Trance in Whistler?- Mtbr.com
    phazer

Trance in Whistler?

Will a Trance with a manitou minute 100-130mm front shock be able to handle Whistler and north shore outside vancouver?
    Me and a couple of buddies(we are in South Africa) wants to make a trip.

mtbr member
    i'm sure EB will chime in, not sure a trance will make it out alive from the north shore stuff tho...

gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Hi I've riden my trance 2 w/reba 100 on some of the North Shore trails (Seventh Secret/Crinkum(sp?), CBC, Pipeline, Neds, Lower Oil Can. I would throw some nice tires like nevegals on. Last time I rode the trance I had a 2.3 Mofo DH front and an 2.25 El Gato rear. Obviously my lines are a bit more limited - and sometimes slower - than they are riding my big hit but the giant takes those that are available like a champ. As for Whistler, I've only done River Runs Through it.

attending to my vices
    You can do anything but the question is will it be enjoyable. I went to both places last year and rode a stinky on the shore and a sx trail at wistler. Both have basically 7" front and back. I think you could get away with it better at on the shore if you don't plan on taking any higher drops or bigger jumps. (which can be a lot of fun)

at whistler is just seems a bit impractical. The place is really set up for high speed riding and it would be too rough at those speeds on a trance. I thought it was damn rough even on the sx trail. Jumping with that bike though was a blast.

Look into renting from the Cove bike shop in N. Van and somewhere else in whistler. $60us a day.
    OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!

Just roll it......
    Phazer,

I'd bring the trance for the xc and rent for the days when you want to ride the park. The Trance will be fine for the Whistler xc stuff.....I rode several days with Mintsauce (another Saffie) in early August and he was on his Titus Motolite (130mm of travel) and he did fine. He even rode it in the park a couple of days! As long as your comfy on steeps with that bike, you'd be ok.

If you are flying all the way to Whistler and want to really enjoy the park, you can do that on the trance, but you'll end up beating the hell out of it. I'd say renting a bike for those days makes the most sense. Yes, it's expensive, but you're flying to B.C. and you may as well enjoy the terrain on the right equipment. No sense in bringing a knife to a gunfight.

As for the shore, you definitely can ride the mellower trails on the shore with the Trance. Guys started riding those with full rigids back in the day. Again, a bigger bike is gonna make things a bit easier, but if you got the skills, you can easily do it.

Cheers,
    EB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Phazer,

I'd bring the trance for the xc and rent for the days when you want to ride the park. The Trance will be fine for the Whistler xc stuff.....I rode several days with Mintsauce (another Saffie) in early August and he was on his Titus Motolite (130mm of travel) and he did fine. He even rode it in the park a couple of days! As long as your comfy on steeps with that bike, you'd be ok.

If you are flying all the way to Whistler and want to really enjoy the park, you can do that on the trance, but you'll end up beating the hell out of it. I'd say renting a bike for those days makes the most sense. Yes, it's expensive, but you're flying to B.C. and you may as well enjoy the terrain on the right equipment. No sense in bringing a knife to a gunfight.

As for the shore, you definitely can ride the mellower trails on the shore with the Trance. Guys started riding those with full rigids back in the day. Again, a bigger bike is gonna make things a bit easier, but if you got the skills, you can easily do it.

Cheers,
    EB
    Changed my nick to the one I use on the SA forums...

Yup know Mintsauce.
    Yeah makes sense to get a beefier bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0