When do I change bearings in my trance?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Cool-blue Rhythm When do I change bearings in my trance?

What are the signs that it's time. Grinding? excessive play? What is excessive play? I ride in North Florida where sand is a constant issue.Should I just change them once every couple of years. I ride about 30 -35 miles a week.Thanks

Come on winter!
    I think most of us have noticed a knocking sound as the first indication that your bearings may need replacement.

You could let all of the air out of your shock and then look closely at your pivots as you cycle the suspension through it's range. Step on your pedal from the side as well to get some lateral forces going. If you see any play at all then it's time.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I AM I AM
    Keep in mind (as I recently found) one of the first things that you will probably need to replace is the shock bushes (bushings?). I noticed when pulling up / down on my seat there was a bit of play, up/down movement that shouldn't have been there. I checked by grabbing the seat tube to confirm it wasn't the seat.

I thought it may have been the bearings, but I have an '06 and the '05 were the ones with known problems. I made sure all the bearings were tight and wasn't sure what else it could be. In the end it did turn out just to be the shock bushings.

For bearing problems I would expect to feel or hear something in the rear end. Good pointers on how to check by YTC 100.
    If in doubt you can open them up and check (be careful prizing the seal off though).

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Just wondering

I have a '05 Trance 2 and have been wondering if the bearing problem is a prevalent issue. That is, does it appear in every bike? Or only those which have been ridden hard?

I do some drops and use the bike as a cross-country machine most of the time. It has around 1000 km on it.

Really worried if the bearing problem will appear on my bike. Therefore, I have been wondering if it will appear on every bike that came from the 2005 production.

Come on winter!
    Quote Originally Posted by kingswoodkc
    I have a '05 Trance 2 and have been wondering if the bearing problem is a prevalent issue. That is, does it appear in every bike? Or only those which have been ridden hard?

I do some drops and use the bike as a cross-country machine most of the time. It has around 1000 km on it.

Really worried if the bearing problem will appear on my bike. Therefore, I have been wondering if it will appear on every bike that came from the 2005 production.

The '05 bearings were improperly spec'd and it seems many people with these bikes have had problems. Typically the bearings just wear out over time. 1000km is relatively low mileage though so I wouldn't start to worry yet. My first set were replaced at 3000km. Your bike will start to make noise, you'll know when they start to go. Knock, knock, who's there? Trance pivot bearings that's who.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Aug 2006
    A word to the wise, do it now.

FYI, you should just factor replacing the bearings immediately as preventative maintenance. All the large cheap frame makers use cheap a$$ bearings. Don't screw around and just order an Enduro, or equivalent, kit Then, you'll won't to worry about potential frame damage or a long hike back to the car.

mtbr member
    Hello gentlemen, I have an 05 Trance 2..definitely have fried bearings (2,000+miles, a "crunch" and I can see the bearings behind the washer on the pivot):...is it a warranty thing or should I just order new ones from someone....if I should buy, can anyone recommend a good replacement? Thanks In advance Andy

Aug 2006

mtbr member
    Thanks slacker...feel stupid for not looking further down below before posting. have a good one.

mtbr member
    As far as I remember hearing/reading GIANT "may" have resolved the issue towards the very end of the 2005 production, but not certain. As YTC100 said best way to check is to let the air out the shock and cycle the suspension, put your hand on the rockers, swing arm over the bearings etc to feel for wear. Also the step on the pedal and try to flex the frame will tell you more specifically if the main rocker bearings are gone that mount onto the frame. The knocking is a tell tale, but so's the rear end feeling "washy" another good one to watch out for.

If you're not confident about changing the bearings, take the suspension apart, pop off the dust seals and see what condition they're in. If they're still in decent condition just pack them with some good, water proof grease and wait till you build up more courage - took me a while to get up the courage to first do mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Members who have read this thread: 0