mtbr member

Any decent wrist style Heart Monitors out there?

Looking for a wrist heart rate device but not wanting to go the full Garmin route for $400 or so. Are there and decent devices that are reasonably accurate for mountain bike use?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I've got a Garmin watch that includes an optical HR monitor, and can connect to my strap if I have it on. It is *much* more accurate with the strap.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    2017 Yeti SB4.5c, stock, except for a Wolf 28T oval chainring

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaldedDogCO View Post
    I've got a Garmin watch that includes an optical HR monitor, and can connect to my strap if I have it on. It is *much* more accurate with the strap.

Mark

Could you let me know the model name? They have all kinds of different devices.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Mine's a Forerunner 235, circa 2016.

Mark

2017 Yeti SB4.5c, stock, except for a Wolf 28T oval chainring

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The Mio link works great, bluetooth to your other devices though, so no exact readout on the device. Has a changing light colors to show your zone.

mtbr member
    Scosche RHYTHM+ also works well. Funny tan lines!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zombinate View Post
    The Mio link works great, bluetooth to your other devices though, so no exact readout on the device. Has a changing light colors to show your zone.
    I like it but for sure the red light would always be on!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I've had the Garmin Vivoactive HR+ for over a year. Use it for both running and mtb. It's been fantastic for both. Just recently got the Garmin speed sensor that goes on the wheel hub (for biking not running) and the HRM strap. I've found the speed sensor provides more accurate distance than the gps alone and the HRM gives a much smother heart rate graph (I'm guessing it samples faster than the optical sensor on the watch). I don't have any complaints with this combo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Another recommendation for the Mio Link. Affordable and does what it says. Mine's been pretty reliable, dropped signal about twice in twelve months, and the readings are about +/-1.5 BPM compared to a chest strap. That's plenty accurate for zone-based training or hrTSS.

I don't ride with a head unit, so the LED HR zone display is exactly the info I want. Just a quick glance as a reality check while riding, without having to squint at a screen. You can either program your custom 5 zones to different colors (as narrow or broad as you want), or set up one zone (if you want to target for a specific workout).

My only complaint is the battery life is only about 4 hours. Plenty for indoors but just not enough for all-day epics or long social rides with lolligagging. Other straps have longer life (Wahoo's Tickr armband looks nice) but don't have an indicator for on-the-bike feedback.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Polar m430 "running" watch. Countless ready made sport profiles that can be easily edited. Compatible w strava, training peaks my fitness. Had it for one week,about 15 hrs of riding winter mtb in -1 to -10 C, gps works faultless under coat or thick glove. Longest ride 5,5 hrs with hr and 1 sec gps, battery still at one block out of four. No complaints yet. And nice training feedback, recovery and planning portal on polar flow. 5 hr zones. Lots of other stuff, activity, running coach, multisport. Easy interface with usb or bluetooth. No regrets yet.

mtbr member
    The Suunto Ambit3 Peak is a pretty solid choice. They're no longer a current model so you can get them for < $300 on Amazon and much cheaper on eBay. It's pretty customizable for its modes and the like so you can use it for running, swimming, cycling, etc. I have found mine to be quite accurate; I don't get a lot of use out of it though because I don't like wearing watches and I don't love the interface. I'm actually on Amazon searching Garmin devices right now........
    :wq

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Upgraded from my ASUS ZenWatch2, Samsung Gear Fit 2 and Garmin 920XT combo...
    To a Garmin 935.
    The calendar and notifications of the ZenWatch and Fit2, the optical heart rate of the Fit2 and the Garmin-ability of the 920XT.
    Also, the stopwatch on the Fit2 doesn't go longer than 1 hour.
    That's fairly important for charging accurately for jobs during the day.
    Was expensive, but sold an Edge 810 and the 920XT and more than recouped the cost.

Not as fancy or colourful as the others, but in sunlight it just gets brighter, not harder to read. 2 week battery life as a watch with 24/7 HRM.

Could have gone for a 235, but it doesn't do power or wifi and has 1/3 of the battery life.

Very happy.