mtbr member

Edge 520 Plus and Trailforks

Hi,
    So I know itís still new but hoping someone can answer this.. is it possible to follow a trail on the trailforks app and record the ride as well?

Cheers
    #bleedblackdieevil

mtbr member
    May 2015
    If it works the same as 820 and 1030, then yep, just download the trailforks maps, and you're good to go.

since 4/10/2009
    I think I see where this question is coming from. Let me guess, you're used to using phone apps, and most of the map/nav apps available for bike trails don't actually record, as well, correct?

Garmins operate differently. On fitness models like Edges, they don't really do anything until you start the timer (and therefore, record your ride). Recording your ride is the most basic function that they do. They can do other stuff WHILE recording your ride, too, like navigating, showing maps, and other such like that. Whereas on a phone, you'd have to run at least two different apps if you'd want to navigate on Trailforks AND record on Strava. And some phones don't make that very practical.

So yeah, on a Garmin Edge, you absolutely CAN record your ride AND navigate at the same time (doesn't matter if it's a built-in function or from a ConnectIQ app). It's what these things are built to do.

Formerly of Kent
    You start the timer, then hit the back button to get to whatever function you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Actually Iíve got a Fenix 5 that I currently use so well aware of the Garmin system. Just never used the Edge series.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #bleedblackdieevil

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Returning my 520 plus that I bought less than a month ago. As soon as I got up to NC on my trip last week, the thing stopped working and gave me an error every time I tried to load a route, making it pretty useless.

Whiskey Alpha
    Mar 2018
    Heavily suggest you look into the Wahoo Bolt.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I had one and returned it. It would constantly beep at me while following an MTB route, saying I was off course even though I wasn't.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    I had one and returned it. It would constantly beep at me while following an MTB route, saying I was off course even though I wasn't.
    This is what happens when trying to follow mtb routes on any dedicated gps. I have no experience attempting to use similar functionality with any phone apps.

What is essentially going on is that the tolerance for being "off track" is too tight. That tolerance works fine on road, but dirt trails are not mapped as accurately, and for that matter, are not fixed so firmly upon the ground - the actual location migrates over time.

It would be nice to be able to adjust that tolerance, as I am sure that a tight tolerance is useful at times, also. But for mtb, it reduces the usability of the function.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I agree with you. The Elemnt Bolt worked perfectly, aside from the annoying beeping. I don't even mind the thing thinking I'm off course and flashing orange lights or whatever, but when I'm going 30+mph downhill trying to pick lines, I don't want the distraction of anything beeping at me. And from what I understood, there's no way to disable it on that unit.

since 4/10/2009
    Garmin at least allows you to turn the off course beep off.
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    I agree with you. The Elemnt Bolt worked perfectly, aside from the annoying beeping. I don't even mind the thing thinking I'm off course and flashing orange lights or whatever, but when I'm going 30+mph downhill trying to pick lines, I don't want the distraction of anything beeping at me. And from what I understood, there's no way to disable it on that unit.

mtbr member
    Hi guys. I'm also interested in the 520 to use with the TrailForks app. I'm trying to figure out if I can get away with the 520 (cheaper!) or if I need the "Plus". I'm hoping you guys can clarify a few things for me.

What I am looking/hoping for:

Download a Trailforks map to the 520, then use it to navigate an unknown trail. I'm hoping the navigation will be 'turn-by-turn' for most part, by displaying a card on the screen or beeping. Will the 520 do that when used with the Trailforks app? Or do I need the Plus? Or is that not how it works at all?

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I have a 520 and just downloaded the map for California. The 520 doesnít seem to have enough space to load it. I heard the 520 Plus has more memory. If so how much memory does the plus come with.

Quote Originally Posted by bryanus View Post
    Hi guys. I'm also interested in the 520 to use with the TrailForks app. I'm trying to figure out if I can get away with the 520 (cheaper!) or if I need the "Plus". I'm hoping you guys can clarify a few things for me.

What I am looking/hoping for:

Download a Trailforks map to the 520, then use it to navigate an unknown trail. I'm hoping the navigation will be 'turn-by-turn' for most part, by displaying a card on the screen or beeping. Will the 520 do that when used with the Trailforks app? Or do I need the Plus? Or is that not how it works at all?

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk View Post
    I heard the 520 Plus has more memory. If so how much memory does the plus come with.
    www.garmin.com

mtbr member
    Have you tried finding it on the website?

Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post

since 4/10/2009
    Have you tried finding it on the website?
    I did awhile back, and I swear it used to be there.

At any rate, a Google search for the subject turned up a dcrainmaker post (of course it did) and there are a few tidbits down in the comments.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/04/...h-mapping.html

One person was able to load a good chunk of central and northern CA OSM maps onto the 520 plus. One person's device had 11Gb of free space and he could not load additional Garmin maps for Europe and is getting insufficient memory warnings. And a WHOLE LOT OF QUESTIONS from people simply asking how much free space the device has (with no solid answers - just that there's "a lot").

At any rate, what California map are you using, and what process are you using to try to load it onto your regular 520?

A few things - you have to delete the existing basemap file. I saved mine to my computer for backup purposes. It's 49,808kb. I have maps on my device that I've obtained from GPSFileDepot.com (topos layered with some trails) and my map files cover regions MUCH smaller than the entire state of CA (currently I have western NC loaded) and range in size from 74,000kb (my western NC file) to 9,000kb depending on how large of an area it is and how much data is in the file (trails, roads, contours, ect).

mtbr member
    I am trying to load the California map you purchase with Karma points from trail forks. I read a bunch of step by steps on clearing out as much storage as possible. I donít remember the size but unfortunately the Trailforks map is just a little to big. No big deal, I will go back to open street maps and gpx files for trails.

My 520 works great so I donít think I will screw around with it anymore. Kind of funny, memory is so cheap now I cannot believe Garmin canít go up to 2GB on the 520.

since 4/10/2009
    memory is so cheap now I cannot believe Garmin canít go up to 2GB on the 520.
    Honestly, that is all I want additionally from my 520.

mtbr member
    A bit off-topic, but I think it's a choice, made by Garmin marketing.
    I had an Etrex 10.Loved it.
    It has a clear B/W display is very accurate, Low power consumption etc.
    And you can install maps on it, just as you can on the 520.
    Unfortunately, Garmin choose to build in only a minimal amount of memory, so you end up with only 8 MB free space (after deleting some items)
    The processor and chipset used can address several GB's of memory.
    But if they would have done that, no one would have bought an Etrex 20 or 30...

Anyone ever opened up a normal 520 ?
    Chances are, there is an open space on the circuit board whre you can place extra smd-memory...
    Last edited by thasingletrackmastah; 09-17-2018 at 09:10 AM.
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thasingletrackmastah View Post
    A bit off-topic, but I think it's a choice, made by Garmin marketing.
    I had an Etrex 10.Loved it.
    It has a clear B/W display is very accurate, Low power consumption etc.
    And you can install maps on it, just as you can on the 520.
    Unfortunately, Garmin choose to build in only a minimal amount of memory, so you end up with only 8 MB free space (after deleting some items)
    The processor and chipset used can address several GB's of memory.
    But if they would have done that, no one would have bought an Etrex 20 or 30...

Anyone ever opened up a normal 520 ?
    Chances are, there is an open space on the circuit board whre you can place extra smd-memory...
    Handhelds do work pretty well in general for mtb, also. I used an Oregon 450 for years (which has more than enough memory for maps). The size of the device got irritating (kept bumping it with my knees), and the touchscreen (which I really like for hiking) became an issue. Also, when it comes to track recording, I didn't like that I had to splice together bits of track to cover a whole ride. Tracklog was limited to 10,000pts, and you fill that up fast on 1sec recording. The device would auto-archive things in 2,000 point files, that I'd then have to splice back together. Additionally, once a chunk got auto-archived, it was no longer visible on the screen, so it became difficult to impossible to tell when I closed a big loop, or otherwise see on the device where I'd previously been. As such, I had to mark a waypoint where I parked, otherwise I was unlikely to see where that was.

As for your question about opening up a 520 to check the feasibility of adding memory yourself, I wouldn't really know what I was doing in that regard. I don't know squat about circuit boards/electronics. I'd be curious, however, if a technician could do it, say, at the same time you replace the internal battery.

mtbr member
    I ended up getting a 520 Plus and tried it out with the Trailforks app on a recent ride to Anadel in Santa Rosa.

This was my first time using a Garmin and I did find it a little confusing to use. In fact I am still playing around with the settings and all of the features.

Getting the Trailforks app onto it was pretty easy. But unfortunately, I found that the navigation part wasn't exactly what i was hoping for. While the 520+ will alert you of upcoming changes in direction, it's difficult to look at the map [safely] while you are riding and trying to go as fast as possible. I often found myself off course, at which point the 520 beeps constantly and trying to find your way back on course is also difficult on the tiny screen. In a couple spots, I had to take out my phone and load up the Trailforks app there in order to figure out where I was and needed to go, as the Trailforks phone app is much larger and more detailed/zoomable.

Coming from a non-GPS cateye strada cyclcomputer, I do like all of the data that the Garmin pulls in. But what I don't like is the physical size of the device when compared to the [diminutive] cateye it replaced. I picked up a k-edge gravity stem cap mount for it, which is very stable, but the device looks pretty massive and out of place on my bike. I also don't like (or am not yet very familiar with) the process of starting and stopping each ride, saving it, etc. With the Cateye, you just turn it on and start riding and it stops when you stop. With the Edge, you need to tap a button to start the ride, tap it again to pause/stop, then another button to save it. There are some auto-start/stop features, but they only kick in at 6mph, which I am often below, especially when climbing.

To be honest, I am having a difficult time justifying the purchase. I don't do Strava, so all of the information I really like to have is my ride time, odo, and speeds (current, max). My cateye does all of those and in a much smaller package. I was initially drawn to the Edge for the trailforks app to use on unknown trails, but my first experience so far has been a letdown. Hopefully I'll have another chance to use that feature and find its worth soon.

Also, FWIW, I did pull in a map update the other night and the download was 3.5GBs, so maybe the 520 Plus does have the room for such an update.

since 4/10/2009
    Think of Garmin fitness computers like a stopwatch on steroids. Start/stop/pause functions. Fitness phone apps wprk the same way. Honestly there is no need for pausing on a ride. Any software can figure out when you are paused later.

As for how the navigation works, that is how it goes trying to use one to navigate a mtb trail. There are ways to make it marginally better, but no app will do all the work for you.

Navigating on a mtb trail system is going to take some work on your part no matter what.

I have played with nav capabilities on various devices and find that they are all lacking. I will use maps on devices for quick reference, but my primary tool is my brain. And I try to always carry a good paper map.
    I ended up getting a 520 Plus and tried it out with the Trailforks app on a recent ride to Anadel in Santa Rosa.

This was my first time using a Garmin and I did find it a little confusing to use. In fact I am still playing around with the settings and all of the features.

Getting the Trailforks app onto it was pretty easy. But unfortunately, I found that the navigation part wasn't exactly what i was hoping for. While the 520+ will alert you of upcoming changes in direction, it's difficult to look at the map [safely] while you are riding and trying to go as fast as possible. I often found myself off course, at which point the 520 beeps constantly and trying to find your way back on course is also difficult on the tiny screen. In a couple spots, I had to take out my phone and load up the Trailforks app there in order to figure out where I was and needed to go, as the Trailforks phone app is much larger and more detailed/zoomable.

Coming from a non-GPS cateye strada cyclcomputer, I do like all of the data that the Garmin pulls in. But what I don't like is the physical size of the device when compared to the [diminutive] cateye it replaced. I picked up a k-edge gravity stem cap mount for it, which is very stable, but the device looks pretty massive and out of place on my bike. I also don't like (or am not yet very familiar with) the process of starting and stopping each ride, saving it, etc. With the Cateye, you just turn it on and start riding and it stops when you stop. With the Edge, you need to tap a button to start the ride, tap it again to pause/stop, then another button to save it. There are some auto-start/stop features, but they only kick in at 6mph, which I am often below, especially when climbing.

To be honest, I am having a difficult time justifying the purchase. I don't do Strava, so all of the information I really like to have is my ride time, odo, and speeds (current, max). My cateye does all of those and in a much smaller package. I was initially drawn to the Edge for the trailforks app to use on unknown trails, but my first experience so far has been a letdown. Hopefully I'll have another chance to use that feature and find its worth soon.

Also, FWIW, I did pull in a map update the other night and the download was 3.5GBs, so maybe the 520 Plus does have the room for such an update.

mtbr member

I currently use a 520 and have loaded road routes into it but never mt bike ones, was looking to possibly getting a 520+ in the future just for when I get into trail systems I don't get into too often.
    Don't even care much about loading a route, I can just write the trails I'd like to do on a paper taped onto the top-tube, but it'd be nice to have verification that I'm on the right trail when the trailhead has 3 options but TF is showing only 2 and I have to stop and whip out my phone I keep in my Camelbak. Maybe a handlebar-mounted phone holder would suit me better but I prefer it being a little more protected.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    I currently use a 520 and have loaded road routes into it but never mt bike ones, was looking to possibly getting a 520+ in the future just for when I get into trail systems I don't get into too often.
    Don't even care much about loading a route, I can just write the trails I'd like to do on a paper taped onto the top-tube, but it'd be nice to have verification that I'm on the right trail when the trailhead has 3 options but TF is showing only 2 and I have to stop and whip out my phone I keep in my Camelbak. Maybe a handlebar-mounted phone holder would suit me better but I prefer it being a little more protected.
    The thing with digital trail mapping is that it's all inconsistent. Sometimes Trailforks has better data. Sometimes MTBProject has better data. Sometimes neither has good data for a particular system.

IMO, the 520+ is such a small incremental change from the 520 that I wouldn't both replacing a regular 520 with the +.

When I'm at an unfamiliar trail system, I use whatever mapping works to navigate. Sometimes that means an app on my phone. Sometimes that means an actual paper map that I purchase and carry. Sometimes it means a shitty printout from a shop. Sometimes it means there are no maps of the trail system yet and I am relying on my tracklog and references from the terrain and the topo basemap on my regular 520.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    The thing with digital trail mapping is that it's all inconsistent. Sometimes Trailforks has better data. Sometimes MTBProject has better data. Sometimes neither has good data for a particular system.

IMO, the 520+ is such a small incremental change from the 520 that I wouldn't both replacing a regular 520 with the +.

When I'm at an unfamiliar trail system, I use whatever mapping works to navigate. Sometimes that means an app on my phone. Sometimes that means an actual paper map that I purchase and carry. Sometimes it means a shitty printout from a shop. Sometimes it means there are no maps of the trail system yet and I am relying on my tracklog and references from the terrain and the topo basemap on my regular 520.
    I agree with @Harold. The 520+ has some additional basemaps, but I think that is more targeted at road bikers. Did you know the 520 can actually load the Trailforks app, too? If you have Trailforks on it, you pretty much have a 520+. Give that a shot first.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    This is what happens when trying to follow mtb routes on any dedicated gps. I have no experience attempting to use similar functionality with any phone apps.

What is essentially going on is that the tolerance for being "off track" is too tight. That tolerance works fine on road, but dirt trails are not mapped as accurately, and for that matter, are not fixed so firmly upon the ground - the actual location migrates over time.

It would be nice to be able to adjust that tolerance, as I am sure that a tight tolerance is useful at times, also. But for mtb, it reduces the usability of the function.

Iíve found following segments created by phones on strata beep a lot more on my 520 as opposed to garmin tracks I made myself fwiw.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I agree with @Harold. The 520+ has some additional basemaps, but I think that is more targeted at road bikers. Did you know the 520 can actually load the Trailforks app, too? If you have Trailforks on it, you pretty much have a 520+. Give that a shot first.
    Got a link on how to do that ppppplease?

since 4/10/2009
    Garmin Connect phone app. You will probably need to delete the preinstalled basemap on the 520 to make room for maps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Back2MTB View Post

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Back2MTB View Post
    Check out this article announcing the Trailforks/Garmin app:

https://www.trailforks.com/blog/view...-edge-devices/

Basically, once you install the app on the 520, you would use the Trailforks website to create/save routes that you want to sync to your Edge. Then, on your Edge you launch Trailforks app, it will connect to your phone, and then sync the routes to your Edge where you can then select and start navigating.

I'm looking forward to hearing your experience on navigating! lol. Good luck!