Thread: Trance2 tires

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Trance2 tires

Recently purchased a trance2 great bike, but the tires are awful my daughters wal-mart bike has better tires. I'm looking for a fast rolling but still performs in the soft stuff xc tires. your opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Going for a ride......
    Seems as though nobody has replied to your thread yet - I put some Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 tyres on my Trance. They're not the lightest tyre out there but seem to be great all round. At the moment I'm riding dusty, rocky terrain & have no problems with them at all.

Synchros Point N Chute tyres are lighter, and I'd say better than the Bulldogs for cornering & stuff. They have a lower profile (not as aggressive tread as the Panaracers) so would be faster rolling I imagine. Although for soft stuff I imagine you're probably after a 2.3 at least on the front.

Otherwise check out the well known brands that most people seem to run & recommend: in particular Maxxis & Kenda, it's probably what I'll be looking into when time comes for a new set. Although the Panaracers are a nice cheap sort of all round tire that does a good job if you're not concerned about weight.

Some names I've heard alot are:

Kenda Blue Groove
    Kenda Nevegal
    Maxxis Minion
    Maxxis Highroller
    Kenda Kinetics

But I don't have any experience with the above tyres, just know they seem to be popular.
    energetix

mtbr member
    As Energetix said and listed those are some of the name brand tyres. Personally I'd tell you to keep the Bulldogs and ride them for a bit to help you leanr then throw on a FireXC Pro or the like on the front to help with steering. Seriously the Bulldogs aren't the greatest, but they aren't the worst either, I use them as a rear tyre and they hook up pretty ghood but as a front tyre they really do not track very well and cause you to loose your line because of it.

If you're not worried about rolling resistance and want the best grip consider getting a Nevegal DTC for the rear and a BlueGrove Stick-E for the front - seems to be a fav combo of a lot of riders. Personally I've only riden the Nevegal front and rear, but have heard the BlueGrove is a better front tyre. Definitely get the DTC compound for the rear though as the Stick-E will roll very slowly and also wear very fast.

If Rolling resistance is very important to you give the Hutchinson PYTHONs a try. They are a very high volume race oriented tyre that rolls very well, has pretty decent traction and also wears well - once you're not riding in the wet they should work fine.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the info that helps alot. Also have any feedback on the maxxis cross mark. Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    May 2006

Tires

I've been running Panaracers Fire XC Pros for about 6 months now, and have been very pleased. However, I also borrowed my brother's Reign last week with a set of worn out Kenda Nevagals and was very impressed with those as well. If you go with Panaracers be sure to get the real Japanese version. They wear out faster, but are lighter and work better.

I agree with you on the Bullfrog Airfrights, rim protectors at best.

Oldn0tded

Slow Patrol
    Oct 2005
    Specialized Adrenaline/Resolution 2.1 or 2.0. They actually measure out to 2.2 and 2.1 respectively.

mtbr member
    I've recently fitted Schwabe Racing Ralph tyres to my Trance with great results; they're very light and fast rolling with reasonable grip, but not as good grip as my Panaracer Fire's. For me hovewever, I really appreciate the light weight, at least in the dry summer months.

Mel

Members who have read this thread: 0