mtbr member
    Dec 2005

New question here. Trance3 - Top 3 Noticeable and cheap upgrades

Hi all, looking for some expert opinion here!!!!

I'm in the process of purchasing a trance 3 (2006) and want to do some quick upgrades right from the get go. I'm coming a from a hardrock comp and learned the hard lesson that it is much cheaper to upgrade things from the beginning. I don't want to make the same mistake so I'm planning on upgrading everything from the start.

I don't race and put about 750km a season.
    This is what i have in mind, I also want that upgrades to be VERY noticeable (i don't think I could tell the difference between good and bad cranks or bottom brackets for example, or seatposts, stems... etc)

This is what I had in mind (not including tires)?

1. Fork: recon to reba race or Mantiou R7 *those are the forks available at my LBS*
    2. Brakes: Hayes sole to Avid bb7
    3. shock: float r to rp3

Number 3 is pending the price. Currently, a LSB has quoted me $2000 CND for a reba and bb7's and I sort of want to keep it as close to $2000 as possible.

Question 1: are the Avid BB7's an upgrade or downgrade? I've read the terrible reviews on the sole. Is it better to have a good mechanical disc or an okay hydraulic?

Thanks for any input!!!

canadian......

msrp $2109
    frame ALUXX Butted aluminum, 4.2" Travel.
    fork RockShox Recon 327 Air, 100mm travel to a reba race
    shock Fox Float R
    handlebar Easton EA 30 low rise
    stem Easton EA50
    seatpost Easton EA50 350x30.9
    saddle WTB Rocket V Comp
    pedals NA
    shifters Shimano Deore
    front derailleur Shimano LX
    rear derailleur Shimano LX
    brakes Hayes SOLE to avid BB7
    levers Hayes
    cassette SRAM PG950 11-34T, 9 speed
    chain Shimano HG 73
    cranks Race Face Ride XC
    BB Race Face SRX ISIS
    rims Mavic XM 117
    hubs Formula Disc
    spokes
    Stainless Steel
    tires Hutchinson Bulldog MRC AirLight, wire 26x2.1

enjoy the view
    Quote Originally Posted by mtndew
    Hi all, looking for some expert opinion here!!!!

I'm in the process of purchasing a trance 3 (2006) and want to do some quick upgrades right from the get go. I'm coming a from a hardrock comp and learned the hard lesson that it is much cheaper to upgrade things from the beginning. I don't want to make the same mistake so I'm planning on upgrading everything from the start.

I don't race and put about 750km a season.
    This is what i have in mind, I also want that upgrades to be VERY noticeable (i don't think I could tell the difference between good and bad cranks or bottom brackets for example, or seatposts, stems... etc)

This is what I had in mind (not including tires)?

1. Fork: recon to reba race or Mantiou R7 *those are the forks available at my LBS*
    2. Brakes: Hayes sole to Avid bb7
    3. shock: float r to rp3

Number 3 is pending the price. Currently, a LSB has quoted me $2000 CND for a reba and bb7's and I sort of want to keep it as close to $2000 as possible.

Question 1: are the Avid BB7's an upgrade or downgrade? I've read the terrible reviews on the sole. Is it better to have a good mechanical disc or an okay hydraulic?

Thanks for any input!!!

canadian......

msrp $2109
    frame ALUXX Butted aluminum, 4.2" Travel.
    fork RockShox Recon 327 Air, 100mm travel to a reba race
    shock Fox Float R
    handlebar Easton EA 30 low rise
    stem Easton EA50
    seatpost Easton EA50 350x30.9
    saddle WTB Rocket V Comp
    pedals NA
    shifters Shimano Deore
    front derailleur Shimano LX
    rear derailleur Shimano LX
    brakes Hayes SOLE to avid BB7
    levers Hayes
    cassette SRAM PG950 11-34T, 9 speed
    chain Shimano HG 73
    cranks Race Face Ride XC
    BB Race Face SRX ISIS
    rims Mavic XM 117
    hubs Formula Disc
    spokes
    Stainless Steel
    tires Hutchinson Bulldog MRC AirLight, wire 26x2.1
    change your tire to the nevegal and use stan's no tubes conversion. you'll feel the difference. i did.

mtbr member
    brakes to Xt's. forget going to BB7's

Hell, your upgrading, go all the way.

G

mtbr member
    Hum, that MSRP seems a bit high considering how strong the Canadian dollar is right now - with the upgrades though doesn't sound too bad. Anyways if the Recon has Motion Control/sans lock-out then I wouldn't really bother switcing it out unless you're really worried about the weight. Also I wouldn't worry about the so1e's either, I had mine for over a year and they worked just fine, only prob I got to was finding replacement pads so just bought a diff set of brakes - the BB7's are the same single piston type brake(just cable) and you will get the same rotor warping problems as w/ the so1e's.

My T3 now at 18+ months is pretty much totally upgraded - REBA SL, XT RD & FD, LX cassette, HOPE Mono Mini 160 brakes, XT/Mavic XM321 wheels (no weight loss here, but very sturdy). But I've swapped all the old parts onto other bikes I have and got deals on most of the stuff I've upgraded, except for the REBA which I pretty much bought right away 'cause the crappy Duke XC came w/ bad bushings.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    I know you want an inexpensive upgrade, but of all the things you have I would change out the rims first. Reducing rolling resistance would be the best place to start. Go Crossmax or XTR M965 wheelset (that is what I have).

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for the input guys!! but i still can't afford xt brakes.... or the wheel upgrade...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    hayes hfx-9, cheap and effective brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Upgrades

I started with a Trance 3 as well. Unless you're riding REAL hard, I don't think you'd notice the shock upgrade. You'd gain the adjustable propedal, but the Trance manages pedal bob real well. I'd spend the money on a set of Crossmax Enduro's. The wheel upgrade made a very noticable difference on my bike.

For $100 you can put an XT rear derailleur and cassette on the back. Saves a bunch of weight and get a performance boost at the same time.

Finally, I would second the suggestion to go with the Hayes upgrade. The HFX 9's are everywhere for $100 each wheel, and they are a solid upgrade. Depending on your weight you might look at the 7 inch rotor.

FWIW, my two cents,
    Oldn0tded

Members who have read this thread: 0