Trance or Trance 29? (Or Anthem adv?)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Trance or Trance 29? (Or Anthem adv?)

So, Iím primarily an xc racer and mostly race on an anthem advanced 29, which I love (occasionally on a ht). In 2019, Iím planning on acquiring a more trail oriented bike for times when I want something more rugged than my xc race bike. This is not to replace my race bike but rather give me another option when maybe the downhills are rougher, the trails are rockier, etc.

I am only looking at these three options, focusing more on the bike in general and not so much the component spec of different levels. For me, I will be getting the lower level advanced (carbon) model for each and customizing as I see fit.

Anthem Advanced (27.5)
    Originally, I was thinking about just getting an anthem advanced (27.5) since I could feasibly race it on chunky twisty races (not that the anthem 29 has shown any weaknesses there per se). Positives: a little more travel, more xc focused which is what Iím used to, wheel size variety (can also share wheels with my wife).

Trance (27.5)
    This is another great option I see to have more versatility since it has more suspension and capacity for larger tires than the anthem. Positives: considerably different than the anthem 29, bigger 27.5 tire clearance, can share wheelsets with my wife.

Trance 29
    This is intriguing, and the reviews of people whoíve actually ridden the bike are glowing. I was originally thinking that Iíd get a 27.5 to add more variety since my current two bikes are 29. I also wonder if this would be rather similar to my anthem 29, just slacker and a little bit more suspension. Positives: I know I like 29, can share wheels with my anthem 29, reviews are very positive.

I will try and ride what I can before hand, but for the deal I get on giants, Iíll have to order it. Iím basically just looking for feedback or ideas. Iíve got plenty of time before I am putting an order in.

So, what would you do if you were me in this situation?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I have a trance advance 27.5 and an XTC 29. I love my trance, but if I was gong to race I would get a trance 29 despite the fact I have not ridden one. I anticipate it will be a great ride and looking forward to riding one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks. Yeah, Iíll continue to race the anthem 29 primarily, but could see a trance 29 being good for races with harder and longer downhill sections or for rougher endurance races as another option.

I also wouldnít mind just having a bike for goofing off and backcountry riding with friends and family who ride when I donít need to be competitive and fast and just have fun.

mtbr member
    Your last paragraph to me = Trance 29

WillWorkForTrail
    I have a friend who has an Anthem 27.5 and a Trance 27.5 that he switches up the way you're talking about. Since you're on an Anthem 29, I think I'd go Trance 29.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by cirecc View Post
    Thanks. Yeah, Iíll continue to race the anthem 29 primarily, but could see a trance 29 being good for races with harder and longer downhill sections or for rougher endurance races as another option.

I also wouldnít mind just having a bike for goofing off and backcountry riding with friends and family who ride when I donít need to be competitive and fast and just have fun.
    Up til recently itíd be go fast/race would be 29, playbike go 27.5. Not so much now with the new geo on ďmostĒ 29ers and also with using the analogy of riding ďsameĒ size wheels across the board Iíd have to ditto the T29 aswell. As for body size goes Iím ~5-7 riding a 29 ht and keeping that looking at the T29 for my all purpose bike! 
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Trance 29, but I'd go the Pro (carbon) not the alloy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks, guys. My plan is to get a carbon version of either bike. At this point, the anthem (27.5) is not being considered unless I hear any reasons to bring it back.

Iím getting my wife the liv intrigue first, which is basically a trance. I wonít be able to use it as a test for myself since sheís quite a bit shorter however.

Iím leaning toward the trance 29 but still undecided. The price increase was unfortunate as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cirecc View Post
    Thanks, guys. My plan is to get a carbon version of either bike. At this point, the anthem (27.5) is not being considered unless I hear any reasons to bring it back.

Iím getting my wife the liv intrigue first, which is basically a trance. I wonít be able to use it as a test for myself since sheís quite a bit shorter however.

Iím leaning toward the trance 29 but still undecided. The price increase was unfortunate as well.
    There are several versions of each. I'm a bit confused. Isn't the Intrigue a 150mm travel 27.5? That's way different than a Trance 29! Are you now looking at the Trance Advanced (in the 27.5 variety)? Which variants are you getting?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Well several versions it's just 29er and 27.5 in terms of frame/shock/fork difference on the Anthem or Trance.

The theme seems to be more more travel and slack geometry on the 27.5 versions and less on the 29er versions. I imagine we can expect the same the next Reign(s).

The previous SX and 27.5 versions seem to have merged into 1 version. I''m leaned toward the new 27.5 Anthem Advance as I currently ride a 2015 Anthem SX Advance but I'd like to demo that bike and the Trance 29er.