Cadence sensor- Mtbr.com

Thread: Cadence sensor

mtbr member

Cadence sensor

I'd like to record cadence data, probably just for a few rides to see what the data tells me. Maybe it will just make me laugh. Needless to say, I plan to put minimal financial investment in this experiment.

I track my rides with a Fitbit Surge and I don't think a cadence sensor exists that will pair with it. I always carry my Samsung smartphone when I ride, so something that pairs with it might work. Otherwise, something more analog like an older cyclocomputer that tracks cadence might work. Any other options?

mtbr member
    If ultra-low-budget is the goal, aliexpress has no-magnet cadence sensors that look like a little black disk that sticks on the inside of the crankarm for about $10USD shipped. They might be on amazon for a bit more $. Dual-mode ANT and BTLE.

I've had one on my winter commuting bike since October, which means it gets a daily brine bath or 0F temperatures, and I'm impressed enough just ordered two more for the rest of the stable.

However the caution is that I've only used them in ANT mode with my Garmin, so I have no idea how well they work in BTLE mode with a phone.

There were also "XOSS" branded units that were a few more $, which I did successfully use in BTLE with the Strava app on my phone until I got my new Garmin.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Many Samsung phones receive ANT+. My older ones did but I haven't tried my S8. At the time I used the Endomondo app to record ANT+ speed and cadence sensors.

I find cadence data useful on the road and for training, but on my typical mtb rides my cadence is all over the place due the rapid variation in terrain and not of too much value. There certainly can be mtb situations where cadence could be a useful training aid.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Noted. I have a Galaxy S8 so most modern stuff should work with that.

I ride singlespeed, so my interest is more in the wild variations that my cadence will take during a ride. I am not "training" for anything more than more riding, so the data might only be worth a chuckle. $10-15 worth of chuckling sounds good to me with the generic sensor mentioned above.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Noted. I have a Galaxy S8 so most modern stuff should work with that.

I ride singlespeed, so my interest is more in the wild variations that my cadence will take during a ride. I am not "training" for anything more than more riding, so the data might only be worth a chuckle. $10-15 worth of chuckling sounds good to me with the generic sensor mentioned above.
    yeah, get the dual frequency sensor. That way the sensor is flexible with just about any head unit you might ever want to use. And hey, maybe you'll use the sensor, and based on the data, you might decide to fiddle with your gearing. Crazier things have happened.

mtbr member
    Personally, I use cadence as a digital badge-of-honour that I did, in fact, make it up the climb without walking... even if the speed profile drops low enough to suggest otherwise.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    If you're single speed, cadence is going to be a fixed proportion to speed when not freewheeling. Easy enough to figure out from gear ratio and wheel circumference.
    What, me worry?