mtbr member

AllSport GPS phone by Trimble

Wondering if anyone had any experience with this software... I would be putting it on my Blackberry.

http://portal.trimbleoutdoors.com/Ma...9/Default.aspx

Thank you for your feedback!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Any feedback on this? I'm thinking about trying it out. Read several reviews and they seem to be fairly positive, in spite of most phones not being quite as good as a dedicated gps unit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

allsport gps

i too am thinking about the allsport. i will probably give it a try and will review once i have. what i can say tonight is that i googled "allsport gps" and the 3rd or 4th hit down was a decent review at about.com on "david's blog". good and useful info.

still looking elsewhere as well.

chewy

ps. i kept looking on the same search and found plenty of reviews. i'm going to give it a try. will get back to you all when i do. cya

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Unfortunately after browsing their website I noticed my carrier isn't compatible with the application, non carriers are US Cellular, Verizon and Alltel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

"non carriers"

Quote Originally Posted by RookieBeotch
    Unfortunately after browsing their website I noticed my carrier isn't compatible with the application, non carriers are US Cellular, Verizon and Alltel.
    rookie, you might want to contact trimble to see if the trimble outdoors application can be used at the faster speeds of biking - cuz they have that application for verizon and alltel, and of course many blackberry phones regardless of carrier.

just a thought.

chewy

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    update - i took the plunge. like anything, there are limitations, but overall i am pleased. i found the dense forest where i ride to provide a couple spots of trouble, having lost the gps units and then having bogus speeds / distances once it re-detected. but overall, very nice application. worked like a champ when on the road.

the drawback of almost all flip-phones or sliders is that the phone has to be open to keep in contact with the gps's. i actually took my upgrade phone back and got a bar phone - works great.

finally, the map view is pretty small scale on the phone screen, and turn by turn directions are not available, but i think i could use it as a breadcrumb trail if i absolutely had to.

it will give me plenty of use at the monthly fee rate to make up for a dedicated garmin.

again, overall pleased so far. good luck to all.

chewy

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Mixed feelings so far

I really wanted to see how this would work for running/walking as well as cycling/mtb. So far, the cycling sucked as it appears my phone won't get a signal when in the dedicated media pouch at the top of my camelbak. If I were to use it cycling, it seems, I will need to mount it on the bar (or top of helmet; either way, I have no way of doing so.) I did use it walking and running, with mixed results. I found that my phone (again, same as cycling) won't pick up gps when in a pocket on the front of my shorts. I just finished using it and it worked pretty well when held in my hand. Wasn't too bad as phone isn't heavy plus it was interesting to watch it draw the map as I went along. Now, as to the accuracy, with one complete use w/o gps signal loss, I'm not so sure yet. I am fairly certain that on the little 2.8K trail I was running on doesn't span 100 feet in elevation. At most, I'd say 10-20 feet at best. Maybe the gps satellite I was pinging made a correction burn? I dunno, but if this was just a glitch and further use irons them out, I'd say for cheap, AllSport GPS might not be too bad.

mtbr member

DEMO - Trimble

A few years ago-I think 2006-Had this when they first came out on a NEXTEL motorola
    i275 phone as a (free) demo for a season.

Found that by starting the application to "track"-then when stoping at an intersection (care not to back track) Setting a way point - then the thing and software worked very well.

If you back track or walk around with the unit while on a ride the "track" gets all squiggly-and yes if signal is lost in the trees then the track is off. These issues can generally be editied out after creating the file.

When I stoped I made sure I had a good line of site through the trees and took a way point.

When done it loaded in the software...made bread crumbs into a track and then converted it to Google earth/maps.

I'll find the file and post it when I get home...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Good job! Update

I would say that I am pretty pleased with how allsport gps has turned out. I've used it about a dozen time now, and once I figured out how to avoid issues, it seems to work pretty well.

Here's a link to one of my rides:

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewT...?tripId=418008

I do think I might get a dedicated gps unit (one of those nice watch styles, perhaps), but for now, I give high regards to allsport gps, with one reservation: the monthly fee for it's use is $5, not much, but sort of annoying. They do provide a nice mapping setup on their website and the data is easily exported to google earth in either .kml or .gpx files.

Members who have read this thread: 0