Bryton 310- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bryton 310

mtbr member

Bryton 310

Anyone use this computer? I bought it but the instructions suck.
    Looking for any tips setting up. I have the heart rate strap and the cadence sensor.
    I have downloaded the Bryton active app.
    EXODUX Jeff

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    I got it with no extras but only used it a handful of times as backup for my phone. I don't rememeber setting much up other than turn it on and play with the menus to choose metric/imperial/etc. IIRC, Harold messed around with one for a while. (is there no way to tag a user on here?)
    :nono: :thumbsup:

since 4/10/2009
    yeah, I own one. I messed around with it years ago, and encountered a few bugs that the manufacturer still hasn't fixed.

For one, it would record a number of points with duplicate time stamps. Some websites error out on data with this problem and you have to manually fix them. Strava pretty much scraps your data and recalculates a bunch of stuff, which probably won't result in accurate speeds or distances. I also had problems with it paired to a Garmin magnetless wheel sensor. For some reason, RideWithGPS would report distances 3x the actual distance ridden with this combination. Bryton actually gave me a free one, so I was communicating these bugs with them as my understanding of what I was supposed to do. In the middle of those conversations, they suddenly stopped responding to me.

A few of the menu options are terribly organized, too. It uses an older method of keeping track of your data by assigning "bike profiles" where each bike profile is matched to whatever sensors it might have. If you move the computer to another bike with different sensors, then you need to switch profiles. That option is buried under a few menu layers and makes it exceedingly irritating to switch bikes.

Because of this, I advise people to avoid them like the plague. I periodically check up to see if they've fixed the bugs I had. Nope. I don't anticipate they'll be releasing much of anything new for that device because they've got several newer devices out.

I've had much better results with the plain jane Garmin Edge 520. More intuitive menus. No weird data errors. Garmin has better CS. I got a crash replacement for my Edge 520 about a year ago and Garmin handled it quickly and about as painlessly as they could have.

mtbr member
    Thanks Harold for your comments. I only bought the Bryton based on the mostly good reviews that it had, I guess cost was another. It will be used on my wife's bike.
    I agree with in regards to the Garmins, I have used a 500 for 7 years now and this thing is still going strong, rarely has it given me any problems.
    EXODUX Jeff

since 4/10/2009
    The positional data it records is actually pretty accurate. I was certainly pleased with it in that regard. It was when I really started to use it more often (especially moving it between my road bike and my mtb), and investigate other use scenarios that I started having issues.

I'm sure you know this already, but it's worth pointing out that the device doesn't have any navigation features. It shows a breadcrumb path of where you've been, which is sufficient for a lot of people, but you can't load a .gpx into it and follow that. Before I bought the Edge 520, I had to go back to my old Forerunner 310XT triathlon watch to get navigation functions when I began training for a century ride and needed to navigate long road routes.

I don't feel that my use of this device represented any sort of exceptional circumstances. I was certainly just using it within the parameters and features advertised by Bryton. I set it up to use it with 2 bikes (that's the max supported). I set up ANT+ sensors with it (it came with a HRM that I still use and a cadence sensor that I still use, and I paired it with a Garmin wheel sensor I already owned, all functions which Bryton advertised were supported). It would have been a totally different scenario if Bryton had remained communicative regarding figuring out the causes of the bugs I noted.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Wow, guess I'm glad I didn't rely on it for much more than dumping a few rides into Strava. Been halfway curious about that new Wahoo elemnt bolt, but since I still have the Bryton and a Pixel 3a, the ~$250 was more than I felt like putting into another thing to log miles (only thing I currently use them for).
    :nono: :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    I bought a Bryton Ryder 15c just because it was inexpensive. It does as good a job as my Garmin Edge 130.

But I have a few complaints-
    1. It looks and feels cheap.

2. The display is to "glossy" making it hard to see. It's also hard to read at night even though it is "backlit".

3. To start and stop a "ride" you push a button on the back. It doesn't give you any affirmation other than the elapsed time will start counting.

4. Setting up "pages" to display data- It's pretty easy to do via a smartphone. Only problem is you have to go into the app and remove it from device manager. Reboot your phone. Add it to the app again.

5. When setting up "pages" your choices are limited for each field.

Other than that I'm happy with it. The cadence sensor is Bluetooth LE & works with my Garmin Edge 130. It's a great backup GPS. Battery life far exceeds my Edge 130.