bike computer or watch- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

bike computer or watch

hey all,
    currently i use strava with my phone which is bluetooth paired to my rhythm24 hrm.

im looking for a device with gps that either has HR monitoring or can be paired to my existing HRM.

i was thinking about a garmin or polar watch which have HR monitoring builtin OR a garmin(or wahoo) bike computer.

im not very well versed with wearables or bike computers. what are your thoughts? price range is $500-800
    2017 yeti sb6c turq x01 eagle

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I use a Garmin 235 running watch and associated HRM strap. Garmin Connect syncs with Strava, and the combination works fine for what I do. I use a Cateye bike computer, too, just for the convenience of having ride distance right in front of me.

I prefer a watch as I use it for gym workouts and the little bit of running I can still do.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    2017 Yeti SB4.5c, stock, except for a Wolf 28T oval chainring

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by useport80 View Post
    hey all,
    currently i use strava with my phone which is bluetooth paired to my rhythm24 hrm.

im looking for a device with gps that either has HR monitoring or can be paired to my existing HRM.

i was thinking about a garmin or polar watch which have HR monitoring builtin OR a garmin(or wahoo) bike computer.

im not very well versed with wearables or bike computers. what are your thoughts? price range is $500-800
    The big question is what you want to use the device for. If only on the bike, then probably pick up a bike computer (I assume your HRM transmits via bluetooth) that receives sensor signals from your choice of hrm.

If you want a device you can use for running, hiking, at the gym, as a day-to-day watch, etc, then a watch is probably more your thing.

mtbr member
    Watch based HRMs can be pretty erratic as they move around on the wrist due to vibration in the bars. Depending on your preferences and objectives, they can be acceptable. A good source for detailed objective info is the DC Rainmaker site. Personally, I use either a chest strap or optical arm band type.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Look in this subforum for posts by me.

You should be able to find my thoughts on using a watch to a computer.
    There are a couple threads titled the same as yours and there are similar type threads.

Look at threads that are only a few months old and newer.

mtbr member
    A bar-mount computer provides much better function on the bike then trying to look at your wrist, even in short-sleeve weather.

However, at least in the case of Garmin devices I've used, the technology and bug-fixing of their bike computers is at least 3 years behind their watches at a similar price point, since the watch market is a lot more competitive and they need to "up their game" to play with the likes of Apple and Samsung.

I've heard a mixture of good and bad things about non-Garmin bike computers like Wahoo etc, but have used none.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    I like how a computer will show the results in relation to my HR. I can see where on the map I was working hard. But I am looking for the Garmin Edge 530 or 830 to also show me where my power was in relation to my HR. Or to look at how steep the climb was in relation to my HR and Power. I think for me the information collected and tracked on the computer is more of what I am looking for. Then again, I already have the HR watch and chest strap (use one at a time).
    I agree with another comment - if you want it for everyday - get the watch. If you want to have info on and after the ride, get the computer. (I don't look at my watch when I ride with it. Also it is an older watch. Not sure how I would feel with a new watch as it is brushed past/against bushes and branches.) I think/hope the center mount computer will be safe from branches, that is, until I run into one.

mtbr member
    I love my watch. Fenix 5x Sapphire. Running, hiking, biking. I wear on my wrist but my buddy has a bar adapter for his. You can sync it up with a strap. I use the watch based hr monitor as I don't care that much. HR on the watch is sometimes a bity wacky. I have probably 3 chest straps at home and don't use them. Will sync to power meters and cadence counters and any other ANT device. You can customize the screens. The sapphire glass is pretty bulletproof. I have beat on it quite a bit and the glass is still in really good shape. You can do some rudimentary nav with it as well. I looked at the bike specific ones but for me the watch is so versatile, I couldn't justify a "bike only" computer. I still run a cateye on my road bike and my old mtb just for a speedo though.

It syncs with Garmin connect and strava as well if you are into that.

Best of all it works a bit like an apple watch and I get 3 or 4 workouts up to two hours long and 8 to 10 days battery life.

mtbr member
    When I ride my bike I never wear a watch. It gets in the way.
    I used to own a Polar 625 watch way back, during my rides it was on the bar.
    I now use a simple Edge 130 and like it very much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I use a newly acquired Garmin Edge Explore. I have an older Garmin watch that I use to swim. Seems like it is a lot easier to glance down at a bike computer when riding that to let you of the bar and look at a watch. If you have Blue Cross insurance you can get Garmin for 35 percent off and free shipping.