Downloadable trail maps- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Downloadable trail maps

I'm looking for places I can download trail maps in GPX files to put on to my garmin. I have been trying to get a state map from Trailforks but I don't know if thats going to happen. There seems to be a problem with them processing my payment for a map. I don't want to turn this in to a post about that. I want to give them time to fix what ever is going on.
    What I want to ask about is places you guys are finding maps. I have been googling for 2 weeks now and just can't find anything available for the trails in my area central PA. All the trail systems in this area are on trailforks and I use the app on my phone or a paper map to find my way around right now. I want to put a trail map for this area on my Garmin explore so I don't have to keep stopping to get my phone or a map out of my pack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Try open street map. Coverage is variable based on user input but I have found it to be pretty comprehensive in NH. Haven't tried downloading as a gpx but I believe it is possible.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by IDwoodchuck View Post
    Try open street map. Coverage is variable based on user input but I have found it to be pretty comprehensive in NH. Haven't tried downloading as a gpx but I believe it is possible.
    Based on previous discussions with the OP, he's not looking for .gpx maps.

He's looking for BASEMAPS. In Garmin parlance (which is what he has, and it's relevant), he needs .img files (formatted for Garmin basemaps, not .img files for other purposes).

Your suggestion for OSM maps is good, though. But getting them as .img format requires extra steps.

I have used this site in the past, but as of the moment I'm posting this, it appears they're having server problems.
    Free worldwide Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap

mtbr member
    Thanks guys Yea I guess i need basemaps. I finally got the PA state map from trail forks and I used it on my garmin today. It worked really well all the trails in the systems I ride were there the tracks were mostly good. And the dirt roads that connect some of the trails are there now too. Before some of the trails were on the garmin basemap but the dirt roads were not.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    Thanks guys Yea I guess i need basemaps. I finally got the PA state map from trail forks and I used it on my garmin today. It worked really well all the trails in the systems I ride were there the tracks were mostly good. And the dirt roads that connect some of the trails are there now too. Before some of the trails were on the garmin basemap but the dirt roads were not.
    You will find over time that no single resource is perfect everywhere.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    You will find over time that no single resource is perfect everywhere.
    Yes I know but being new to the area I have found what I want. I would have to do some looking when I go other places.