Scott is a tool.

Trance vertical suspension play and the LBS said.....

Don't worry about it, it's normal. WTF?!!!!

Let me explain what was happening, i got back from a cruisy ride the other night that consisted of sealed bike paths and roads and when bring my bike inside i picked it up from the seat and felt a small amount of movement that stopped suddenly with a knocking feeling. I initially thought that it may have just been the saddle moving, but held the seatpost and then the top of the frame and got same result.

So, took it to the bike shop yesterday and they tell me they got the Giant rep to look at it and that the rep said that it was normal and that the linkages just needed tightening, which i find very hard to believe as i'm very vigilant in doing this pre and post ride. When i probed them more they said that it could also be shock stiction, and that the bearings were worn out, but ultimately past it off as me being very hard on my bike as they said that i "obviously ride the bike hard" I asked how do you know that? and they had no answer to the question, which doesn't surprise me as i don't ride the bike hard and i maintain it impeccably. So, i accepted their explanation, left the store and promptly phoned Giant to ask their opinion on the matter. They completely agreed with me in the fact that the play was not right and that it should be investigated more. I asked them if it could be one of the DU bushings in shock mounts and they said that it was most likely that. Giant told me that they would call the shop straight away and tell them to investigate it more. I returned my bike to the shop and now my rear shock is being sent back to Fox to have the bushings checked, so hopefully that will fix it.

Am i wrong to have disagreed with the LBS in this situation? Do they sound incompetent? If any remembers this is the same shop that told me that the initial play in my headset when the bike was brand new was just the headset "settling in".

Any thoughts on the problem?

Sorry for the rant people, needed to get it off my chest.

Cheers, Wal.
    Last edited by waldog; 02-08-2008 at 11:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I had that problem w/ my SC Nomad, it bugged me over over chattery stuff, I could hear the "clicking". I took it to a shop that deals SC, and had them service my bearings, and the problem was gone.

So, I would say, it's not normal. And if your lbs is saying that it is, go ask somewhere else.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by waldog
    ...I asked them if it could be one of the DU bushings in shock mounts and they said that it was most likely that. Giant told me that they would call the shop straight away and tell them to investigate it more. I returned my bike to the shop and now my rear shock is being sent back to Fox to have the bushings checked, so hopefully that will fix it.

Am i wrong to have disagreed with the LBS in this situation? Do they sound incompetent?
    first, i have to agree that it sounds like a worn DU bushing.
    second, if your LBS needs to send the shock back to fox to check and/or replace the DU bushings they are fully incompetent.
    find a new LBS and pick up one of these

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Definitely sounds like a DU bushing. Next time they wear out, give Fox a call and buy them direct from them (only a couple bucks). They are very easy to change yourself.

mtbr member
    Yeah you are smart to not let that stuff go without being fixed. Likely shock bushings, never happened to me with a Fox but happened all the time with the Manitou S-Types.

mtbr member
    A friend had a similar experience with his Trance and lbs. Any bushing play translates to a bad ride, and worse wear if its not remedied.
    My guess is some shops sell Giant as their most sophisticated mtb's and mechanics have gotten lazy?

Another friend had the NRS where Giants replacement bearing or bushings were no longer made~ he and his bike were s.o.l. This kind of stuff I need to look into before I buy that TranceX.

OH $#!% TREE!
    on a few occasions i have serviced bikes that had some lateral play in the linkage and it turned out to just be the mounting hardware bolts, they were just a hair too long which would not put enough preload on the bearings......just a thought.
    Originally Posted by DJBiker

"I went to the doctor and told him "hey doc, it hurts when I go like this" and the doc said "well don't do that"

I HATE WINTER......

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The aluminum adapters and the brass/bronze(?) bushing at the top of the shock wear a bit. A little wear there is multiplied by the shock rocker arm ratio. So one-tenth of an inch wear at the top shock mounting results in (about) a startling three-tenths of an inch "slack" when lifting the bike by the saddle.

It just so happens that I replaced the top shock bushing and adapters on my Trance today! Took the slack out - again - as I have done this before on my Trance.

Seems to me your lbs is not too bright regarding rear suspension linkages and stuff. Not too bright at all. AKA dumb sh*ts. Or maybe just uninformed and inadequately trained.

Best wishes,
    Terry

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The same thing happened with my Trance last week. I used a press to push the lower DU bushing out of the shock and replaced it with a new one and then did the same with the other. Now it's good to go and it took me under 10 minutes, no slop, no play.

Tough luck with that shop experience. I'd definitely look for another shop -- DU bushing replacement is one of the easiest tasks a wrench can ask to do. And if they take out a set of sockets and a hammer to do your bushings, grab your shock and run.

If the reducer hardware is worn, it's cheap to replace and readily available.
    Support your local advocacy group: FVMBA!

Scott is a tool.
    Thanks for the replies. Really don't have alot of confidence and only took it back to that shop due to it being the place of purchase and therefore my warranty should be honoured there.

Will keep you posted.

Wal.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by waldog
    Thanks for the replies. Really don't have alot of confidence and only took it back to that shop due to it being the place of purchase and therefore my warranty should be honoured there.

Will keep you posted.

Wal.
    Good luck. I'd call BS on the shop too, and I'd call or e-mail Giant too, just to let them know that one of its retailers is giving a customer an unpleasant experience.
    Support your local advocacy group: FVMBA!

I AM I AM
    I had my DU bushings develop play after about a years riding on the Trance, I don't know probably around 2000k's. I felt up/down play like you & thought it was the saddle at first, but consulted the forums on thoughts and turned out to be the DU bushings. I sent my shock away to a good bike store & they replaced them for me & sent the shock back for $50Au.

Your shops sounds pretty crap, sure it's fine if they don't know about suspensions & servicing forks etc as not all shops do, but they should at least say so. I think you'll find wear on bushings probably isn't covered by warranty anyway (wear & tear items).

Hope you get your shock back soon so you can get back on the bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0