Will a 20.5" NRS be O.K. for me?- Mtbr.com

Feb 2004

Will a 20.5" NRS be O.K. for me?

I'm 6'3" and weigh 175 lbs. I have the chance to buy a friends 20.5" NRS. I've always wanted an NRS, but am worried that this might not be big enough. I usually ride an XL, and I think the 20.5" is a large. Any thoughts to help me out?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

may be too small

I am 6'2" and like my 20.5" NRS. my only complaint is that I think it is too short in the top tube. Look for a 22.5" NRS. I have seen a couple on e-bay. I am looking for one myself.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    You're probably borderline based on your height so it'd probably come down to preference. I'm somewhere around 6'1"-6'2", ride a large and like it. The good news is that it's your friend's bike. First off you know where it's been and how it's been maintained. Second - have him let you ride it a couple times and see what you think.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

Upgrade Addict

I ride a large

I'm 6'2" and 185. Fits like a glove.

mtbr member
    6'1" 170 lbs and 20.5 frame size and I love the fit.

Remember this, a bigger bike will have a longer wheel base and be harder to manauver and throw around. It will however let you stretch out a bit.

TR
    Angry bunny
    6'3" and 20.5" NRS
    I sometimes think it looks small but it feels great to ride.

Feb 2004

... and if we just ...

Not the same height as you guys but here is my two cents. I am 5"10' 180lbs and just bought a Med NRS1. I though it looked a little small (I was riding a large Cannonade) and was worried I should have bought a large. I kind of had a complex over the "med" vs "LARGE" but I came to realize that was just my insecurities talking . 50 miles on this bike and it fits like a glove. Shorter wheel base is much more responsive around corners compared to the large cannonade. I can effortlessly pick the front and rear up on the technical stuff. Plus the med is little lighter then the large. Ask your friend if you can borrow it for a day and put some miles on. If it is comfortable than go for it. Go to your LBS that carries Giant and have them size it up for you. If you are getting a good deal and you fit between L and XL you can always change out the post, stem and/or bars for a better fit and will still get the advantages I have found listed above.

Sprocket

Members who have read this thread: 0