Advice on selecting a GPS Device- Mtbr.com
    Nobody

Advice on selecting a GPS Device

For the past couple years, I've been using the Strava app on my iPhone. Currently using an iPhone 7 and have found that with newer iPhones, the accuracy and repeatability continues to get worse and worse. My old iPhone 4 seemed to be very repeatable and was very closely matvched with my Garmin 500 Edge unit.

My Garmin will no longer charge and the power connector is not salvageable.

My only needs/wants are to have a device that produces accurate and repeatable data which I will upload to Strava. I'm not really concerned about maps and navigation. I just want mileage and elevation gain number to be accurate. Ideally, it would be nice to have a device that will sync and upload automatically to Strava without moving files around.

I cannot wear a watch as they are uncomfortable for me while riding. What device would you all suggest for my simple needs?

Please don't hesitate to throw questions at me if I have left anything out.

Thanks
    Erik
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

Rent this space for $
    Just get the Edge 520, NOT the newer 520 Plus. It'll have some Nav and map capability but just ignore it. Who knows, maybe you'll take a liking to that but they're priced reasonably, sized reasonably, and do the Strava thing quite well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    or just get one of the lenzyne or bryton computers that are less than $100 because you don't need any of that fancy stuff.

mtbr member
    Garmin has the Edge 20...which is small and pretty basic. If you want Bluetooth (it'll automatically upload your ride to Connect and Strava after completing an activity) you can move up to the Edge 25 for $30 more.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/508487#specs

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I recently bought a Polar M460 and it does all that you want for a good price. Also can use the optical OH1 heart rate monitor that goes around your arm rather than a chest strap.

since 4/10/2009
    don't buy a cheap bryton. I have one, and it's a buggy PITA that they've never released patches to address.

I also think you'd be better off with an Edge 130 over the Edge 20/25 models. The Lezynes look like they'd be a good choice, too. I've been quite happy with my Edge 520, and it'd be a solid choice, too.

Sounds like with the sorts of things you are after, I'd make sure I got a computer with a wheel sensor, too. The wheel sensor will definitely improve distance/speed accuracy and precision. I have 3 wheel sensors on different bikes in my stable right now. My Edge 520 transfers between them dead simply.

Nobody
    Thanks for the suggestions.

At 1st, I was considering the Edge 25 as the bare minimum, but leaning more towards the 130, at this point. The 520 is a little larger than I want and way more features than I care for.

I have several wheel and cadence sensors from my old Edge 500 unit, so maybe they will be compatible with the new unit. I used to run wheel and cadence sensors on all my bikes, but prefer the less is more approach to stuff piled all over the bike.

I'll give what ever I choose a chance to perform on its own and then compare with a wheel sensor. What bugs me the most about my phone is doing the same ride over and over and getting wildly different data from day to day and when compared with my riding partners who are using the same exact phone and app combo.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions.

At 1st, I was considering the Edge 25 as the bare minimum, but leaning more towards the 130, at this point. The 520 is a little larger than I want and way more features than I care for.

I have several wheel and cadence sensors from my old Edge 500 unit, so maybe they will be compatible with the new unit. I used to run wheel and cadence sensors on all my bikes, but prefer the less is more approach to stuff piled all over the bike.

I'll give what ever I choose a chance to perform on its own and then compare with a wheel sensor. What bugs me the most about my phone is doing the same ride over and over and getting wildly different data from day to day and when compared with my riding partners who are using the same exact phone and app combo.
    Your old sensors will work, but I REALLY like the new magnetless ones. They disappear on the bike. You can forget about them entirely. No worries about bumping them with your foot, or in a wreck, and then the sensor is too far from yhe magnet, and you don't notice until the end of your ride. The device will give you battery warnings, but IME, they come kinda late.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Nobody
    Guess we'll just call it luck of the draw, but I purchased an Edge 130 yesterday and had nothing but problems. Powered right up and started following the screen prompts. Installed the mobile app so I could pair the device. It paired according to my phone, but device and garmin app kept asking me to retry.

I unpaired through my phone and told it to forget device, and attempted pairings through mobile app again, and it would not go through. Did the soft reset of the device, cycled bluetooth on/off on phone, reloaded the app and still no luck.

Then I decided I would just go ahead and set up the device without pairing. Put in all my bio stats and it froze up. Did the soft reset again and it would just sit on the Garmin start page.

Tried connecting directly to my computer and the device would not show up. Spent an hour on chat support with Garmin and they could not get it recovered.

Guess I'll go exchange it and see what happens. The tech support suggested that I not attempt phone pairing or set up unitl I get the unit connected to my PC and updated through Garmin Express. That makes sense and should probably be stated in the startup manual.

Oh well...

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
    The tech support suggested that I not attempt phone pairing or set up unitl I get the unit connected to my PC and updated through Garmin Express. That makes sense and should probably be stated in the startup manual.

Oh well...
    Maybe it should, but it should also be understood for any electronic device to get the basics up, check for updates, and then look at extra options.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Nobody
    Exchanged the 130 unit today and was able to get it set up with no problems. Unable to ride today, but I'll take it on a hike with the dog tonight and compare it against my iphone data...