Basemap upload issues??- Mtbr.com
    DFL>DNF>DNS

Basemap upload issues??

Anyone else experiencing upload issues when trying to add basemaps to a Garmin?? Specifically, files downloaded from GPSFileDepot via Basecamp onto a Garmin Edge705??

I've done this in the past numerous times without issue. Recently, I noticed my 705 wasn't displaying the basemaps, so I downloaded the AZ topo again and went through the motions. Nada. I thought perhaps my 705 was finally dying and a buddy happened to have a brand new one. So, I uploaded the AZ topo to that device. Same thing, nada. I swapped out micro SD cards, still nothing. It's as if the topo data isn't transferring to the card via Basecamp. I get all the normal prompts in Basecamp, says the file transfer is complete, but it seems to happen rather quickly. Then, when I look at the card properties, the full allotment of data is still available, telling me nothing transfered. On the unit, it gives me the option the select the checkbox next to Arizona Topos, yet nothing. I also tried uploading the topo to the 705 internal memory without success.

Has there been a recent Garmin software update that would cause this?

Yeah, I know the Edge705 is old skool. I like it. Tried the 820 and hated it, sent it back. So, I'll roll with the 705 as long as possible, seems like an odd glitch to me.

Thoughts??
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I may have found the issue. It appears v4.7 of Basecamp is the culprit. I uninstalled it and installed v4.6.2. At the moment the transfer is looking more like what I expected.

Found this article online about v4.7 being broken. Hopefully it helps others
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schillingsworth View Post
    ...I know the Edge705 is old skool. I like it. Tried the 820 and hated it, sent it back...
    I rolled with a 705 until I lost it on a ride a few years ago. Got an 820 and it sux. Word on the street is the 820 will soon be replaced by an 830. I might get one if they did something about the erratic touch screen.

Disclaimer. I also have a 500 and 520 at the moment.
    What, me worry?

DFL>DNF>DNS
    [QUOTE=Lone Rager;14035533Got an 820 and it sux. Word on the street is the 820 will soon be replaced by an 830. I might get one if they did something about the erratic touch screen.
    .[/QUOTE]

That was one reason I didn't care for it. Battery life was horrible IMO only lasting 8-ish hours on a full charge and I don't like their battery save option, having a blank screen until a turn approaches. No thanks. The final straw was having all my ride data reset to zero halfway through the Colorado Trail Race. More of an annoyance than anything, but I didn't feel like doing math with my mushy head at that point. Anyway, glad my buddy found his 705 and donated it to me, practically brand new. I also have an eTrex 20x as backup, but prefer the 705 interface and rechargeable internal battery via cache/dynamo hub.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Wow!
    Some one else that still uses a 705.....I thought I was the last one.
    Bought mine in 2008 and it has been pretty flawless ( except for a few fubar updates that I was able to fix)
    Only trouble I occaisionally have is downloading a route....had a few that would either not load....or fritz out during the ride. Have you run into that issue at all?
    It used to be talked about on the Garmin forum...which is pretty dead these days.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Wow!
    Some one else that still uses a 705.....I thought I was the last one.
    Bought mine in 2008 and it has been pretty flawless ( except for a few fubar updates that I was able to fix)
    Only trouble I occaisionally have is downloading a route....had a few that would either not load....or fritz out during the ride. Have you run into that issue at all?
    It used to be talked about on the Garmin forum...which is pretty dead these days.
    The 705 lives on!!

When I'm following a track, I convert the .gpx file to a .crs file and copy/paste it in the 'Courses' folder. Then on the unit, select Menu - Training - Courses (select a course from the list) - Do Course. Once loaded, hit Mode and go to the second screen. Use the selector up/down to display a split screen - I like to see the track on the bottom portion and mileage/time on the top. I'll also take a peek at the upcoming elevation on occasion. Just be sure your track is 10k data points or less, else it gets truncated. Can't really say I've run into issues like you describe since using .crs files. When simply trying to copy/paste a .gpx file to the GPX directory, I'd get varying results like you mention.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for the tip!
    I don't use that feature often.
    Most of the time....an event sends you a gps file or a link to ridewithgps....and I download it from there.(both with mixed results)
    I will try this next time.

BTW...I also tried the 820....and agree with you....especially the touch screen issues.
    When the 705 dies....I'll probably get a 520 ( or whatever comes next)

mtbr member
    ...It used to be talked about on the Garmin forum...which is pretty dead these days.
    I was gonna call you on that because Garmin shut down the 705 user's forum back in 2015. I just checked and see they reactivated it. Cool. Wish I hadn't lost mine. It was never anywhere near flawless. Running down-rev firmware (3.1 IIRC) and knowing the workarounds made it acceptable.

The problem you're having with some courses sounds like there may be too many track points. I used to limit the number of points to less than 1000. GPSies and RWGPS has an options to limit the number of points when exported GPX track files. I also sometimes used a freeware tool called TCX Converter to reduce the number of points on existing GPX files. IDK if that's still around.

The 520 and 520+ are pretty good (no touch screen) but zooming the map is many menus deep and there is no scrolling of the map, which kind of really limits the use of the device if you want to see where you are or where you're going on the map.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I was gonna call you on that because Garmin shut down the 705 user's forum back in 2015. I just checked and see they reactivated it. Cool. Wish I hadn't lo
    They never deactivated it....they just removed the forum from the main menu.
    So if you had it bookmarked....or if you Googled it...it was always there.
    But I'm sure a lot of people never figured that out....and with the unit being outdated...the forum is pretty dead. ( I very rarely went there unless I had an issue...which wasn't often)
    And thanks for the tips on the tracks....

since 4/10/2009
    I had a 705 years ago. A Garmin update bricked it and they had to send me a refurb after trying every method the Garmin engineers could figure out over the course of a week or two. I sold off that refurb as soon as I got it because that bricked firmware scared me off.

I now use a 520, which has been a solid replacement with a similar feature set. Though it would be nice if the zoom was a little easier to access and it had the option to pan the map at all. It's got enough physical buttons that it could be done. Like, when you're on the map screen, tap the enter button to access the zoom (screen page arrows). Tap again to access up/down pan. Tap again to get to left/right pan. The "back" button returns you to normal screen page function. Panning is the only good use for the joystick thing. Otherwise, I hated it.

mtbr member
    They never deactivated it....they just removed the forum from the main menu.
    So if you had it bookmarked....or if you Googled it...it was always there...
    Yes. It was there. I had it bookmarked and went back to it for reference, but it was closed and you couldn't post. If you look at the post dates you can see there was a period of about 2 years starting in the middle of 2015 when there were no new posts.
    What, me worry?