mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Edge 205 in Camelback

Hi,

Does anyone put their Edge inside their Camelback as opposed to mounting it on the bike? Im just wondering if it would still get reception in there. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

flatlander in paradise
    I don't use an Edge, but I do put my gps inside my pack and let it do it's trip computer and tracks thing. Works fine.

Birthday Collector
    I have an Edge 305 and carry it in the mesh section of my Mule on one of my bikes (mount broke) and it seems to work fine. No need to get another mount, at least. I think as long as you don't have it "buried" in the pack, under a lot of things or near a metal pump or something that might interfere with electronic signals you should be fine.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for the info, guys. I appreciate it

banned
    Sep 2007
    Try it on a test run and find out.

My other ride is your mom
    I pulled my Edge 705 for some BC skiing duty two weeks ago. I had the same concern that others have: Would it track when covered up and not in view of a lot of the sky?

The only place I could put it and think that it would get reception was in my chest pocket of my Marmot softshell jacket. Line of sight wise, it was completely inside the pocket all day, completely covered up. Other than the sofshell fabric, it also was denied "full view" of the sky since the signal would have to penetrate my body and pack (not sure if this would be an issue)...so it had roughly 180 degrees of view of the sky...inside my chest pocket, covered up by the Marmot soft-shell fabric.

I'm happy to report that it tracked wonderfully the entire day. I took it out a few times to verify altitude and that it was working; but now have proved that you can place it in a pocket and it will work. I did take care to ensure that the antenna was aimed up inside my pocket rather than down inside my pocket....guessing that this might make a difference.

Members who have read this thread: 0