310xt track back to starting location?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

310xt track back to starting location?

Doing some research on different GPS and HRM's. The 310xt sounds like it's got a lot of bells and whistles and could be a good training partner. In particular I was wondering about the "back to start" feature. I would like to be able to set the location of where I parked, in the event that I lose my bearings on the trails I'll be able to find my way back. Does anyone use this feature?

since 4/10/2009
    The way I understand the track back feature, it routes you directly over the track you just laid down. So it will give you a true out-and-back route. It will not be happy if you deviate from that track to make a lollipop route or a loop of some kind.

It does allow waypoint and you can set one for where you park. But the device will only be able to give you a straightline distance to that point if you tell it to navigate there. There's no capability for maps, so you won't be able to see what sort of terrain is between you and your destination.

The fitness watches really aren't made to do this kind of thing well. They'll only do the very very basics. They're made to track your workouts. And that's pretty much it. If you want navigation/mapping, look elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the info, do you have any recommendations in terms of navigation/mapping capable gps for mountain biking?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rm86 View Post
    Thanks for the info, do you have any recommendations in terms of navigation/mapping capable gps for mountain biking?
    not really. there are a lot of models to choose from. I use a Garmin Oregon 450, but other folks in here use different models because they wanted different features. Did you read the sticky at the top?

mtbr dismember

Garmins

Quote Originally Posted by rm86 View Post
    Garmin 705 and 800. I much prefer the 800.