Well it happened today: Broken Skareb (x-post from shock board)- Mtbr.com
    [paste title here]

Upset Well it happened today: Broken Skareb (x-post from shock board)

After being warned by some NRS owners, My skareb fork broke. Here's the stroy:

Well today I went for a ride at Santiago Oaks. As I was climbing up a technical hill I heard a weird noise. After that my wheel had started rubbing the reverse arch of the Skareb. At first I thought I had bent the skewer and when I checked to see, it wasnt bent. Well after checking that the wheel was still hitting the arch. Well I inspected the fork and I discovered big crack underneath the right side of the arch. Well my ride was completely over because it was too dangerous, so I decided to walk the bike back to the truck. Well after getting to my truck I took my bike down to the LBS and they were surprise to see it cracked. Now im just waiting for them to call Giant and Manitou about this problem. I just wanted to know if this was common on the Skarebs, b/c Ive heard that it was. Also if it was a defective arch and Manitou does decide to replace it, should I stay with the Skareb of go with the Black. BTW I have a 03 Giant NRS 2 with a Skareb Comp Fork. Thxs for your input

I took some pics of the Cracked area also...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Keep Pedaling

\|/Home of the Braves\|/

Been there

That looks very familiar. Good thing you weren't hurt!

I broke mine last fall - same bike, same fork. Manitou offered me free 04 lowers for the Skareb or an 03 Black Elite 80/100 for $175. They were very responsive. I emailed them anad got a call back plus they got back to my shop quickly. A very positive customer experience, act reasonable and they'll take care of you well.

I went for the Black and really like it. It's more rigid than the Skareb and seems more sprung to my liking too. I thought the Skareb's stock springs were a little too wimpy. The Black gives a nice ride in 80 mode and that's what I generally use it in for basic XC. If I have a downhill or some drops coming up I will switch it to 100mm and it changes the geometry and loosens up the preload which is great for that kinda stuff. The switch takes 5-10 seconds stopped. It does bob some in 100 mode but it's not too bad and if you're hammering you'd probably rather have the more aggressive geometry of the 80mm stroke. I definitely think that anything more than 100mm on that bike is too much. It would be too slack and wouldn't match the rear well.

I highly recommend the upgrade, but who knows what they'll offer you. They may have had a bunch of the Black Elites in stock when I got mine...

By the way, I weigh 180 and have a large NRS2 for what it's worth.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

\|/Home of the Braves\|/

Hey, what tires are those?

Like 'em?
    Big hoopy.

[paste title here]
    Hey thanks for the info. The tires are WTB Mutano Raptors. 2.4 in the front and 2.24 in the rear. These tires are really nice for SoCal conditions. The work pretty nice in loose conditions. However, its been about 500 miles and Ive been noticing some cracks in the rubber. Im gonna use them til they're worn and Prob get the same ones. I might try the Panaracer 2.4 FR b/c my bro has them on his 03 Jamis XLT 1.0 (swingarm cracked twice ) Anyways, the Mutanos are pretty sweet tires for the SoCal conditions but they are terrible in the mud, picks mud up and it stays.
    Keep Pedaling

\|/Home of the Braves\|/

Best of luck with the fork

I have Fire XC 2.1's and they do pretty well all around but don't roll as fast as the Hutchinsons that came on the ride. I probably have dif conditions than you here in GA, there's definitely mud at times!
    Big hoopy.