Trance X - aggressive XC bike?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    90

    Trance X - aggressive XC bike?

    I own a Titus racer X, which is a terrific bike, but has XC race geometry. I just got back from riding trails in Jackson Hole, WY. We rode 5 trails, with lots of climbs in 2.5 days (I am a little beat today). Anyway, I rented a kona dawg deluxe from a local shop down there and although the bike's climbing left a lot to be desired, I was suprised at how much my skills improved on the technical downhills. I rode very aggressively on the downhills. So, I am thinking about getting a trance X. I am wondering if it will mirror the dawg's downhill capability, but surpass it in climbing. I want a bike I can ride the more aggressive trails on (with more travel) when I ride with my buddies, who always surpass me on the technical stuff (but I get them back on the climbs).
    Thanks!
    Last edited by racerXX; 08-26-2007 at 07:41 PM. Reason: mispelling

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: laurenlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    629
    I live in Wyoming, and just bought a 2008 Reign. It's my cross county bike. It's my only bike. It's an awesome bike.

    When I was searching for a bike to replace my 1997 GT LTS-1, I wanted something that was light(ish), climbed great, and handled the rough stuff.

    The terrain I ride in the summer is granite strewn, steep, technical bliss. Moab is pretty smooth in comparison. No chairlifts and limited shuttles mean a bike has to climb good for 3 hours for the 45 minute trip back.

    So, if your terrain calls for it, a Reign or Trance X is a great bike. I went 6" travel because of the rough trails I ride.

    The Reign is a touch heavier than the LTS, but there is no difference when riding it. BUT...

    I am amazed at the climbing ability of the Reign. I was cleaning uphill trail sections that were hike-a-bikes the week before. The suspension feels very neutral, the frame is really stiff, It rails rough singletrack, and does just fine downhill.

    I ordered my Reign without a test ride, and it has surpassed my expectations in just 10 days. I assume the Trance X is the same thing, with an inch less squish in the back, and 20mm less fork. Thumbs up.

    EDIT:

    Since nothing is perfect, here are some gripes I have.

    The propedal in not really needed on this bike, but I wish the propedal on the RP2 was a bit softer. It's almost a lockout.

    Not too impressed with the Stroker Trail brakes. This is my first set of hydraulics, so it might be user error, but they don't seem as powerful as BB7's. The pads make a metal on metal sound on the rotors. I might be pad shopping soon.

    The Float fork is just so-so. Maybe it will break in, but it's not as plush as my Marzocchi MX Pro. Perhaps the excellence of the rear suspension makes the fork weak in comparison.

    Random tidbits:

    The hubs are DT Swiss 370. Very smooth, but freehub engagement is on par with XT.

    Shortish 350mm seatpost. I am an minimum insertion on mine.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by racerXX
    I own a Titus racer X, which is a terrific bike, but has XC race geometry. I just got back from riding trails in Jackson Hole, WY. We rode 5 trails, with lots of climbs in 2.5 days (I am a little beat today). Anyway, I rented a kona dawg deluxe from a local shop down there and although the bike's climbing left a lot to be desired, I was suprised at how much my skills improved on the technical downhills. I rode very aggressively on the downhills. So, I am thinking about getting a trance X. I am wondering if it will mirror the dawg's downhill capability, but surpass it in climbing. I want a bike I can ride the more aggressive trails on (with more travel) when I ride with my buddies, who always surpass me on the technical stuff (but I get them back on the climbs).
    Thanks!
    Your got the same questions as me but last friday i ordered a trance x0 for aggressive cross country riding.

  4. #4
    gmx
    gmx is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    385
    I'm in Vancouver and have a trance 2. It climbs beautifully but a bit twitchy on the downs. I find I really have to focus (could be a rider issue). That being said, I love the ride (up and down) and that twitchyness makes it easy to switch lines on the fly - if it doesn't switch them for you. It feels like it has more travel than 4". My girlfriend has a dawg and it is more stable going down especially when it gets a bit gnarly. I keep hearing that its a bit of a pig going up but seemed to climb fine to me. I guess if you're used to pedaling a light bike it would be a bit harder but if you're used to pedaling up a 35lb plus bike it goes up like a billy goat.

  5. #5
    I AM I AM
    Reputation: ducktape's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,222
    The trance certainly has plenty of grip for those loose climbs, just stay seated and pedal away. Sometimes I feel like maybe it has too much grip!

    I too have always found my rear suspension to be set and forget, eats all the bumps and feels as plush as you wish compared to the fork. Well until I changed the Tora from 100mm travel up to 130mm, it's a lot better now (more plush) and matches the 4.2" in the rear really well. This also slackened of the HA and made it more fun & confident on the downs, yet I have not found the front wheel wanting to lift during the climbs even with a short stem.

    For me 4" rear & 5" front is perfect, but the trance X is only what about 200g more than the regular trance so go for it!
    I have never ridden a Dawg so can't really compare.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CRogge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    290
    Quote Originally Posted by ducktape
    For me 4" rear & 5" front is perfect, but the trance X is only what about 200g more than the regular trance so go for it!
    I have never ridden a Dawg so can't really compare.
    The Trance X frame is only about 8g heavier than the Trance frame. It's 200g heavier than the Anthem frame.
    Ride More

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Franco94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    128

    TranceX Frame

    Quote Originally Posted by CRogge
    The Trance X frame is only about 8g heavier than the Trance frame. It's 200g heavier than the Anthem frame.
    Based on the advertised drop in weight this year, I'm guessing an 18" is 6.5 pounds. That's probably still at the high end of a 5x5 bike but a lot better than what you got last year. The Reign seems really interesting given the amount of weight that frame dropped. Can't be much difference between the Reign and TranceX frame weights now - right?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,762
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco94
    Based on the advertised drop in weight this year, I'm guessing an 18" is 6.5 pounds. That's probably still at the high end of a 5x5 bike but a lot better than what you got last year. The Reign seems really interesting given the amount of weight that frame dropped. Can't be much difference between the Reign and TranceX frame weights now - right?
    Yeah, that makes me wonder how they differ. In other words, why not get a Reign, unless the TranceX is "snappier", but if the geometry is similar, then aren't they a bit redundant?

  9. #9
    IPAs make me wanna puke.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,598
    I think you could eventually build out the Reign with a longer travel fork (like it used to be spec'd) like a Fox 36 or RS Lyrik. I don't think I'd try that on a Trance X, so in stock form, they are a bit redundant, but over time, the Reign can go bigger, IMHO.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Franco94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    128

    Reign Standover

    The only reservation I have is the tall standover height of the Reign. Wow that is one tall bike. Great bottom bracket clearance but not good package clearance.

  11. #11
    IPAs make me wanna puke.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,598
    I've never had a problem with that as a matter of concern. Something about those numbers doesn't seem right to me. I'm going to stand over the medium that my LBS is building up and report back when I get a chance. I'm far more concerned about effective top tube length and fit anyways.

  12. #12
    Quack Attack
    Reputation: dfioc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    238
    I'm also looking at the X. My Anthem is great for climbs and anything but the technical downhills which I want to ride more without feeling so beat up.

    Has anyone ridden the X specifically? If so, please share your experience.
    2011 Ibis Mojo SL-R & 2008 Giant Trance X0

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.