tether that Garmin provides to make sure it stays with the bike in the event the mount breaks.

Sneaker man
    Yeah, I have been using a 1000 for like 5 years and now a 1030 for a few weeks, never had an issue. Sure I don't ride the roughest stuff out there, but they have been through a lot, lots of racing and general riding. Never had an issues (probably will tomorrow now I've said that!)
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Thanks for all the very helpful responses. I just ordered one, as the screen size should make navigation easier.

Sneaker man
    yeah, dont use the mapping much (I know where i'm going most of gthe time, but going from a 1000 to an 830, the smaller size was no good for me, both the fields and the mapping when I do use, hence moving back to the bigger sized 1030, my eye sight isnt as good as it was, much prefer the bigger screen.
    All the gear and no idea.