Tried a Fox DPS 2017 shock on my Trance X 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Tried a Fox DPS 2017 shock on my Trance X 29er

For those of you curious about changing the shock on your Trance.

To complement the Pike I upgraded to last year, I decided to try a new shock to replace the 2014 Fox CTD that came with the bike.

Although I actually wanted to try Rock Shox, I couldnīt find one in the correct dimensions. So ended up with the 2017 DPS Factory. Tune ID is CWZD if you want to look it up.

Note that the EVOL can version isnīt available at this weird 7.25 x 1.75 size. However I suspect that because of the way the Trance suspension works, we donīt really need the extra help with initial stroke sensitivity anyway.

The swap was pretty much straight forward, nothing more than the bushings already on the new shock are needed. They need to be removed for the lower mount, and left in place for the upper one.
    I was somewhat impressed that the lower mount on the bike has bearings in both the frame and the linkage.

Impressions after the first couple of rides...
    A bit more comfortable on small variations in the surface like gravel etc, improving on the magic carpet ride.
    Other than that, thus far I notice no huge difference yet. Maybe I will if I ride it a couple of weeks and then switch back to the old one.

But at the very least: The tune seems to work, damping seems to be correct.
    Maybe itīll grow on me. But at least for now, strictly speaking, I probably wouldnīt recommend it as an "upgrade" over the old CTD because of the cost. I get the feeling other (hmm, lesser?) bikes may see more of a benefit.

Happy trails out there.

/Allan
    2016 Giant Glory 2.
    2014 Giant Trance 29er with various modifications.
    2013 Giant XTC 29er Composite.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks for posting, I am currently building a 2013 29er Trance X1 and need to buy a shock and fork. Been looking at what is out there but the tune seems illusive. From what I saw the standard tune for 2013 was CCRD. Is yours the same? Selling the old fork and shock perhaps?

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    I found a Debonaire'd Rockshox RT3 184x44 much nicer than the Fox DPS EVOL. In fact, I even liked the Fox Float DRCV slightly better than the EVOL. YMMV....
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    jaqkar: My 2014 standard shock is a Float CTD with custom tune ID CLHG.
    Will be kept as a spare though. Not sure about the fork but itīs infinitely better than the one which came on my 2013 XTC. Which is now upgraded... seems to work well for me at 120mm.

Cayenne_Pep: Iīm curious... How did you locate it? I wanted one of those.
    Whether itīs better or not than the DPS EVOL should be a moot point as the 184x44 isnīt available in EVOL.

/Allan
    2016 Giant Glory 2.

Orbea Occam 29 has DPS EVOL stock, in 184x44.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Apr 2016

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Not sure we need the EVOL at all, as initial stroke/sticktion seems to really not be an issue with the Trance in the first place. Or maybe someone heavier than me could benefit from it? (Iīm 160 lbs plus kit). In reality I truly know very little about suspension tuning, I can only report my limited experience.

/Allan
    2016 Giant Glory 2.

Quote Originally Posted by jaqkar View Post
    Works great with single pivot setup(LaPierre Zesty AM 29). Its basically a hi-volume, electronic Monarch RT3. But for Trance X - I'd go with a Cane Creek DBInline, which is better-valved for DW, VPP and Maestro type suspensions.