Who else wants to see a Giant 29er?!- Mtbr.com
    I live to bike

Who else wants to see a Giant 29er?!

Ok. our Giant rep told me a few months ago that Giant isn't joining the 29er market because it is only a "niche market". They would sell too few too make it worthwhile. (Which makes no sense to me, since Giant DID jump on the stupid "chopper" bandwagon a couple years ago, and those silly Stillettos never left any of the shops I have worked at without being Significantly discounted! As if those weren't a niche!).

Anyway, if anyone can make a nice, affordable 29er, it is Giant. And you KNOW they are likely already producing a bunch of 29ers for other companies!

So come on everybody, chime in with what Giant 29er you'd like to see, and I'll steer my rep to this forum. Maybe we can convince Giant to produce a 29er or two for 2009.

I want to see at least these three 29ers:

1. Yukon 29er: Equipped like the Yukon 26er, MSRP about $550. (Should not be hard to do at all!) [2008 Yukon 26er retails for $500] Cheap and slightly less aggressive geo.
    2. XTC 29er. Equipped like the 2008 XTC 1. MSRP around $1000. [2008 XTC 1 26er retails for $850]. Super xc bike, ready to race.
    3. Trance 29er. Equipped like the 2007 Trance 2. MSRP around $2000. [2007 Trance 2 retails for $1700.] Plush all mountain machine that will take you anywhere you want to go!

These should not be hard for Giant to produce and I believe they would me widely popular. I figure the 29er versions would probably be a little more expensive than the 26ers, but not incredibly so (as demonstrated by my suggested MSRP).

Dream Machine: Reign 29er.

jones'in
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle
    (Which makes no sense to me, since Giant DID jump on the stupid "chopper" bandwagon a couple years ago, and those silly Stillettos never left any of the shops I have worked at without being Significantly discounted! As if those weren't a niche!)
    So, maybe they learned their lesson.......

Honestly, I agree with them. I'd rather have them invest their R&D into the bikes that they've got (which are already pretty awesome) and subsequently totally own the market for mainstream, high-quality bikes. Focusing on what is truly a niche market doesn't seem like their cup 'o tea...which is fine w/ me.

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

mtbr member
    triple post?
    Last edited by majura; 08-04-2007 at 03:12 AM.

mtbr member
    triple post?

mtbr member
    Also remember that the 29er movement is at its largest in the USA only. Yes, they've penetrated other markets- but no where near the same as the US. Giant sells many bikes and those bikes end up all around the world- so financially not as secure as a 26" wheeled MTB . Also, Giant have a small MTB R&D team (contrary to popular belief). Given that they've probably spent most of the past year fine-tuning the Trance and Reign.

My two cents.

Come on winter!
    Could care less about a 29er.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I live to bike
    Wow. no love for the 29er from the Giant crowd.

As for 29ers being a niche--it is only so because of the price. At our shop, a lot of people show a lot of interest in the 29ers we carry from other brands, but most of our customers purchase in the $400-$500 range, which just isn't available in a 29er, yet (unless it's singlespeed and rigid--which is a niche market). If Giant made cheap front-suspension, geared 29ers available, they would no longer be a niche. So it's a niche due to price, not style or function, as most of our customers easily understand the benefits of the larger wheel..

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Giant is a pretty innovative company and I wouldn't put it beyond them to be lurking in this forum. They did in fact come out with a track/fixte road bike with the bowery in 2007 and i was very surprised to see this in our dealer cataloge. I say be patient and voice your desires, they might just listen to you. Or they might be already thinking about it as many other companies have already done the same and jumped onto the bandwagon. I do know that they (Giant) wants to be right up at the front when they do things.
    ~ferretboy
    I'm not that fast....You're just slow.
    Titus Racer-X 80, Giant Reign 1, Fat Chance Titanium

mtbr member
    I'd love to see a 29" giant dually. 5" travel F & R. Spec level between the Trance 1 and Trance 2. x.9 drivetrain, cross-max wheels, great fork.

Given that Specialized has come out with a 4" travel FS bike, I'd be very surprised if Giant didn't step up to the plate. Giant could even lead the market if they produced a 5" bike (which is the gap in the market...)

Anybody listening? Giant management, just take a trip over the the 29er board and see how many people are on it...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I love my Fisher Xcaliber for the gravel roads around here in SE Ohio. In fact, it has been my XC race bike so far this year ... for one more race.

My '04 XTC is getting an overhaul of new components and I'm going back to that as my race bike. I'm looking into an Anthem for the '08 season.

The 29er just does'nt handle as well as the XTC ... and of course it's heavier.

Derailleurless
    They really can't be expected to produce a 29" Trance, Reign or Anthem until Dave Weagle releases a 29"er dw-link... until then, they've got nothing to copy!

All the same, I'd still like to see it happen.
    speedub.nate
    · MTBR Hiatus UFN ·

I live to bike
    ok, so we may finally see a Giant giant-wheeled bike! According to my rep, Giant is likely to introduce a geared hardtail 29er next year, priced about $800-900. Yeah, only the one model, so unfortunately no 29er Trance, however cool that would be. It's a start--and if Giant is in the field, prices will come down, and the masses will be able start enjoying the benefits of the big wheels!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Your post is interesting. I spoke to a Giant rep yesterday and asked him to place an order for an Anthem 29er. Ha ha. I asked him if there were any plans to introduce a 29er, and he stated that Giant looks upon 29ers as "a shop guy's bike", whatever that means, and (the rep smiling) that he hasnt' heard of any new news about a new 29er model. Hmm.

I live to bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxson
    Your post is interesting. I spoke to a Giant rep yesterday and asked him to place an order for an Anthem 29er. Ha ha. I asked him if there were any plans to introduce a 29er, and he stated that Giant looks upon 29ers as "a shop guy's bike", whatever that means, and (the rep smiling) that he hasnt' heard of any new news about a new 29er model. Hmm.
    Our rep told us the main reason Giant hasn't jumped on board yet is that 29ers are mainly only an American trend so far, and since there isn't a big market for them anywhere else yet, they've been hesitant to introduce one. (Because Giant doesn't make bikes in small numbers) Of course, since they are actually in fact manufacturing most of the 29ers out there, they finally decided they may as well make at least one model.

You'd think it would be more reason to make a bike if it is what the "shop guys" ride, for us "shop guys" tend to sell what we ride, since we like what we ride.

And I have heard rumors that Adam Craig has asked Giant to make him an Anthem 29er (though I don't believe that there is any such bike in the works yet, even for him).

Jan 2004
    FWIW, here's my take (gonna get flamed, but don't care!): if I were 'Giant' (I'm just a loyal G. owner/rider), I'd perhaps consider a 'one-off' 29er h/t for the N. American market, BUT I'd be taking a good, long, hard look at the potential of 650B (there's a thread below on this re. Anthem etc.; Pacenti has chimed in). I'm, for one, pretty convinced, at least in theory. Why? 1. A good chunk of the 'roll over anything' advantage which 29er unquestionably has over 26, but 2. without the many downsides of 29er, which include a) slightly less technical agility b) slightly, but to me very noticeable, more sluggish acceleration/response (a combination of inevitably greater rotating mass (wheel weight) and long chainstays/chain), c) inherently weaker wheel structure, and d) the many compromises in frame geometry necessary to accomodate the big wheel/tire. 29er's, it would seem, do work really well for big, strong riders who are solidly 6+ft. But for MOST of us, a few inches either side of around 5'9", the downsides, I think, outweigh that one unquestioned advantage. To my mind, 650B as it is being developed by Pacenti and others is in fact what the 'mtb standard' should have been all along; 29er proponents are right that '26' was a kind of 'historical accident'; but so too is '29' (a bigger wheel? well, let's slap a 2"+ tire on easily available 700c rims). It may turn out that 650B is 'just right' for most riders, all over the world, most of the time, and if one or more of the big players like Giant gives it a push, I predict it will just take off. Hint, hint!

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by iggy giant
    FWIW, here's my take (gonna get flamed, but don't care!): if I were 'Giant' (I'm just a loyal G. owner/rider), I'd perhaps consider a 'one-off' 29er h/t for the N. American market, BUT I'd be taking a good, long, hard look at the potential of 650B (there's a thread below on this re. Anthem etc.; Pacenti has chimed in). I'm, for one, pretty convinced, at least in theory. Why? 1. A good chunk of the 'roll over anything' advantage which 29er unquestionably has over 26, but 2. without the many downsides of 29er, which include a) slightly less technical agility b) slightly, but to me very noticeable, more sluggish acceleration/response (a combination of inevitably greater rotating mass (wheel weight) and long chainstays/chain), c) inherently weaker wheel structure, and d) the many compromises in frame geometry necessary to accomodate the big wheel/tire. 29er's, it would seem, do work really well for big, strong riders who are solidly 6+ft. But for MOST of us, a few inches either side of around 5'9", the downsides, I think, outweigh that one unquestioned advantage. To my mind, 650B as it is being developed by Pacenti and others is in fact what the 'mtb standard' should have been all along; 29er proponents are right that '26' was a kind of 'historical accident'; but so too is '29' (a bigger wheel? well, let's slap a 2"+ tire on easily available 700c rims). It may turn out that 650B is 'just right' for most riders, all over the world, most of the time, and if one or more of the big players like Giant gives it a push, I predict it will just take off. Hint, hint!
    Iggy "gets it"!

PS: many builders including Ritchey, Zinn, and *I think* even Specialized were using 650B wheels back in the late 70's -early 80's until the tires became unavailble and were forced into using the 26" wheel format.

Jan 2004
    Mr. Pacenti: I 'get it' largely thanks to posts of yours (and articles/blogs etc.) I've been following!! I got interested in all this, in fact, precisely because I love mtb's for their versatility: my bike is my one, 'do everything with a change of wheel/tire' bike; I commute 4500 or so kms/year, on road tires, do a few singletrack outings a season, and one or two longer 'tours' as/when time permits. BUT I've always thought that "if only the wheel size allowed for a decently wide (1.5" or so) but still very light road tire that PRESERVED a decent total wheel diameter (for gearing/roll-over), but still allowed for a decently wide (2" or so) off-road tire, also still light", THEN one would have the best possible set of compromises. And, a LOT of mtb's get used just this way. 700c disc wheels work of course in a 26er frame, with narrow/high pressure slicks, but that's not my thing! Then, along comes 650B -- "that's what I'm talking about"! Just seems to me it (potentially) works: tried/true 26er geometry (xc, dh, 4x, whatever) with only the slightest necessary change in geometry, including f/s frames; aesthetically proportionate for a very wide range of riders (big, big guys do look silly on 26ers, but people my size (5'9") look idiotic on a 29er; and most significantly the sheer adaptability re. tire width/tread for everything from technical off-road to slick road to touring. It all just makes sense to me, so hats off to you and others for trying (can't wait, by the way, for the Rawland site to be up!).

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I have to admit I'd be curious to see a Trance-X in a 29" wheeled version, but I think fork options need to mature a bit. Hopefully by the time I'm ready to get into a different bike, I'll have some more options available to try out.

Right now, the Niner RIP 9 and the Ventana El Rey are the bikes in that class I'd like to swing a leg over. The RIP 9 looks to be similar to the Maestro and the El Rey is just flat out bad-arse.

Jun 2008
    I was out test riding hardtail 29ers this weekend. Found what seems like an almost perfect bike in the Specialized Stumpjumper 29er, but I'm right between sizes in the 21" & 23". If Giant came out with a nice hardtail 29er in 22" I'd happily buy the first one!

mtbr member
    Obviously they’ll probably test the market with another rubbish 29er HT but I’d love to see a full sus bike, come on Anthem X 29er!

Finally some opposition to the Jet 9.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    They really can't be expected to produce a 29" Trance, Reign or Anthem until Dave Weagle releases a 29"er dw-link... until then, they've got nothing to copy!

All the same, I'd still like to see it happen.
    Dude, you realize that Dave Weagle created the dw-link to get around Specialized's Horst link patents, Ellsworth's patents, and the VPP patents, right? Yes, each has different ride characteristics, but the concept is the same. Basically, it's a four-bar system with short links. Not to mention that all of those designs probably came from automobile suspension systems or machine linkages that have been around for years. Very few things are original anymore.

As far as 29ers go, to each his own. I have enough trouble keeping my 26" wheels to stay true and still be light, and the whole point of mountain biking is the obstacles and irregularities in the trail. If you want a perfectly smooth, boring ride, get a friggin rode bike. Giant makes a lot of those. I can see it being an advantage for a small segment of the mountain bike market, but let the small companies have something!

lookin' for a hill
    oh, what a few years can do....

I live to bike
    Quote Originally Posted by nikwashere
    oh, what a few years can do....
    yep, took a few years, but we're finally seeing what I was asking for! Entry level hardtails, and a full-squish. (Still hoping for a Trance 29er, but the Anthem will more than do!) The base Anthem is superbly well specc'ed for the price.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

Members who have read this thread: 0