Bike Computer with bluetooth speaker- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bike Computer with bluetooth speaker

I just got a job where I'm basically just on call all the time so riding a ton. I would like to be able to answer my phone without stopping and really don't want to wear a blue-tooth earbud. I presently don't have a bike computer either ...I just use my phone in a jersey pocket. Do any of these fancy new cycle computers have speakers and a mic so that I can talk while riding? Integrated satellite texting would be sweet too

mtbr member
    IDK of any with speaker and mic, other than a little beeper. Garmin has integrated their InReach Satellite devices with some of their cycling computers. IDK the details, but that would give you satellite texting while riding.

A good place to get details on this would be the DCRainmaker site.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    I just got a job where I'm basically just on call all the time so riding a ton. I would like to be able to answer my phone without stopping and really don't want to wear a blue-tooth earbud. I presently don't have a bike computer either ...I just use my phone in a jersey pocket. Do any of these fancy new cycle computers have speakers and a mic so that I can talk while riding? Integrated satellite texting would be sweet too
    Nope. No such thing.

I've never seen a Garmin cycling computer with built-in inreach. Only handhelds.
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/c16841-p1.html

Inreach is what you want for satellite texting, though (it won't be an actual bike computer, though, unless you buy one of the handhelds that include inreach functionality). You'd probably want one of the itty bitty ones attached to the top of a pack so you can use your phone to handle the messages themselves (and the inreach would handle the satellite connectivity). Not hands-free, of course. And definitely requires stopping.

I do believe there's a helmet-mounted speaker/mic setup that'll work for your purposes so you don't have to wear the earbud and can voice control calls. Looks like Sena makes some on-ear headsets made to work with bicycle helmets that you can use for hands-free calling. They make an actual helmet with built-in bluetooth intercom, but it appears that it does NOT do hands-free calling.

Where I live, such a thing isn't really feasible (riding all the time with a job with nearly constant on-call time). Cell phone reception is pretty horrendous out on the trails (only on the summits, with pretty much nothing on at least 90% of trail mileage, including trailheads). I do know a few people who own the Inreach Mini, but they use it for emergency communications and for nonemergency stuff like asking for a pickup, check-ins, and such. One of the folks I know who has one is a teenage kid (not driving age) who is a very skilled and fit rider and his parents got one for him to keep in touch while he's riding because they have no hope of keeping up. They settled on this after trying VHF radio (he used to ride with a HUGE antenna poking out of his hip pack) because the VHF radio was too limiting (line of sight was obscured too much). I've been tempted to buy one, too, mostly for emergency communications, but also because I do sometimes ride solo in some pretty remote places (including the occasional multi-day trip) and being able to check in at home would be nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    ...I've never seen a Garmin cycling computer with built-in inreach. ...
    What I meant by integrated is not physically integrated but rather linked with:

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webh...DB255D256.html
    What, me worry?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    What I meant by integrated is not physically integrated but rather linked with:

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webh...DB255D256.html
    I see. Looks like it only offers access to preset messages, though, which probably isn't quite going to work for OP. Not to mention, you're definitely going to have to stop.

mtbr member
    Have you considered bone conduction headphones? These don't go in your ears, which is something that's also important to me.

I have the Aftershokz Titanium and I'm very happy with them. Call quality has been good as long as I'm not riding with too much wind noise.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzo7 View Post
    Have you considered bone conduction headphones? These don't go in your ears, which is something that's also important to me.

I have the Aftershokz Titanium and I'm very happy with them. Call quality has been good as long as I'm not riding with too much wind noise.

Wow ...never heard of this technology. Thanks!

mtbr member
    You're welcome! I hope you find them useful if you go for them.