XTC Composite- Mtbr.com

Thread: XTC Composite

Mar 2007

XTC Composite

Hi,

I'm looking to get an XTC composite hardtail. I currently ride a Stumpy FSR - medium size.
    I was wondering whether to get the 17 or 19 inch Giant. The 19 has exactly the same eff. top tube as my Stumpy but I was a bit unsure about the standover height. I'm 5ft10.5 and my inseam to floor is 34 inch. My dealer and the Giant 'handbook' say the 19 is right for 5ft6 to 5ft11....and I was just wondering how other XTC Comp' riders found the sizing ?
    I used to ride a Trek 9.9 in large (19.5) but found it too big for me, however I have heard that the Trek sizing is on the big size and much more stretched than the Giant. My instinct is to go for the 19 as the top tube is right for me and the standover shouldn't be an issue as the bike is quite low anyway, esp. with the 80mm fork.....but I'm open to any advice.

Many thanks.

May contain nuts
    19" will be spot on. (5'11" on a 19" xtc)

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    19" will be spot on. (5'11" on a 19" xtc)
    +1 for you; current composite frames have essentially the original 'xtc' xc geometry; I've been riding this geo. daily for five years now: at 5'9" with a 33 true inseam, the 17 (ridden two years) was just a bit 'small' for me; the 19 fits me, and would certainly fit you, perfectly.

Jan 2007

Which frame size?

Quote Originally Posted by iggy giant
    +1 for you; current composite frames have essentially the original 'xtc' xc geometry; I've been riding this geo. daily for five years now: at 5'9" with a 33 true inseam, the 17 (ridden two years) was just a bit 'small' for me; the 19 fits me, and would certainly fit you, perfectly.
    I'm having the same query here as well. I'm 5ft 8-9 with 30 inseam. Is the 19" frame suitable for me? I had a 19" Mongoose Wing Comp Pro and found its a little too big for me. Currently riding a Reign 18" and just suit me find. I'm having trouble to go with a 17" or a 19"....any help? cheers.

mtbr member
    the 17" is quite small, in fact I think it is size small and 19 is the medium. Try one out at the shop but I'm sure the 17" is more for 5'5" / 5'7" ish.

Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Benno
    the 17" is quite small, in fact I think it is size small and 19 is the medium. Try one out at the shop but I'm sure the 17" is more for 5'5" / 5'7" ish.
    Been to quite a few bike shop around where I lived but no one has a XTC composite

Oct 2006
    I'm 5'10" and I ride a 19"...go the for the 19", it should be the right size. I rode a 17" and it was way small.

Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Seltzer
    I'm 5'10" and I ride a 19"...go the for the 19", it should be the right size. I rode a 17" and it was way small.
    Thanks. I will be heading down to one of the LBS to test a similar 19" and test if it suit me.

Members who have read this thread: 0