mtbr member
    May 2005

TranceX-frame or bike?

If I get the bike, X2, I have the better fork, but only the non adustable shock. If I get the frame, I have the rp23, but only the 03 marz marathon s from my old bike. Great fork, plush, but not as stiff as the Fox fork. All other parts will be equal, including new Dt Swiss 240 wheelset, thomson masterpiece post, sram xo drivetrain, all from my older giant trance. If I buy the bike, I can also put some of the heavier, new parts on my old frame to sell. I'm also selling another bike and would have the money to buy a fox fork then. I'd have to pay retail though, to get a made for 120mm travel Fox fork. If I use this bike for riding and racing, how much will I miss the platform adjustablility of the rp23 rear shock?

mtbr member
    The difference between rp2 and rp23 is the more tuneable platform of the rp23.
    rp2 in platform mode offers a very firm platform comparable to the presetting "3" at the rp23.If you simply need a on/off switch for the platform the rp2 should do it.
    I'm currently running an rp23 on my trance. The plattform presetting is at "1". Hammering uphill on rough terrain there is still enough medium bump compliance left to stay touched to the ground. Running in mode "3" a lot of this is lost and it is getting bumpy at the back.In my opinion the rp2 with the giant maestro suspension is much to firm in plattform mode.

Buying a framekit is much more expensive compared to a complete bike. I'm currently waiting for a Trance X0. I will sell most of the parts and build up the frame with other parts. If you subtract all the retail prices of the parts, the frame is only about one third / one half of the price of the framekit when bought separately . It simply depends on what price you can achieve when selling all the parts separately.
    Last edited by zack; 02-10-2008 at 02:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I recently ordered an X2 bike. I considered the frame but Giant wants about $1,000.00 or more for it. Includes a good shock but no fork. I need the Fox fork, believing it will be better than my Manitou Minute.

So I ordered the bike.

Terry

Members who have read this thread: 0