Trance X with 36's?- Mtbr.com

Feb 2006

Trance X with 36's?

Thinking of downsizing my 2007 reign and getting a trance X, probably suits the bulk of my riding better. But... I want to keep my Fox 36's! Anyone know if the 36's will void the warranty on the trace X - is there a maximum fork length listed anywhere for the Trance X?

mtbr member
    probly best to talk to giant, but i don't think it would be a probly if giant ok'd running 130mm forks on the pre 08 trances

mtbr member
    May 2004

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I am not sure if Giant recommends it or not but it feels great. I rode a Trance X at the Canadian dealer demo day at Bromont that Shimano had set up with a full XT group, cranks, brakes, shifters, wheels and they had a Fox 36 Vanilla fork on it. It worked really well, so well that I ordered a Trance XO, a Fox 36 Talas and just the front Mavic ST with the 20mm hub so I will have the option of going with the lighter stock set up or heavier 36 set up depending on the riding that day.
    Also all of the Shimano gear worked awesome and I have been a diehard SRAM guy for a couple years now. Most impressive were the brakes, they felt better than my Juicy Carbons on my Blur LT that I have just sold to make way for the Trance XO.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by coolatt
    Ha ha ha. That's my bike. I've still got it, I've been hammering on it for two years, and it still kicks ass and takes names later.

I usually run it at 130mm for general use but I have no concerns running it at 145-150mm. With the amount that I've ridden the bike and the way it's performed -- two years, hard 'all mountain' riding in wet, rooty, rocky southwest BC -- I'm not worried about warranty, I'd be more than happy to buy a new frame when my current frame packs it in.

I've broken beefier-looking frames than the Trance in a pretty short time; because of this I check the frame regularly for cracks or damage and it's still ticking.

Build weight is around 30lbs. And FWIW, I work in a non-Giant shop and I won't give up the Trance.
    Last edited by robot; 10-10-2007 at 07:10 PM.
    Support your local advocacy group: FVMBA!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky17
    I am not sure if Giant recommends it or not but it feels great. I rode a Trance X at the Canadian dealer demo day at Bromont that Shimano had set up with a full XT group, cranks, brakes, shifters, wheels and they had a Fox 36 Vanilla fork on it. It worked really well, so well that I ordered a Trance XO, a Fox 36 Talas and just the front Mavic ST with the 20mm hub so I will have the option of going with the lighter stock set up or heavier 36 set up depending on the riding that day.
    Also all of the Shimano gear worked awesome and I have been a diehard SRAM guy for a couple years now. Most impressive were the brakes, they felt better than my Juicy Carbons on my Blur LT that I have just sold to make way for the Trance XO.
    How did you manage that?? Giant wasn't even at the demo day in Bromont and if they were they wouldn't show up with a bike not spec'd as shipped would they? Actually now that I think of it I saw a guy going down the hill on the lift with a Trance X in team blue as I was going up. What's the full story??

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by spotthedogg
    How did you manage that?? Giant wasn't even at the demo day in Bromont and if they were they wouldn't show up with a bike not spec'd as shipped would they? Actually now that I think of it I saw a guy going down the hill on the lift with a Trance X in team blue as I was going up. What's the full story??
    Giant was not at demo day but Shimano were. They had a bunch of bikes there that were all equipped with the new 2008 XT gear and all the bikes were Giant Trance X's painted Shimano Blue. The one I demo'd had a Fox Vanilla 36 and the other guy with me had a Fox Float 36 on his. I think Shimano's booth was the first on the right when you walked into the Demo area.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I didn't even look that closely, **** I thought they were Devinci's again. Damn.

Members who have read this thread: 0