mtbr member
    Jun 2006

New question here. Trance vs Reign. Still Causing a problem

Hi,

As i posted before, i am ready to buy myself a new bike - but am having serious difficulty choosing between the Trance 1 and the Reign 1.

I am currently riding a 400 Claud Butler, hardtail with rubbish forks (Please don't Laugh)...which is falling apart, and i am desperate for a new bike.

I ride probably 70% XC inc steep ascents, steep descents, fast winding narrow trails. My favorite type of riding is probably the technical stuff, having to hop up logs, ride along logs, things which require alot of balance, and a nimble bike. I do a bit of jumping, nothing big though, 2-3ft drops - i value my life too much to do anything big!

I had orignally set my heart on the Reign, but that is unavailable until October!...and i have checked every LBS (probably 40) in my area incase they had one on the shelf.

I think, also, that a fully built Giant is the best way to go...the value for money is just so much better than doing anything else. I looked at the SC Nomad with the same spec as the Reign 1, and that came out close to 4000!!!!

I think the other 2 colours in the Reign series are horrible. Not a major point i know, but if im going to spend 2k on a bike, i want to like the look of it!

Pros of the Trance as i see:
    - The colour, now that is sweet
    - Lighter, nimbler frame, better for climbing and technical bits???

Pros of the Reign:
    - Extra travel incase i wanted to move onto bigger stuff - i assume the Trance is sufficient for my needs?
    - It appears to be slightly better speced for the money?

Somebody help me!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I hear ya dude .... have to make a similar decision tomorrow. Trance 2 or Reign 2 ??

I have an 04 NRS 2 that I am selling as it is a little too light for my 220lbs and I also have a GT i-Drive 4-1.0 and am wondering if the Trance is too close to that or if the Reign will be too slack in the geometry ... dang I hate choices ... lol

The Quimby!
    Geez Hezza, still trying to decide on this one ? What is needed here is a 5 inch travel Giant which would be perfect for you (and many others I think).

You riding style really seems ideally matched to a bicycle between the 4" Trance and 6" Reign. I still think you should go for a Reign. Although you lose out on climbing ability and general handling sharpness, the Reign can handle the rougher riding you do for 30% of the time. I regards to travel, it is better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

As for colors, see if you can get the Reign 1 components fitted to the Reign frame which has the colour that least offends you. My LBS had a white Trance 1 frame fitted with the components from a Trance 2.

I live to bike
    if the biggest drop you are doing is 3 feet, the Trance will do fine. And eveb with "only" 4.2 inches of travel, many say it feels like 5 inches. The Trance will climb better, though the Reign is still an excellent climber.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Does anyone have info on next years models, due out in September i beleive?? ...as, if i were to wait for a Reign, that would be the one im waiting for!

Cheers

mtbr member
    I can offer some insight on a Trance vs. a Titus Quasi-Moto which I have set up as a 6x6 trailbike (similar in travel and intended use as the Reign). I ride fairly rough trails (or no trails at all) on which my suspension is almost constantly moving from 2-4 inches (or 5 depending on the bike). You have heard it said elsewhere but I'll say it again--the Trance rides like it has a good bit more than the 4.2" of stated travel. What I think this means is that the Trance will willingly use a good dose of its travel on bumps that should ride much rougher than they actually do. My Trance is using 3-3.75" of its travel on terrain that my Quasi is using 3-4.5"--not a great difference (I have actually measured this to try and understand why the Trance rode so smoothly over terrain that should have been rougher). Additionally, when you land a drop the last bit of travel on the Trance seems to ramp up nicely to avoid killing the shock. I am not a rider who looks for big drops--3-4' is my limit. I tend to ride in the saddle as much as possible so I do like bigger suspension travel to soak up anything that gets in my way. The only limit on the Trance vs. my Quasi is the drops I take land a bit firmer on the Trance as do some of the bigger bumps I encounter. Also, the Trance climbs like a scalded cat and darts around much better than the Quasi (due to the steeper Trance geometry). If I had to pick one bike (Trance or Reign) I would choose the Trance. It is better suited for the riding I do. However, when it comes time to replace the Quasi I will be looking hard at the Reign. Six inches of trave is sooooooo nice for a lazy rider like myself!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hezza
    I ride probably 70% XC inc steep ascents, steep descents, fast winding narrow trails. My favorite type of riding is probably the technical stuff, having to hop up logs, ride along logs, things which require alot of balance, and a nimble bike. I do a bit of jumping, nothing big though, 2-3ft drops - i value my life too much to do anything big!
    I just posted a reply but I am sorry to say I hadn't read your post very well. After further review your riding conditions and style SCREAM for a Trance. There is no way you need the excess travel, heavier weight, and slower handling of the Reign...if you are comfortable with how you ride and are happy forgoing the big drops for the smoother line. If there is a chance you plan to go bigger 4'+ drops or crazy femur-snapping terrain then do think hard about the Reign. But be honest with yourself, everyone always wants "more" but rarely do they need it.

Motion activated
    FWIW I use all my Reigns travel riding steep fast rocky trails and I much prefer the slacker HA even for tight single track. 6" isn't really that much travel if it's setup for trail work.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Ahem...

Well, boys and girls...after a fortunate phone call to find a brand new Reign 1 with 500 off i had my final decision to make.

Trance 1 for 2300
    Reign 1 for 2150

I went for a final test ride and, of course, each bike had their pro's and cons

Trance - Better Looking. Lighter & More Nimble.

Reign - Not bad looking. A nicer riding position i thought. More sus to play with. 150 less.

.....here she is

She will be out for her first proper ride tommorow moring, first thing - Review to follow.

Impressions from riding around the block (all afternoon ) :
    -Not much, if at all, heavier than my old hardtail.
    -Easier to bunny hop around than the hardtail, although not as easy as the Trance i am sure
    -Plenty of pedal bob when rear shock is on full-plush mode, but with the pro-pedal setting i am very impressed with the lack of bob.

The bike just feels really well balanced, surprisingly nimble and just....Awesome

....I would like to thank everyone for their help in making this difficult decision, now im just looking forward to the morning (my birthday!)

The Quimby!
    Congratulations Hezza, that is one sexy looking sled . I am glad you were finally able to make a decision. You got the right choice for your type of riding. Although the heavy style of riding only makes of 30% of you bike time, you could not expect a Trance to keep up.

I am glad to see you managed to get over the "looks" issue. I know myself that looks are certainly part of the decision and something you want to be happy with after forking out so much folding stuff, but in the end, the most important choice in selecting a bike is how it handles, pedals, steers and feels with respect to your riding style and choice of terrain.

You should also look to add extra protection to the forward portion of your driveside chainstay. When using the granny gear (chainring), this is where the most damage occurs from chainslap. I must also say that you poor buggers get hammered with bike prices in Old Blighty!
    Last edited by Jet-Mech; 07-29-2006 at 06:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey Hezza,

I'm based in the UK too, and thinking of buying a Reign. Can you tell me where you got the bike for a good deal? PM me if you do not wish to disclose.

Is it coffee brown? Or black with brown decals?

EDIT: Just sent you a quick email via this system instead.
    Last edited by zredbullz; 07-30-2006 at 02:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet-Mech
    . I must also say that you poor buggers get hammered with bike prices in Old Blighty!
    Don't get me started. We are so ripped off with prices here, that we literally pay double, if not triple with everything than America. Hence I do all I can to prevent paying such outrageous and absurd prices, i.e getting a good deal for a bike and avoid paying retail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zredbullz
    Hey Hezza,

I'm based in the UK too, and thinking of buying a Reign. Can you tell me where you got the bike for a good deal? PM me if you do not wish to disclose.

Is it coffee brown? Or black with brown decals?

EDIT: Just sent you a quick email via this system instead.
    Hi mate,

I picked it up from Nirvana cycles in Wescott. I think you will be really lucky to get hold of another at that price...or one at all in fact.

I must have emailed and phoned over 50 bike shops across the country to even get hold of one. The price discount they offered was merely a bonus! Apparently no one can get hold of them until October time and the only way you will get one is...like me to check if anyone has them in stock.

Good Luck!

Chris

...also, the frame is coffee brown. Its not stunningly beautiful, but its nice. Although, you do kinda forget that when you're riding

Johny Sokko!
    Dude!

Why did you go with the Reign?

The Trance is what you need!!! (Lynx, back me up man!)

The Reign is a chore to ride and you will get annoyed (as a XC machine) with it as a daily driver!

I own both for that reason (hence the name Treign).

The head angles and relaxed feeling you are refering to is what I'm talking about

The Reign is like a male Lion (clumsy but frickin bad ass!)

The Trance is like a Cheetah (sleek, nimble, fast and super strong)

Solution:
    Sell me your R1 for half the cost and go out and go get your T1! Let's correct this problem before you put scratches on my bike!

The guy who wrote you guys are paying a hefty price is right! I can go down the block and pick-up a 05 Reign frame for $399.00 or a 05 R3 for $1299, even a 05 T4 for $799.00

Just ride that bad boy! You need to get more courageous!

mtbr member
    Sorry Stoner, I don't think I can back you up on this one. Hezza clearly has a mind to eventually go big, whereas I know that big for me will be prob 4ft max and that will not be for a while and not very often. Yes the Trance really pedals like a dream and it's nice, strong but nimble machine especialy for the price but everyone's got to learn and make mistakes.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

The Quimby!
    Ahhh yes Stoner / Lynx, I too would like to have enough folding stuff for a Trance and a Reign, but the budget was really stretched just for the T2 .

If Hezza could only afford one bike, I still think he made the right choice in the R1. Yes, the Reign loses out to the Trance with the XC type riding Hezza does 70% of the time, but I really don't think the Trance would handle the big stuff he does 30% of the time. I really think 3 ft drops would be the maximum for a Trance.

Anyway, it would be fantastic if Giant made a 5" travel bike, and like Stoners avatar, it should be called a Treign !

mtbr member

if.

If you spec your Reign "correctly" , it will climb like any other 5" travel bike out there, and will go down like any other 6.6" travel bike.

You made the right choice Hezza. Maybe you don't know it now, but that bike can be the love of your life.
    I built my Reign the way I wanted, and I just compared it with two Trances yesterday. Although smaller frames - one of them is heavier, the other one just like mine.

So don't you think for a second that the Reign will not climb well... but you just wait till you start descending... you better start tellin' them now to move out of the way.

And I have to disagree on the bunny hop issue. I think you can go higher on a Reign than a Trance. The secret of a high bunny hop is in to how much pre-load you can have. On a BMX, it's just your legs... On a Reign, you have 6 inches of travel to compress. Just be careful when you take off...

Have fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

mtbr member
    So don't you think for a second that the Reign will not climb well... but you just wait till you start descending... you better start tellin' them now to move out of the way.
    Yup, The mans right, my Reign climbs really well. Did a 3h night ride last night and even after 6 months of use, it still amazes me to no end.

G

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    i was in a similar position not knowing which one to buy a few weeks ago and also thought there should be a 5" treign anyway i decided to buy a reign frame and build a lighter bike
    after trying a few shops in the uk with no luck i looked on ebay and a new reign 1 frame had just been put up with 550 buy it now price - i couldnt believe my luck

anyway ive now built the bike up and had a few rides on it, it weighs in at 29 3/4 lbs the front end feels realy light but has just a few niggles

i put a 70mm stem on it after reading reviews saying that the standard one was too long this has made the front a bit too light and sketchy on rough corners but i love the responsivness of it so im not sure what to do yet

i put 130mm revelations on the front as i already had them, saves weight and i wasnt sure if i needed 6" i like the revelations because i can set them realy soft and use the poplock and floodgate when the pedalling gets tough, i dont think the fox 36's have a lockout?
    - if i put fox 36's on it would this help keeping the front wheel down or make it worse with the extra height?

RP3 shock the rebound dosnt seem to have very much range -is this normal?
    im running the shock at 220psi (im 75kgs)to get it to feel right anyone else running that high?

also the pro pedal switch - shame it dosnt lock the shock out on full pro pedal

other than this im very pleased with the bike

here's a few pics

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kevob
    - if i put fox 36's on it would this help keeping the front wheel down or make it worse with the extra height?
    Going with a taller front end will make it harder to keep the front end down. - But, it's all what your used to. I went from a Giant NRS, a bike with XC angles, long low stem, low bottom bracket, and tight wheelbase -
    right to a custom built Reign - 16 inch frame with Fox 36VAN fork, 70mm stem with rise to be level with the seat - slack geometry, high bottom bracket, and longer wheelbase. Basically, a night & day difference!

The very first ride on my Reign was interesting - wheelie machine on the climbs, difficult to get around the switchbacks - felt like I was learning to ride all over again!

Once I learned the handling traits of the new bike everything is fine. Just like there is a method to climbing on an XC bike there is a method to climbing on a taller trail bike
    ie: scoot forward on the saddle, bend your arms, & pull the bars slightly down and towards you etc... Even with the slack geometry, the Reign will climb ANYTHING - if you have the legs, it WILL get up it
    After all the time on my Reign, my NRS now feels "weird" to me. Once you use the "downhill-like" geometry you won't want to give it up!
    Last edited by deoreo; 08-08-2006 at 05:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    thats very re-asuring and helpful THANKS!
    my previous bike was an nrs2 so im in the same boat as you were

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I finally bit the bullet and made a choice ..............

Not really - I bought both *whoops* Now I have an i-Drive 4 1,0 a Reign 2 and a Trance 1 - I guess it is good I sold the NRS and the AC *shakes head and wanders off aimlessly*

Johny Sokko!
    Quote Originally Posted by RussS
    I finally bit the bullet and made a choice ..............

Not really - I bought both *whoops* Now I have an i-Drive 4 1,0 a Reign 2 and a Trance 1 - I guess it is good I sold the NRS and the AC *shakes head and wanders off aimlessly*

Now that's the way you do it baller style "Give me both"!

I know it sounds gay, but you are now apart of the Treign Riders.

Click on my username and check out some of my post! You'll see my two Meastro's!

Members who have read this thread: 0