VT still the one?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

VT still the one?

Just wondering how many of us VT riders are still around 3years after the end of production?

My 03' VT2 is still going strong after many upgrades, new legs up front (Fox Talas RLC), new feet (sunringle wheel set/XT hubs), new tranny (Sram X9 shifters & rear deralliur), among others? Rides better than ever, maybe cause it's engine it finally in better shape. The bike is all scratched up just like it's rider, we've become use to each others little quirks, the bike patiently endures my off trail antics and I ignore it's chainsucking onriness.

Gaint got it right with this one.

Happy Trails
    Jolly

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jollybeggar
    Just wondering how many of us VT riders are still around 3years after the end of production?

My 03' VT2 is still going strong after many upgrades, new legs up front (Fox Talas RLC), new feet (sunringle wheel set/XT hubs), new tranny (Sram X9 shifters & rear deralliur), among others? Rides better than ever, maybe cause it's engine it finally in better shape. The bike is all scratched up just like it's rider, we've become use to each others little quirks, the bike patiently endures my off trail antics and I ignore it's chainsucking onriness.

Gaint got it right with this one.

Happy Trails
    Jolly
    Yeah, us Reign X riders are so jealous

mtbr member

Hey! Reign

Hey its fine if you've got a Reign, it might be a better bike than the VT, all I'm saying is the VT still rocks after all these years. I've seen more photos of trashed Reigns than trashed VTs but that might be because you Reign owners ride harder. My VT serves me well as an all day trail bike. It handles everything it was designed for and more, climbs like a goat, rails the downhill.

I hope you Reign owners are having as much fun with your bikes as I am with my VT, and I hope your Reign keeps going after 4years of tearing up the trails like my VT has.

Happy Trails
    Jolly

I AM I AM
    Isn't the VT a 5" trail bike? Reign X is hardly comparable, just like comparing it to a FSRXC?

I entered the whole dual suspension market after the VT was gone so don't really know.

It's always good to hear someone appreciates their bike after owning it for quite a while like that. Iv'e only had my trance for a year (had my Hardrock Comp for 5yrs previously) and I hope I still love the trance in 4yrs time and more as I do now.

Doesn't matter what you've got as long as it suits your riding style and trails and most importantly is fun or rewarding to ride. Of course a makeover in time doesn't hurt one bit, and that's what it comes down to eventurally, giving the current trusty steed a makeover and some new bits or buying a completely new steed.

mtbr member

5.75inches

It's actually got 5" or 5.75" of rear travel. I ride mine in the 5" setting, never needed more for trail riding. It will handle a two foot drop in that setting, the bike isn't designed for more than that.

Funning I haven't heard from another VT owner, maybe there out tearing up the trails on their VTs

Jolly

I AM I AM
    It's kind of funny hanging around on these forums. I generally can't ride on the weekends when my husband is working as I have two little kids to look after (I ride out the back with the kids instead). But something I certainly have noticed (more so on the Aussie forums I frequent) is that posting drops of quite a bit when the weekend rolls around, and you've got it, generally a sign that people are out riding!

Motion activated
    I've seen more photos of trashed Reigns than trashed VTs ...
    Aside from the (easily fixed) bearing issue, I haven't seen any trashed Reigns

Not saying it can't happen, but I'm honestly curious what you've seen or heard.

BTW awesome that you're still loving your old VT.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    No more VT for me. There was nothing wrong with it, just found a nice Intense 5.5 frame on clearnance so I switched.

Other than that, I'd still be on the VT.
    I'd rather be riding my bike...

mtbr member
    I want to see a pic of a VT, post em up.

mtbr member

Here's mine

Not the best picture, running my winter tires, normally I run Panaracer Cinders.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Incredulous bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    I've seen more photos of trashed Reigns than trashed VTs but that might be because you Reign owners ride harder.
    I haven't seen any trashed Reigns
    My trash'd VT.

My trash'd Reign.

The VT was a right nice bicycle. I was a huge fan of the VT for the 2 years that I rode it. It wasn't until I started riding the Reign and later put a good 160mm fork on it (Wotan), that I decided that I enjoy a fairly slack geometry for even tight northeast singletrack. So I don't think I'd like the VT now, and that's without even talking about the suspension differences.

mtbr member

Wow!

I'm thinking you need a full downhill monster the way you trash bikes. Maybe a Glory is what you should be riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Still on the VT

Just replaced the fork with a RS Revelation U-turn coil. Replaced the wheelset a few months ago with a Cane Creek Terros Disc set that I found on super sale. Shock was rebuild last year. The bike a way more capable than I will ever be so I do not see changing any time soon.
    I bike; therefore, I work

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by no one in particular
    My trash'd VT.

My trash'd Reign.

The VT was a right nice bicycle. I was a huge fan of the VT for the 2 years that I rode it. It wasn't until I started riding the Reign and later put a good 160mm fork on it (Wotan), that I decided that I enjoy a fairly slack geometry for even tight northeast singletrack. So I don't think I'd like the VT now, and that's without even talking about the suspension differences.
    Thanks for posting up those pics. First cracked Reign I've seen... did Giant take care of you?
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapmanMTB27
    I want to see a pic of a VT, post em up.
    Check out the existing VT thread, lots of nice pics posted there.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=146624
    I'd rather be riding my bike...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Still riding mine, but I'll have to look for a new bearing set.
    I'm sensing a small fatigue in the frame as I'm riding the bike harder than before.
    It's not a show stopper, probably just aluminum fatigue.

After coming back from Montreal Bike Trade Show, I didn't see anything that would make me wanna change my VT. Although new suspension technology is sure tempting, I was specifically looking for the Giant Trance 1 or the X1.
    So I'm still debating whether if I should keep my VT and do some maintenance (which includes a new fork) or make the move to the Trance.

Nevertheless, I love my VT, it looks good, climbs great and handles quite a lot of punishment. It was the first XC bike on which I've grown to love the downhill portion of my XC rides.

Keep on riding your VT!
    Trankill,
    Marin Mount Vision 5.7 '09

Jun 2007
    Those remind me of the META 5.5 bikes, which people rave about.

Funny looking suspension, but must work great!

I don't think you can go wrong with Giant at all. They always seem to have just perfect geometry. Even the crappy $300 Giants ride great!

By far one of the most underated companies.

Incredulous bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    Thanks for posting up those pics. First cracked Reign I've seen... did Giant take care of you?
    They did. As I meintion'd in the link above, I broke the frame on a Thursday, and I had the new one on the next Tuesday. They ship'd the frame the day after I broke it. The color match'd and everything.

And now I'm trying my best to break the new one. I don't expect to succeed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

My VT

I like the 5" setting more as the SPV works better in this mode.

I also own a 05' Trance 2 which pedals faster than the VT. But the VT seems to be able to take more abuse.

Now, I use the VT as an All Mountain machine and the Trance 2, a cross-country bike.

Both are good bikes. It really depends on how you use them. Trance is more efficient while the VT is more solid.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Still on mine!

..and even though the gearhead in me wants something newer, I hardly ever find it wanting on the trail, performance-wise.

The rear end isnt the stiffest around, but it still handles very well, climbs pretty well (seated) and descends like a beast. I've ridden a pal's SC Heckler and they're quite similar, ride-wise.

FS and SS rider

My VT is still going strong...

I've only had mine a couple years now, and admittedly I too have been tempted to "trade up." But my bike fits me like a glove; TALAS RLC up front and Swinger 4-way w/ No-Tools-Adjust in the rear, SRAM grip shifts partnered with Juicy 5's....

Hard for me to get anything else when I am so comfortable and familiar with the bike's characteristics and strengths. I've built it quite light, but it can certainly take its hits!
    Just keep going....

mtbr member

Interesting! Nice build

One of the more unusual builds I've seen, looks real clean. Most folks build for bigger hits, yours seems almost like an XC build. I've got the Talas & 4-Way on mine, makes for a really smooth ride over some of the roughest trails. My VT takes some real punishment.

FS and SS rider

Riding with style

yours seems almost like an XC build.
    Yeah, I was leaning more towards XC. I like to think of myself as a "graceful" rider, mainly for my age and life stage (mid-thirties with wife and three kids). I used to be more bold.

Like you mentioned, mine did float very nicely over some terribly jagged rocky roads! Thank God for the suspension combo, eh?
    Just keep going....

mtbr member

VT life stage.

My VT is four years old, I'm 51, were like a couple of old buddies. We both creak and moan in places but we are ride better than ever. I'm at that stage in life where I don't heal as well as I use too so I try to be wise about riding sketchy sections, but I still try to push myself, to hone my skills. Here in the rooty and rocky northwest its best to have a lot of tools in your skills collection. The VT is a capable bike and usually will get through what ever I'm willing to try, so I've learned to push through my fear of crashing and let the bike roll. Its amzing what you can do with the VT if you trust it and have confidence.

Dec 2003

Bushing/Bearing Kit hard to come by

I have been riding my VT 1 for 3 years now. About 1.5 years ago, I had to replace the bushing kit. It was no problem, other than the fact I had to wait a couple of weeks becuase it is a special order...oh yea, and it is $100. The kit incudes all the bearings, plus the 2 black linkage pieces (connectors over the shock). The bearings recently disintegrated and I went to order a new kit and found out that Giant does not have these in stock! The VT 1 will not go without the parts.

I bought the bike at Performance, but they no longer sell Giant, and therefor have a very difficult time getting any assistance from the manufacturer. The other local shop does not really care to get involved and has not been helpful yet hooking me up with a Giant Rep. Does anyone know of a source of this part, and if not, does anyone know how to contact Giant directly?

Incredulous bastard
    Spongedog, you have lots of options. But the easiest one may be enduroforkseals.com.

Dec 2003
    You are my main man! They got the bearings. Do you know if the kits come with the linkage part where the bearings fit? (it is next to impossible to get the old bearings out of the linkage)
    Last edited by Spongedog; 09-19-2007 at 05:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    How many guys run a bash guard and a carbon flat bar on the same rig?

that said it is a pretty build

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Spongedong,

You may want to take a look at the following website. They have bearing kits for specific frames, including VT.

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id55.html

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Spongedog
    I have been riding my VT 1 for 3 years now. About 1.5 years ago, I had to replace the bushing kit. It was no problem, other than the fact I had to wait a couple of weeks becuase it is a special order...oh yea, and it is $100. The kit incudes all the bearings, plus the 2 black linkage pieces (connectors over the shock). The bearings recently disintegrated and I went to order a new kit and found out that Giant does not have these in stock! The VT 1 will not go without the parts.

I bought the bike at Performance, but they no longer sell Giant, and therefor have a very difficult time getting any assistance from the manufacturer. The other local shop does not really care to get involved and has not been helpful yet hooking me up with a Giant Rep. Does anyone know of a source of this part, and if not, does anyone know how to contact Giant directly?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

VT still going strong

G'day fellas,

VT still going strong. With a good Fox set-up it is perfect for Enduro (100km or 24 hour).
    Now have Anthem - for race. Trance - for a bit of fun. And a newly rebuilt VT2!
    After over 7500 XC km she was looking tired.

Thoughts on the polished frame. And, yes, the Giant logo on the front triangle is part of the polishing job.

regards
    Bear

mtbr member

Best VT

Best looking VT I've seen. Polished aluminum is so sexy, gives it that P51 look to the max.

Great build.

Dec 2003
    what do you use to polish the frame like that? Where did you get the graphics?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Polishing a VT frame in one easy lesson

G'day spongedog,

Ingredients:
    - one VT frame
    - various grits of wet'n'dry
    - one bucket of water
    - two sets of Giant frame markings (courtesy of ebay)

Process was simple:
    1. Strip the frame down and remove the bearings.
    2. Start with 360 grit wet'n'dry and spend about 15 hours getting a good finish with that.
    3. Move up to 600 grit & repeat. This one only takes about 4 hours.
    4. Move to 800 grit & repeat. Down to about two hours.
    5. Clean frame with hot water & a bit of dish washing liquid.
    6. Apply the big Giant frame markings.
    7. Move up through 1000, 1200, 1500, 3600 grit wet'n'dry - about four hours total for these runs.
    8. Wash frame again.
    9. Polish with Mirrorfinish Metal Polish (Aussie product used in car detailing) - the third run brings out the best.
    10. Apply the small Giant and VT markings.
    11. Clear coat frame. (It helps to have a spray painter in the family! Only cost me a slab)

The suspension rockers take about four hours total and I needed the Dremel tool with an abrasive head to get the anodized finish off. Polished the same way as the frame.
    Then installed new bearings and re-assembled.

About 50 hours work all up. As you can see, the rear triangle is only partly polished. I was just over it with the rear triangle so the main arms got polished and the rest got painted a Holden dark metallic grey.

Tips:
    Always sand wet. That dust is just lethal.
    Spend a lot of time with the 360 grit - the Giant hydroforming process puts a lot of scratches that are covered/filled by paint but very obvious on a bare frame.
    Be patient. The process can be torture or therapeutic depending upon your mind-set. If you are finding it torture, stop because you'll try short cuts and this creates more work.

Thanks to a Andrew (an ebayer that polished up a Giant STP frame and gave me the idea) and Mirrorfinish Metal Polish for answering bonehead questions.

If I ever polish a frame again, it'll be a hardtail! I really only perservered with this one because it was my VT.

Hope this assists.

Catcha,
    Bear

Members who have read this thread: 0