6 85.71%
  • MTB project

1 14.29%
  • Other

0 0%
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Best trail catalog

Although i can track my rides w wahoo, i sometimes do not want to ride somewhere i’ve Never been before and spend hours navigating the unknown. I would like to be able to check out rides down by somebody else and upload that track to the wahoo. Trailforks is good but doesn’t connect to wahoo. MTB project is good but does not export rides. I did try ride w gps but it seems more focused on road riders. What are people’s preferences?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    For off road, TF seems to be the go-to site and database, at least locally here on Long Island. Indeed, I think our local club - CLIMB is using TF for riders to upload all our local trails, which currently is about complete.

My experience is there's really no other system that has the same database. I use RideWithGPS for all my road and bike trail riding but their database of off-road mt. bike trails is pretty much non existent or mostly useless for my area. Thus I'll use TF and as well I can use the TF app on my Garmin, so this is a no-brainer.

It's unfortunate that Wahoo doesn't work with the TF app, but Wahoo's map database is very road centric and there's no way to add 3rd party maps to a Wahoo, which in my mind is a game changer and why I suffer thru using Garmins.

One thing TF needs to add is the ability to create routes that are on roads. NEVER MIND, figured it out !.

since 4/10/2009
    It depends.

None of them does everything you need for all situations. I use all of them, depending on where I am and what I'm trying to accomplish.

Part of going somewhere new is wayfinding. It's part of the game unless you want to hire a guide or spend time tracking down a local who's willing and able to ride at your pace on your schedule.

Maximizing efficiency and effectiveness of wayfinding is the key, though.

You've gotta figure out the tools you've got and work within their constraints. I don't know much of anything about the maps Wahoo uses or can use (and since you don't mention a model, I dunno if yours can even accept basemaps at all).

I track my rides with a Garmin Edge 520. I'm able to download some trails for it (from gpsfiledepot.com, which is no help for Wahoo), but the databases are never 100% complete so I can't entirely rely on the maps on the GPS for anything except general reference. I can pull out trailforks or mtbproject on my phone and while both apps show trails without cellular service (super spotty where I ride), neither shows the basemaps so getting terrain reference information from there isn't happening. Where I can, I use paper maps since I get all of that information, and can get a bigger picture of my surroundings. If I am unclear about my location, I can use the topo maps on my GPS to help me figure that out.

RidewithGPS is great for planning purposes, but I don't bother with their phone app. I use their web interface, where I can plan out a ride. Again, their base maps aren't perfect for every location, and I mostly use their planning functions for road rides. But it works really well for that.

Part of the planning process of going somewhere new and figuring out what you want to ride is studying maps, digital or print. Sometimes in today's world it might also mean watching youtube vids from the trail, or looking up other people's rides in the area on strava or elsewhere (some of which you can load onto your computer). The more studying you do beforehand, the more efficient your wayfinding. Garmin Connect used to be a great resource for looking up other people's routes in an area, downloading them, and using them yourself, but it appears that's not really so easy to do unless you build a network of "connections" to see their rides.

I did a ride last weekend in an area I had some reasonable familiarity with, but my 3 riding buddies had never been. We got to a creek bottom area where the trail got super braided and overgrown and the other guys were getting SUPER doubtful about my wayfinding. At that point, though, I was relying on the blazes on the trees because none of the maps (digital or print) for that specific spot were any more clear. It'd have been real interesting to see how they'd have handled it if I wasn't along to say, "yes, we are going the right way" where it got confusing.

I enjoy the occasional adventure mtb ride with what you might call Type 2 fun. It's a different sort of thing than smashing out hot laps on your local loop. The only times I really look for the extra guidance you're talking about are when I'm traveling and have a time constraint. Taking advantage of locals or guides is a good way to handle that. I've made a number of friends this way. Sometimes it's planned. Sometimes it's spontaneous.

Sometimes when I ride a new place that's a compact network of trails, I'll just try to ride everything so I can build a picture of how the trails connect in my head. Did that a few weeks ago at Baker Creek in Knoxville. There were good maps and markers, but the place was so compact with so many trails that I had to ride around the place a bit before I got a handle on it. And of course I ventured out into an area with a lot of new construction and all that went to shit and just had to wing it and fall to dead reckoning as my navigation method of choice. It's not my preferred way to handle it because it's very intuitive and I can't really reason it out to the people I'm with. Other people don't like that much.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post

You've gotta figure out the tools you've got and work within their constraints. I don't know much of anything about the maps Wahoo uses or can use (and since you don't mention a model, I dunno if yours can even accept basemaps at all).

I track my rides with a Garmin Edge 520. I'm able to download some trails for it (from gpsfiledepot.com, which is no help for Wahoo),.
    I had a Bolt, good unit for road riding but Wahoo's cannot add 3rd party maps, you use the OSM street maps provided in the unit. I found this to be a major flaw as it makes the unit a road only device essentially and is why I commented about sticking to Garmin as there's a whole lot of different maps available for certain units. As well they've added the ability to put the TrailForks app on the devices (that are Garmin iQ compliant) which makes it super easy to create a map at the TF site and download to to the device via BT and a smartphone. No wired connection needed. iQ RWGPS does this as well for road rides and it's super easy and useful.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Catmandoo View Post
    I had a Bolt, good unit for road riding but Wahoo's cannot add 3rd party maps, you use the OSM street maps provided in the unit. I found this to be a major flaw as it makes the unit a road only device essentially and is why I commented about sticking to Garmin as there's a whole lot of different maps available for certain units. As well they've added the ability to put the TrailForks app on the devices (that are Garmin iQ compliant) which makes it super easy to create a map at the TF site and download to to the device via BT and a smartphone. No wired connection needed. iQ RWGPS does this as well for road rides and it's super easy and useful.
    I've been a user of the gpsfiledepot.com topo maps for a LONG time and it's the one reason I haven't moved away from Garmin yet. If the maps on your device are only roads, and don't allow me to replace them with topos, then I'm not interested.

I'm not sure i have enough room left on my 520 to fit any iQ apps after putting topos on. More memory is the one thing I could use.

Bikesexual
    This just came into my email, can't read much about it now but thought it may apply.

Ride with GPS route planner.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

since 4/10/2009
    interesting.

not sure I'd want to do that job on mobile all the time.

I commonly have to flip between different maps to build out routes. switch to satellite view to cross parking lots, or use trails that aren't in the OSM database (sometimes, they don't show up well in all regions/landscapes/forest types) or whatever. I could see that being very difficult on my phone. It's tricky enough sometimes on my desktop computer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Well, i figured out how to export routes from TF to wahoo. It wont export whole regions, just ridden routes. So for example, you bring up Trailforks and highlight a route on the map by touching somewhere on it. Then the elevation graph appears at the bottom of the screen. You swipe up to get more detail. You click on ‘save to’. You choose ‘share’ and post it to your Dropbox. You then switch to Dropbox and click on the file and ‘open in’ wahoo element. The route magically appears on the roam.

The save to button has other options, including ‘open in wahoo elemnt’ But for some reason that does not work on iOS.