Trance X or Reign better all-mountain?- Mtbr.com

Feb 2008

Trance X or Reign better all-mountain?

First post to the forums...not a newb though. I have been out of the mountain bike scene for about 5+years and am a little out of the loop with the rapidly changing MTB's. It seems 6" of suspension travel is not just for the downhill guys anymore. I have many years bicycling experience and come from a motocross background and am looking for an all-mountain bike. I know Giant has managed to reduce the weight of both the TranceX and Reign for 2008, with the Reign losing nearly a 1.5lbs! Pricing is pretty similar between the two and I am having trouble deciding which way to go. As you know there are no real world test rides. I would just like to hear some thoughts on the subject. Thanks!

mtbr member
    depends on how big of drops you are planing on taking? I'd say anything over the 2-3 foot range I would go with the Reign.

Quack Attack
    All depends on the terrain you will be riding. Trance X will handle anything but the largest drops with ease. If you do any type of XC, go with the Trance X.
    2011 Ibis Mojo SL-R & 2008 Giant Trance X0

Feb 2008
    Well, really I will be riding varied terrain of all kinds, that's why I am looking for an all mountain bicycle. That being said I will not be "hucking" off rock faces or anything like that, and my riding will include some cross country too.

mtbr member
    Then a TranceX is it. Those few pounds on the Reign you will feel uphill. Downhill, the Trance is moto plush too.

Johny Sokko!
    The reign will feel a bit more solid as I have both bikes. As light as they have built the reign I would say go with it. The TX is one solid bike though and is just a bit lighter and nimbler (if that is a word). Just get a solid light wheelset and the rotaional weight will make the bike feel lighter.

-Fly you fools!-
    I have a similar question, and instead of starting a new thread, I figured I'd ask here. Hope sonic32 doesn't mind....

I'm debating right now on a couple bikes, and a big thing about which one I want is how much a certain bike can handle. On the list I've got a Giant Reign 1, Trance X(1 or 2), SC Heckler, or maybe even an Ibex Ignition and upgrade that. So right now I'm debating between either the Reign or Trance X(Haven't decided X1 or X2 yet). So my real question is, how much do you think the Trance X could handle? What size jumps and drops do you think it could handle? I mean, I wouldn't be doing constant huge "hucks" but screwing around town dropping off ledges and stuff. So what could the Trance X handle, and what do you think prevents it from going any bigger? Which would be better suited?

Thanks.

Scott

Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner
    The reign will feel a bit more solid as I have both bikes. As light as they have built the reign I would say go with it. The TX is one solid bike though and is just a bit lighter and nimbler (if that is a word). Just get a solid light wheelset and the rotaional weight will make the bike feel lighter.
    Your comment above is kinda what I was thinking, but it's so hard to know without riding them both. I know the Reign dropped more weight this year than the TranceX, in similar trim levels what is the difference in weight between the two?

Quack Attack
    Trance X can handle 2-3' drops with ease. I know, I have the XO and have done them. I think anything larger would require at least a 6" bike.
    2011 Ibis Mojo SL-R & 2008 Giant Trance X0

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    A Trance X should be able to handle more that 2-3' drops ... I ride the regular Trance (but with a 120mm fork) and have had no issues doing up to 4' drops with a 190lb carcass. These 4 footers are not an every day occurance and they may not be as plush as they would be with a Reign, but the bike can take it and I have not bottomed it out.

mtbr member
    Same here...I've got a Trance X1 and it only bottomed out on a somewhat unintentional 5 or 6 foot drop to flat concrete while messing around on some stairs on campus. The wheels didn't even need to be trued! I'm at 200lbs. 190 in the summer months. (I've got my winter "coat" on right now)
    Ride More

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic32
    Your comment above is kinda what I was thinking, but it's so hard to know without riding them both. I know the Reign dropped more weight this year than the TranceX, in similar trim levels what is the difference in weight between the two?
    It's not really about the weight difference, the rear travel and geometry of the frames are gonna have the biggest impact. I might be crazy but I could swear that a shorter rear travel frame just flat out pedals better out of the saddle in most situations than a longer travel frame. I think it has to do with the rear shock dipping into its progressive range a little earlier when the platform is overridden. Not saying the Reign is a shabby pedaler but I've always thought of it as more of a sit and spin climber, not sure how the two compare though as I have yet to hop on a Trance X but my experience with other 5" bikes would lead me to believe it would pedal better when sprinting.
    Bike good, work bad.

Apr 2007
    New 08 Reign.

I want to ride
    Scotty, forget about the Ibex. Find yourself a shop that sells the bikes your interested in. Go test ride, talk to the employees, find out what they recommend for your area, and make a decision. Ibex is only mail order and it is tough to buy a bike without riding it. You would'nt buy a car without driving it first, right... They have an attractive price and, not to say that Ibex doesn't make a nice bike. But If you buy a bike from a bike shop, the shop will take care of you. If you roll into a bike shop with a box from Ibex, you will not get a good vibe, trust me. Buy from a bike shop, it pays off in the long run. This advice in coming from a bike shop employee. Others chime in here, we need to keep it local, wherever local may be.

-Fly you fools!-
    Quote Originally Posted by pd406
    Scotty, forget about the Ibex. Find yourself a shop that sells the bikes your interested in. Go test ride, talk to the employees, find out what they recommend for your area, and make a decision. Ibex is only mail order and it is tough to buy a bike without riding it. You would'nt buy a car without driving it first, right... They have an attractive price and, not to say that Ibex doesn't make a nice bike. But If you buy a bike from a bike shop, the shop will take care of you. If you roll into a bike shop with a box from Ibex, you will not get a good vibe, trust me. Buy from a bike shop, it pays off in the long run. This advice in coming from a bike shop employee. Others chime in here, we need to keep it local, wherever local may be.
    Alright, thanks man. That's kind of why is said "maybe even an Ibex" because it is just a thought. But I've been to a few shops, and they all seem to recommend the Trance X2 specifically for the trails around me, but I know I'd wanna hit some drops, most likely bigger than 2-3' that people are saying is about all the Trance X would handle safely. So I'm leaning toward the Reign 1, nice step up in spec over the from the TX2, but not a big jump in price!

I want to ride
    Scotty, your moving in the right direction. Keep asking the questions and then make an educated choice. I personally work at a shop that sells both the Reign and the Trance X. If I had to sum it up in a few statements,... It would be the Trance X for everything... and the Rein for a bit more... Make sense? Both great choices IMO.

-Fly you fools!-
    Quote Originally Posted by pd406
    Scotty, your moving in the right direction. Keep asking the questions and then make an educated choice. I personally work at a shop that sells both the Reign and the Trance X. If I had to sum it up in a few statements,... It would be the Trance X for everything... and the Rein for a bit more... Make sense? Both great choices IMO.
    Aw man, that doesn't help much! lol I know the Trance X would work better on the trails around here, as it's more efficient and stuff like that, and the bike would spend the large majority of its time on the trail, it's just that, like I said, I would like to screw around off the trail from time to time, and would like to know the bike could take it. And some people are suggesting two bikes, an Urban/DJ bike and an XC bike, but I don't want either, I just want one bike that can take what I dish out, and last me a long while, as this would be my only bike! I wouldn't have a problem with paying a little penalty in weight and climbing for the Reign, but everybody from my local forum thinks the Reign would be overkill! I dunno man! lol

attending to my vices
    The pre 08 reigns are not slow, heavy clunkers by any means. The 08's being 1.5# lighter are very light for anything 'all mountain.' The R0 is 29 pounds? If you find yourself asking "how much can the trance x take" then I think you are looking at the wrong bike. Even the Reign does not feel great coming off a 5 foot drop unless you have considerable amount of air pressure and have compromised plushness. It has very linear travel. After riding a 4" xc bike and a 6" reign that pedals better. I wouldn't compromise with a trance x. If it is anything similar to other 5" bikes such as a Iron Horse MKIII, then it is not worth it. You would not be disapointed with the reign.

If you do go reign. Do yourself a mandatory favor and get an 08 fox 36 talas. There's your 130mm right there. The bike deserves 160mm for DH so don't sell it short. I just came of a Pike and the difference is substantial.

PS, test riding is by far the best solution to your question. Try to find a dealer.
    OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I've got a trance and I ride what most people would call 'All mountain'; I like the trance on the climbs, but it's a little overwhelmed on especially steep runs. It's ok but I often find myself wishing I had a little more rear wheel travel and a head angle that's a little slacker.

if you're not racing and can pedal a 31ish lb bike (built up heavy!) uphill, I'd go with the Reign. You won't win many xc or dh races on it, but it'd be fun ripper.

cheers
    Support your local advocacy group: FVMBA!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

for great suspension action, get the reign.......

The Reign's rear suspension is amazing. Lets say you hit a 4"x4" laying perpendicular to the trail; you hardly feel it on your seat. You can remain seated and pedal through the gnarliest trails.

I enjoy difficult technical climbs; the Reign's rear suspension always feels supple no matter how hard I press on the pedals and no matter how big or small the obstacles. Pedalling can always be smooth.

Don't know how the Trance X may compare, The regular trance with only 4" of travel is not as "silky" or buttery smooth as the Reign is. Trance is however a faster, more agile bike.

If you want to do mostly technical stuff, gnarly trails: Reign.....
    If you will be doing mostly fast winding trails with unending obstacles to dodge: Trance

I would say get the Reign to experience excellent suspension action, Later get the Anthem to experience acceleration and power.

Feb 2008

Test Ride!! Test Ride!!!

TEST RIDE!! TEST RIDE!!!TEST RIDE!! TEST RIDE!!!TEST RIDE!! TEST RIDE!!!TEST RIDE!! TEST RIDE!!!TEST RIDE!! TEST RIDE!!!TEST RIDE!! TEST RIDE!!!TEST RIDE!! TEST RIDE!!!TEST RIDE!! TEST RIDE!!!TEST RIDE!! TEST RIDE!!!

Get my drift. Take everyones reviews here and anywhere for that matter with a grain of salt. Dont go buying a bike on someone elses word. Remember it is the internet and a lot of people have mis guided brand loyalty. Your body, riding style and skill are all different to theirs therefore so should your bike be. Get the bike that fits you. Ive seen countless people cruisin the trails with the latest and greatest shiny new toy, only to be beaten by people with a lot less equipment but a lot more skill. Most mid to top end 5 inch travel bikes will all perform well above most peoples abilities. Its just a matter of finding the model that fits you best. Test every bike with an open mind and dont fall for the marketing hype. Thats just there to get you to buy it. Have patience and you may too be flying past shiny new toys with a 3, 4 or even 5 year old steed. Feeling comfortable and having fun is so much more inportant than the latest, stiffest, lightest, longest, greatest.....blah blah. Talk to the LBS and see what mods can be done if any to fix issues you may have. Simply chainging a headstem can make a big difference to the feel of a bike.
    So in saying all that head to your local bike shop, make friends and......

TEST RIDE!! TEST RIDE!!!TEST RIDE!! TEST RIDE!!!TEST RIDE!! TEST RIDE!!!TEST RIDE!! TEST RIDE!!!TEST RIDE!! TEST RIDE!!!TEST RIDE!! TEST RIDE!!!TEST RIDE!! TEST RIDE!!!TEST RIDE!! TEST RIDE!!!TEST RIDE!! TEST RIDE!!!

my $0.02

mtbr member
    I'd buy that .02 for a dollar

mtbr member
    I'm with nelnose too... I think the two bikes are probably very similar anyway. When it comes to the height of a drop a bike can handle, wouldn't that be just as much (probably more) a function of rider skill as 6 vs 8 inches anyway?
    "Early bird gets the worm", but the second mouse gets the cheese...

-Fly you fools!-
    Alright, thanks again guys. I'm heading to a shop tomorrow, hopefully they'll have both in stock so I can compare and test ride. We'll see. Any more opinions would still be appreciated. Thanks.

Scott

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    How heavy are you? If you're a light, smooth rider, the Trance X should be fine for some moderate jumps/drops. If you're a big guy that hits 4' drops to flat every ride, get the Reign. If it's a matter of making the trail smoother, get a road bike and stay on the roads. Those are plenty smooth. Seriously, I bet most (not any of us, though) "all-mountain" riders are cross-country riders that want the bike to do all the work. Remember when all of the good bikes were hardtails? Those bikes could do anything that the rider could do, except drop off of your house. Even then, trials riders can do that on a fully rigid bike. Sorry, I'll step off my soapbox now...

Yes, I have a Trance X, but that's only because it looks cool! I wouldn't jump it off my house, either.

-Fly you fools!-
    I'm about 185lbs. Not going to be doing 4' to flats every ride, but I'd like something that could handle that when I do. And I'm anything but an XC rider hoping for the bike to do all the work, I've even said before I have no problem taking any extra weight up the hill so I'm doing the work there. And I rode a rigid this past fall, so that was all me.

Went to a shop today, talked to their mechanic who was the MTB guru there and had a nice talk. Heard a lot of what I was hoping for, and I'm pretty settled on the Reign 1 unless something else jumps up and sweeps me away.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    If you got the Reign, you wouldn't have to worry at all about the occasional drop or jump. If you did get the Trance X, but you were always worried about breaking it, riding wouldn't be nearly as much fun. Go with the Reign unless you're worried about a pound or 2, which you said you aren't. I have a lot of respect for rigid riders. You have to be smooth. I wasn't trying to insinuate that you were lazy, I was just saying that a lot of the long travel bikes out there are made to make it easy on people to ride terrain that most bikes can easily handle. With bikes as capable as the Trance X and Reign, ordinary trails are going to get boring. If you ride technical trails, that's a different story! It's just a pet peave of mine.

mtbr member
    the new 08 Reign is awsome, and so much lighter than the 05 version. I was so tempted to trade up to the 08 frameset. Either bike, you cant go wrong. the Reign gives you the option of putting better forks like Talas 36's and giving it more of a light freeride flavor if your abilities change down the rack.

-Fly you fools!-
    Hey guys, to all those that helped me out, maybe you could go read my thread with more info on my situation and a new contender, and then give some insight there and drop a vote.

I'd really appreciate it!

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=386109

Thanks.

MTBGremmie
    After just breaking a Stumpy frame, I would go with the Reign.
    I'm an older trail rider and I've already broken everything I wanted to, so no hucks, blah, blah, blah. Frame welds still loosened up at the head tube of the Stumpy. So, as mentioned, the weights are close enough between the bikes that the extra durability over time is worth it alone. These new frames haven't had a long time out in the market to see how well they hold up to real world conditions. Aluminum frames don't last forever, they fatigue. The fact that model #1 is less expensive on the Reign is also not insignificant to me.
    I also prefer the 140mm fork and 2.35 rather than 2.1 tires.
    Buy the trance-X and you'll probably be changing these out first. Well, I would anyway.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Good luck!

Members who have read this thread: 0