best mtb trail apps?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

best mtb trail apps?

What are the best mtb trail apps in your opinion? I went trail riding last night and I wanted the following functions:

* Distance traveled. Should include distance across twisty lines not just point-to-point straight lines.
    * Total elevation traveled. If I go up 100 feet, down 100 feet, up 100 feet, the app should have the option to record total elevation traveled as 200 feet
    * Average speed
    * Nice to have - speed over specific areas. For example, what was my average speed on mile 3 out of 5?

Those are the initial basic functions that occurred to me off hand that I would like in an mtb app. What are some other functions that you find useful in your app or that you'd like to have?

jcd's best friend
    Strava when I'm not wanting to use my bike computer. My Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt does all that stuff though. If you want accurate data, a single app may not do it for you. It would be better to just get a couple sensors and use a bike computer. I use a speed sensor on my mountain bike and a power meter, speed, and cadence sensor on the road bike.
    IG: @southsoundrider | Salsa Timberjack | Salsa Cutthroat

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by titus View Post
    What are the best mtb trail apps in your opinion? I went trail riding last night and I wanted the following functions:

* Distance traveled. Should include distance across twisty lines not just point-to-point straight lines.
    * Total elevation traveled. If I go up 100 feet, down 100 feet, up 100 feet, the app should have the option to record total elevation traveled as 200 feet
    * Average speed
    * Nice to have - speed over specific areas. For example, what was my average speed on mile 3 out of 5?

Those are the initial basic functions that occurred to me off hand that I would like in an mtb app. What are some other functions that you find useful in your app or that you'd like to have?
    Sounds to me like you want:
    Strava
    Map My Ride/Run
    Cyclemeter

To get your "nice to have" you will probably need a GPS device such as Garmin or others (then set a lap for your desired mile). Garmin for example allows you to set an auto distance for a lap, or you can press the lap button). With a GPS device such as Garmin you would probably want to add a speed sensor.

I personally do know know if any phone apps will allow you to set a lap.

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by skytech View Post
    KLW4000 Series Hydraulic Torque Wrench Pump-Pneumatic Operation
    product features:
    Compact automatic three stage flow,most efficiency.
    *Applicable on both one or two wrenches simultaneously.
    *Aluminum oil tank with oil gauge and thermometer.
    *Have*Φ100 high pressure gauge.
    Working pressure:40~700 bar.
    With efficient radiator,the pump can work 24 hours continuously.
    The motor can be changed according to the different voltage.
    You can use manifold to operate 4 wrenches simultaneously.
    Find out the details of what to look for when choosing the UHP pump and torque wrench to use.
    Learn more about hydraulic wrenches and the design that best suits you. The design you choose will have a significant impact in use. Click to get more information about hydraulic valves at https://www.atwwren.com/index.html .
    Oh yes! Totally relevant!
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Strava is pretty inaccurate if you actually want data that is relevant. Run it next to a handheld GPS and itís always off a solid 10-15% in elevation and 2-3% in mileage. It always gives you more, which Iím guessing is a pretty good marketing tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bikesexual
    Strava, but I run my Garmin 520 and it uploads it to Strava.

I've been Ride with GPS curious though.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Alltrails does most of that. I'm sure it has the usual GPS inaccuracy as to distance and elevation.

It's probably hiking or "multisport" oriented, but has fairly complete maps of all the trails around here (Dallas).

It's free, check it out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Strava, but I run my Garmin 520 and it uploads it to Strava.

I've been Ride with GPS curious though.
    I upload data to Strava but use RWGPS to lay out courses that I download to my Garmin.
    What, me worry?

CEO Product Failure
    If you can get it to work, Relive is pretty cool. The app has had some recent compatibilty issues this past year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Elevation is going to be all over the place as thereís not a GPS made that can consistently track elevation. Some of the better dedicated cycling GPS units will have a barometric sensor which helps, phones not likely. The issue with GPS only elevation is just that the type of signal and geometry to the satellites doesnít lend itself to accurate elevation location. Latitude and Longitude - Yes, up/down, not so much.

Sending to Strava can help as they can compare your recorded track to others and average and correct the data. Not sure if Garmin Connect does this and I donít think RWGPS does.

As well, note that in deep wooded areas with a lot of foliage, all GPS units can have errors while tracking, mostly due to the weak GPS signal that the unit receives. Is why a lot of mt. bikers uses a speed sensor whose data a GPS device will use to record distance. Far more accurate at times.