mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Apple Watch 4 for riding

How do people like their Apple Watch for riding? Thinking of getting one with cellular connectivity so I can leave my phone at home when I am going for a ride.

Does strava work well on the Apple Watch? How about the heart rate monitor?

My assumption would be to use only the watch when I am doing small to moderate rides on known trails but still bring my phone when I am exploring new places so I can access Trailforks. Also would bring the phone on big days as backup.

I ride mainly in the PNW If that makes any difference.

Thought?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gdesch View Post
    How do people like their Apple Watch for riding? Thinking of getting one with cellular connectivity so I can leave my phone at home when I am going for a ride.

Does strava work well on the Apple Watch? How about the heart rate monitor?

My assumption would be to use only the watch when I am doing small to moderate rides on known trails but still bring my phone when I am exploring new places so I can access Trailforks. Also would bring the phone on big days as backup.

I ride mainly in the PNW If that makes any difference.

Thought?
    I use Cyclemeter. It works fine. Uploads to Strava, all that stuff. I continue to wear a chest strap. I haven't really worked much at comparing the watch's built-in HRM to the ANT+ HRM on my Trip 300 computer so I don't know how accurate the watch is while working out. It seems to do OK. It does have a fall sensor.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I have an Apple Watch 3, and I use it on all my rides.
    GPS works great, uploads to Strava with no problem, HR monitor works fine, and shows the current speed. I also use it for walking, running and gym work.
    Itís a great choice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I use a Apple Watch, series 2 I believe. It works well enough. I usually put my phone in my bag, and start and stop Strava on the watch itself. I havenít had any issues with it uploading to strava. Heart rate also uploads to Strava just fine too.
    You actually donít need LTE to do watch only. Just start Strava on your watch, and when you finish it will upload your results when it pairs back up with your phone. I do that for runs. On rides I prefer having my phone for emergencies though. This doesnít work on the earlier iterations that didnít have a built in GPS.

Iím not sure how accurate the wrist HR detector is though. Iíve had periods where it will say Iíve had the same HR for 20 minutes straight. There is no way I am that consistent.

If you are the type of person who likes to have a map, speed, distance, and so on always visible then it probably isnít for you. But if you usually start Strava and then never look at your phone again until you finish the ride, then the watch is a bit handy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I got the Apple Watch 4 for the fall alert for when I am ridding alone. Just Incase I was to hurt myself bad enough to not be able to call help. Was a bit disappointed that the Strava for the watch donít let you use the beacon feature or the live segments. So I usually still run my phone for the beacon and the Strava in the watch for the heart rate. The heart rate seems to work well. Battery life could be better. I just have the GPS version.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadcmpr View Post
    I use a Apple Watch, series 2 I believe. It works well enough. I usually put my phone in my bag, and start and stop Strava on the watch itself. I havenít had any issues with it uploading to strava. Heart rate also uploads to Strava just fine too.
    You actually donít need LTE to do watch only. Just start Strava on your watch, and when you finish it will upload your results when it pairs back up with your phone. I do that for runs. On rides I prefer having my phone for emergencies though. This doesnít work on the earlier iterations that didnít have a built in GPS.

Iím not sure how accurate the wrist HR detector is though. Iíve had periods where it will say Iíve had the same HR for 20 minutes straight. There is no way I am that consistent.

If you are the type of person who likes to have a map, speed, distance, and so on always visible then it probably isnít for you. But if you usually start Strava and then never look at your phone again until you finish the ride, then the watch is a bit handy.
    thats good to know. I have not used Strava on my watch yet. 99% of the trails I ride I know well or are well marked so I dont need a map up while riding. Always take my phone for emergencies but would be nice to save from battery while on longer rides.

J-

Always in the wrong gear
    I use a series 2 watch as well. I would echo the above posts regarding functionality and accuracy, my HR seems accurate enough.
    I really really like using my watch for riding.
    Apple Watch 4 for riding-0ff02723-f1ea-4e84-bc7c-d4d923fb61ab.jpg
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jjc155 View Post
    thats good to know. I have not used Strava on my watch yet. 99% of the trails I ride I know well or are well marked so I dont need a map up while riding. Always take my phone for emergencies but would be nice to save from battery while on longer rides.

J-
    Strava is mostly not for navigating, anyway.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Strava is mostly not for navigating, anyway.
    right, just didn't know you could run Starva on the apple watch as a standalone. When I ride unfamiliar trails I use Trailforks and/or MTBProject.

J-

Lunacity360
    Dec 2018
    Best piece of tech Iíve ever had. I put it on as soon as I wake up every day, and even with a hour and a half ride using strava some days, the battery never goes below half. I have cellular too, and itís such a relief being able to leave my $1500 iphone at home or in the car, and my wife still being able to contact me. Strava on it works amazing, havenít had one issue except maybe the anxiety that my ride is lost during the sync back with my phone, but itís never failed, just sometimes you gotta wait 5 min for it to do itís thing. Hrm accurate when compared to my friends garmin, and the ecg, fall detection, AirPod music streaming, and awesome band selection all just icing on the cake after that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lunacity360 View Post
    AirPod music streaming,

Many people don't realize that the watch has a small amount of storage space. The newest model has 16GB, Series 2 only had 4GB. But that's still plenty for a workout playlist. And you connect your bluetooth headphones directly to the watch. It's not something I would use for riding, but it works great for running. Leave my phone at home, start strava, start music, and then go on a run. No wires, nothing in my pockets, but I still get music and everything gets tracked and synced when I get back.

Members who have read this thread: 60