Wider bars on a Anthem?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Wider bars on a Anthem?

Has anyone put wider bars and shorter stem on their Anthem? Just curious to see how it handles.

WillWorkForTrail
    That's fairly none specific. As long as you keep things relatively equal, it should handle ok, provided you don't shorten things up so much that you move your weight back. For what it's worth, my 2013 Anthem 29er came with 690 bars and a 100mm stem. After some messing around, I finally ended up with 730mm bars and kept the 100mm stem because we have some steep climbs in places here.

mtbr member
    Post deleted........
    "In dog beers......... I only had one"

mtbr member
    May 2012
    How tall are you?

I set up the cock pit for my wife's anthem at 40mm stem and 740mm handle bar width. She's 5'2" and I'm 5'3". She has long arms and legs and the setup is great both of us. Could do 50mm stem with 740mm wide hbar and move the saddle forward.
    '18 SC Tallboy CC_Wife
    '17 Giant Anthem Adv_Kid
    '17 Ibis Mojo 3
    '17 SC Bronson CC

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    It's a 2013 Anthem with 26" wheels. Going downhill in the mountains the steering is just a little to quick just want to slow it down a little. It came stock with 685mm bars and 90mm stem thinking about going with 760mm bars and 60mm or 50 mm stem. I don't want to lighten up the front anymore.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrider059 View Post
    It's a 2013 Anthem with 26" wheels. Going downhill in the mountains the steering is just a little to quick just want to slow it down a little. It came stock with 685mm bars and 90mm stem thinking about going with 760mm bars and 60mm or 50 mm stem. I don't want to lighten up the front anymore.
    That is an extremely drastic change for any bike.

The geometry of that frame is also not built around that sort of cockpit the way more modern bikes are, so it is likely that while that change might do what you want, it will create other problems.

You will probably need to limit yourself to a much more modest change, esp on the older geo frame.

Bars are easy these days since they are meant to be cut down. So you can try 760mm and still wind up at 720mm without spending more. But with stems, try dropping 10mm or so at a time. A 20mm change is considered large.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrider059 View Post
    If you want to slow the steering down - remember, that's a very steep HA XC bike - don't bother shortening the stem at first. Just get wider bars. Maybe someone you know has something wider laying around you can play with some. But shortening the stem is how you make up for the speed decrease you get in steering input from making the bars wider, and only partly to adjust fit for the wider bar.

mtbr member
    The Anthem is known as the euthanasia bike in Giant's range due to its steep headangle, lesser experienced riders often get speared by their own handlebars when crashing bad. It is important to remember that running a wider bar just worsens the situation as the "spear" is longer and more fatal so be careful.