Used 2015 vs 2016 Trance 3, or Other Used Trance- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Used 2015 vs 2016 Trance 3, or Other Used Trance

I'm looking at two used Trance 3s, a 2015 and 2016. The specs on these bikes are similar. The 2016 has a RockShox Sektor Gold RL, the 2015 a RockShox Sektor Silver TK. Neither have boost, which i can live with at my price point. (The Trance 3 gets boost starting in 2017.) Looking for any thoughts on these two bikes or other Trances.

I currently have a 2009 Trance and love it, but it is getting old and i'd like bigger wheels. I like the Maestro suspension, Giant bikes seem to fit me well and offer good value. I figure i'll like the newer Trances, but will ride before i buy.
    Last edited by tenbsmith; 01-16-2019 at 12:54 PM. Reason: clarity

mtbr member
    I'd hold out for a '17 or newer. The geometry is noticeably better.
    Almost = Didn't

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Bumping. I just found a nice shape 2016 Trance 3 for $900. Iím a brand new mountain biker. Is this a decent price, or should I look at something newer with boost and wider tires/1x etc.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fats Waller View Post
    Bumping. I just found a nice shape 2016 Trance 3 for $900. Iím a brand new mountain biker. Is this a decent price, or should I look at something newer with boost and wider tires/1x etc.
    https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/Sear...83&model=78273

If the condition is very good/excellent the price is fair.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I think that's a good price on that bike. Bicyclebluebook.com is good, but most used bikes seem to go for more than their estimates in my limited observations.

That seems like an excellent bike for a beginner. Newer used bikes are harder to find and more expensive. The bike industry is constantly setting new standards, so you'll never be able to keep up even buying new. For example, boost is already outdated, the industry is on to Super Boost.

Keep in mind you'll need a bunch of other equipment in addition to the bike. Here's a quick list off the top of my head. Good to start with: Helmet, gloves, bike pants with chamois, bicycle tire pump, bicycle shock pump, spare inner tube, tire levers. Highly encouraged if you start riding on a regular basis: Riding glasses, hydration pack, portable tire pump, tire levers (these two allow you to fix flat trail-side), bike shoes.

If you're new to bikes, it'd be good to have someone experienced check out the bike before you buy. Or maybe meet at a bike shop and get them to look it over before buying (the shop is likely to want to charge a fee for this).

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Thanks for the reply- I'm a fairly experienced biker, and have several other bikes, so the gear is all there. It's just been road/vintage/commuter/adventure biking, and this would be my first step in to actual mountain biking since I sold my 2004 26er hardtail a couple years ago. I've ridden a couple rental bikes including 29er hardtails and a 27.5 Kona precept, and I know I'm not looking for something in the $2000+ range, so I thought an older model with decent parts would be a good place to start. I'm also looking at the Hawk Hill/Rift zone that I may be able to get with a decent discount, but it would still be over the $900 that the Trance 3 is being sold for.