Would you choose a used '18 Advanced 0 or a new '18 Advanced 2?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Would you choose a used '18 Advanced 0 or a new '18 Advanced 2?

Buying one or the other tomorrow. The used Advanced 0 belongs to a semi-sponsored rider of Giant. I know his mechanic, and the bike is ridden a lot, but also maintained well. Front wheel was replaced (bent), brake pads replaced, chain replaced a couple times (to maximize life of cassette, chainring, pulleys,etc). Gives an idea of how much it's been ridden. Overall, though, good condition.

On the other hand is a basically brand new '18 Advanced 2.

Advanced 0 - RockShox Pike Fork, Super Deluxe rear shock, X01 groupset, 1x12, Guide brakes

Advanced 2 - RockShox Revelation Fork, Deluxe rear shock, SLX groupset, 1x11, SLX brakes

Help me see the trees *and* the forest :-)

Thanks!!

Not a role model
    Since you're asking me which I'd choose out of those, I'd choose the 0, but I know how to fix up bikes and have extensive "bench stock". Your wording seems to imply that the 2 isn't actually with warranty.

Don't know how you are with fixing stuff up, and how well prepared you are for part failures, but if it's true that the 2 isn't with warranty, I'd still probably say the 0 is the better choice of the two, if you were paying the same. Not sure what a races would be done on a Trance (you didn't say, but deduced from the spec), that a pro would be riding it, but w/e. You know his mechanic and I guess that's worth something vaguely similar to a warranty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    Since you're asking me which I'd choose out of those, I'd choose the 0, but I know how to fix up bikes and have extensive "bench stock". Your wording seems to imply that the 2 isn't actually with warranty.

Don't know how you are with fixing stuff up, and how well prepared you are for part failures, but if it's true that the 2 isn't with warranty, I'd still probably say the 0 is the better choice of the two, if you were paying the same. Not sure what a races would be done on a Trance (you didn't say, but deduced from the spec), that a pro would be riding it, but w/e. You know his mechanic and I guess that's worth something vaguely similar to a warranty.

Correct, neither have a warranty. My 2008 Trance 2 has only had one issue ever, and thatís a cracked derailleur pulley. Iím not terriblyyyy worried about warranty. But who knows. I have a great LBS, so not overly concerned. Meaning, any one part (cassette, derailleur, etc) isnít too expensive.

If the mechanic wasnít in the picture, Iíd be worried.

Thanks for your thoughts. Iíll try to gauge how much life the components have left, which is one of my main concerns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk