Thread: XTC Sizing

mtbr member

XTC Sizing

I'm wondering if I could get some advice on Giant sizing. I'm trying to figure out if the XTC 17" frame is too small for me, being that I am 5'10". I have another bike that is 19" and it rides a bit better (at least it feels that way). Is it all mental or is the 17" XTC too small for me?

Any input appreciated....thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gcc0
    I'm wondering if I could get some advice on Giant sizing. I'm trying to figure out if the XTC 17" frame is too small for me, being that I am 5'10". I have another bike that is 19" and it rides a bit better (at least it feels that way). Is it all mental or is the 17" XTC too small for me?

Any input appreciated....thanks.
    Hey -- I might be able to help; I have a slightly more extreme version of the same problem. I'm just a shade under 5'9", but proportioned very long in the leg/arm for my height (short torso). Currently ride a 19, but first had a 17 for two years. My take: provided you've got standover clearance, sizing by effective top tube is even more important with Giant than some others. Giant's sizing is a little odd, in that a 17 has an actual center-center seat tube of about 14.25", the 19 about 16.25, with 57.5 and 59 cm. top tube respectively. In other words, given the nominal sizing, the 17/19 Giants are pretty compact. Like me, you could probably ride both, but I've found the 19 a more 'balanced' ride overall, if not quite as flickable as the 17; I suspect the 19 would be an even better fit for you. I wish they made an 18 for me!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iggy giant
    Hey -- I might be able to help; I have a slightly more extreme version of the same problem. I'm just a shade under 5'9", but proportioned very long in the leg/arm for my height (short torso). Currently ride a 19, but first had a 17 for two years. My take: provided you've got standover clearance, sizing by effective top tube is even more important with Giant than some others. Giant's sizing is a little odd, in that a 17 has an actual center-center seat tube of about 14.25", the 19 about 16.25, with 57.5 and 59 cm. top tube respectively. In other words, given the nominal sizing, the 17/19 Giants are pretty compact. Like me, you could probably ride both, but I've found the 19 a more 'balanced' ride overall, if not quite as flickable as the 17; I suspect the 19 would be an even better fit for you. I wish they made an 18 for me!
    Interesting, I think I'm leaning towards the 19" now...the 17" just 'feels' small. Thanks for the info...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have a 17" Rainier and I am also 5'10. It is almost to small. In brands like Cannondale with a more traditional frame geometry a 17'(Med) in perfect, but with Giant's more compact set-up I feel a bit cramped. You could try something as simple as a longer stem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yep -- I think that is the point when sizing Giant h/ts (don't know about the d/s bikes). As you say, even for me a Cannondale 17/18 h/t frame (their Med, depending on the model) works perfectly, and I'm a bit shorter than you and the OP. With Giant, I really had to go 'up' to the 19 to get the right overall fit, but have to run a 90 rather than my preferred 100 stem. I wish they'd follow Spec/Kona and make a 17>18>19 sequence in their hardtails, but oh well!

Singletracker
    Jun 2005
    I ride a 17" XtC, but definatley put a 110mm stem on. XtC's frame are more compact, but you should focus more on standover clearence then length, because length is more adjustable.

I went for the 17" because i felt i had more control of the bike, the longer stem helped release by inner strenth on climbs.

I'm 5'8" with a 30 - 31" inseam, the 19" would have to had had a shorter stem, i could have ridden both. I prefer making a more compact bike larger then a larger bike smaller. I feel if i dont need the larger bike, why bother? I feel 'more one' with the extended length 17". I felt the 19" was fine for pushing around on road, but when it came to offroad it got in the way when i was moving around it and was slightly harder to control.

I also ended up in the same boat testing out the 17"med Cannondale and that was a nice fit, but i have made the 17" XtC with the 110mm stem about the same length!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info fellas...I ended up with a 19" and 110mm stem. Fits like a glove.

Members who have read this thread: 0